• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Bankruptcy Thread

Phoenician

Reaction score
Ugh, I hope not! Like Pasadena Man above, I have several of their items that have become staples and continue to buy. Maybe they can get their house in order or someome can buy them and return them to greatness

Southeasterly

Reaction score
I can’t say I’m surprised. Brooks had made some positive moves with the acquisition of Southwick, but their retail strategy still seemed woefully behind the times and muddled. The high end clothes are still pretty good value at sale prices, but they had a lot of crap. They carried a huge amount of inventory in stores and their online strategy has been sadly slow to evolve. The experience cultivated in their stores is akin to visiting an icky frat house. In all likelihood they will live on in some form. Hopefully they can be restructured in a positive way and maintain their factories. Even in these times, there are plenty of private equity firms that could potentially take them on. In the meantime, look out for what they’re dumping. Deals to be had!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your statement, give or take some details, was trotted out by "industry experts"
at each iteration of BB's existence for the past 30 plus years. The result: a secular
decline in style, quality, and profits. During this time they made numerous attempts
to expand their business with stylistic departures. Does anyone remember "Brooks
English" from the 90s a line of Savile Row -like clothing and shirts.I can't even
find it on Google. It vanished so quickly. I still have a shirt as an archeogical reference.
And then there was the Black Fleece adventure. They hired Thom Browne whose
own collections gave a second life to 80s kids' icon PeeWee Herman's style. Browne
was fortunately not given free reign from what I can see, but he seemed to produce
a line that was egregiously over priced for the typical Brooks customer.
As for private equity firms, they will likely turn it into The Burlington Coat Factory.

Last edited:

Phoenician

Reaction score
Your statement, give or take some details, was trotted out by "industry experts"
at each iteration of BB's existence for the past 30 plus years. The result: a secular
decline in style, quality, and profits. During this time they made numerous attempts
to expand their business with stylistic departures. Does anyone remember "Brooks
English" from the 90s a line of Savile Row -like clothing and shirts.I can't even
find it on Google. It vanished so quickly. I still have a shirt as an archeogical reference.
And then there was the Black Fleece adventure. They hired Thom Browne whose
own collections gave a second life to 80s kids' icon PeeWee Herman's style. Browne
was fortunately not given free reign from what I can see, but he seemed to produce
a line that was egregiously over priced for the typical Brooks customer.
As for private equity firms, they will likely turn it into The Burlington Coat Factory.

agreed, I see some PE firm doing the same that Caleres is doing to Allen Edmonds in gutting quality and the soul of the brand, and remodeling it into Cole-Haan‘s image

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agreed, I see some PE firm doing the same that Caleres is doing to Allen Edmonds in gutting quality and the soul of the brand, and remodeling it into Cole-Haan‘s image
So that is what's wrong with AE these days. I used to complain that their shoes lacked flair (which they did)
because the firm is based in Wisconsin where "plain and sturdy" is the aesthetic. Now I know that it is
cosmopolitan money men (women) who are destroying it.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So that is what's wrong with AE these days. I used to complain that their shoes lacked flair (which they did)
because the firm is based in Wisconsin where "plain and sturdy" is the aesthetic. Now I know that it is
cosmopolitan money men (women) who are destroying it.

who is destroying AE? Not sure I understand...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who is destroying AE? Not sure I understand...

Perhaps destroyed is harsh but it’s certainly morphed into something different.

I was walking down Michigan ave today and walked past the AE store. Front and center in the window display were leather sneakers. So their customer is now the middle aged man trying to be hip. All that’s missing is the rest of the ensemble complete with Tommy Bahama Jean shorts and a shirt with some form of game fish embroidered On the chest.

Alden is stodgy and pretty old fashioned too but somehow they are keeping themselves relevant without having to resort to selling sneakers.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps destroyed is harsh but it’s certainly morphed into something different.

I was walking down Michigan ave today and walked past the AE store. Front and center in the window display were leather sneakers. So their customer is now the middle aged man trying to be hip. All that’s missing is the rest of the ensemble complete with Tommy Bahama Jean shorts and a shirt with some form of game fish embroidered On the chest.

Alden is stodgy and pretty old fashioned too but somehow they are keeping themselves relevant without having to resort to selling sneakers.

you might be right but apparently what they were doing before wasn’t working either...not an easy business they’re in..

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
BB nowadays is just like any other mass-produced fashion brand, this is not surprising. And I really can't agree with their "mark high + high discount" sale tactic, literally making the brand name worthless. Still, their golden fleece stuff is good when they are on sale, that's probably the only thing I would get from BB now.

Btw, BB is probably the cheapest way to have a Thomas mason shirt. I take that as a plus.

BB11

Reaction score
Very sad, an icon. Guess I should keep that herringbone overcoat, maybe someday it will be worth something to someone.

BAK

Reaction score
“Brooks Brothers was born in the mind of the family not to make products in America but to import the best products from all around the world, so I don’t think we are going away from the original mission,” Mr. Del Vecchio added... “I can’t promise we will maintain products made in America, because honestly I don’t know of any factories in America right now that make products of the quality we made.”

What a joke on both counts. There are numerous American factories making better quality products than what BB is currently offering. And the "best from around the world" doesn't hold water either. They're charging top dollar for numerous Italian products that are sub par quality compared to to the American products they've replaced.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It’s also well known that “made in Italy” can just as well mean a Chinese factory that has relocated to somewhere in Italy.

Not judging. Just saying people should know the whole of what Italian made can and does mean.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads