• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bringing Home the Birkin

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone read Bringing Home the Birkin, by Michael Tonello? I may have just finished it, though I am not sure. It has some good anecdotes but is written in such an insultingly bad style that I couldn't read it through and so skipped around it in multiple attempts. So I am not sure if I have read all or just most of it. STill it was entertaining in sections. The book is about the authors' adventures buying "rare" handbags from Hermes shops around the world and reselling them to collectors. The most interesting facet of the book was the idea that someone could buy an Hermes Birkin bag at full retail and then make money flipping it at a profit. I can't quite fathom why a handbag would command a premium but, obviously, it does. PArt of the reason seems to be that Hermes claimed supply of the bags was very limited, creating artificial scarcity. Obviously, the scarcity was false as the author figured out he could buy a handbag if he spent about $1,000 on other stuff first (what he called his "Birkin Bait"). The author even managed to make a profit flipping the Hermes knick knacks he bought at full retail as his ticket to the Birkin purchases. Thanks to this board, I have been educated that Hermes may, in fact, make the best or amongst the best handbags in the world. What I don't understand is why a particular style of bag would become a status symbol. It brought about an interesting discussion with my wife about who would carry a birkin and who wouldn't. For example, she explained that moms at one school we had considered for our kids would likely carry birkins where moms in another would not. One of her friends, who liked to drape herself in diamonds, was not a Birkin woman (that isn't her world), whereas another one would love a birkin if she could have one. It was all very curious to me as I could not imagine how a particular handbag could convey status. My own experience with women's handbags has been limited to buying one for my wife from Loewe when we are in Spain, nearly buying one for her, which I am sure wasn't a birkin, at Hermes, chewing her out for buying a real Coach bag instead of a fake one and thinking I was being clever by having an April in Paris catalog sent to her only to have her toss it out without even mentioning it to me. Plus I once accompanied her to the "endangered species room" at Suarez in their old location. I can see how some bags are better made than others and some sizes and shapes and colors have different uses, but the fashion aspect escapes me. Who cares if the bag is rcognizable as made by LV, or Hermes or Goyard, or Botega or Kooba or whoever? It seems fundamentally different then male fashion, such as it is, which is focused on either a look or a brand name, but not on a particular item by a particular manufacturer (I think this is right - some of the SW&D guys can correct me). In any event, I can recommend borrowing the Bringing Home the Birkin book to anyone interested in a glimpse into a bizarre world. But please don't buy it. The author is grating enough as is and I would hate for him to think he should write another book (our copy was pre-read, forwarded by one of my wife's friends as part of an informal trash book reading club).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Obsession with status is one of the reasons why I use Gillette Mach 3 Turbo, rather than that Schick ****.

Surely, anything that vibrates has a leg up on a product that doesn't (you may steal this idea, Eric G.).

If I were socially secure, I would use a Bic disposable. I won't go as far as to get all the facial hair lasered off, despite its practical attraction, because of the fear of being too pretty in Federal penn.

- B

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Obsession with status is one of the reasons why I use Gillette Mach 3 Turbo, rather than that Schick ****.

Surely, anything that vibrates has a leg up on a product that doesn't (you may steal this idea, Eric G.).

If I were socially secure, I would use a Bic disposable. I won't go as far as to get all the facial hair lasered off, despite its practical attraction, because of the fear of being too pretty in Federal penn.

- B

Do you tape the Mach 3 Turbo to your face? Otherwise, I would imagine it is a struggle to keep bringing it up in conversation.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Do you tape the Mach 3 Turbo to your face? Otherwise, I would imagine it is a struggle to keep bringing it up in conversation.

Well, it is the main reason why I insist on the loop for a buttonhole. Flowers are so twentieth century.

When a cocktail party interloculor begins to drone on about the death of rules and so on, I simply turn on the Mach 3 stuck in my lapel...as it hums, believe me, they get the message that time has come to move on, and leave me be with my martini.

- B

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha!

I take your three-bladed Mach 3 and raise you a 5-bladed monster.

Now beat that! Or can you?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

If you were socially conscious, you would use a straight.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I was reading quickly and thought this thread was named "Bringing home the merkin." Pity.
Why the pity? Wouldn't you prefer to keep your merkin at your place of business? I am glad no one has read this book. It is a blight on the publishing industry. Would make a decent blog, though. But I am disappointed that no one has any insight into the Birkin bag phenomenon.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Bumped because I am bored. Did anyone else read this book?

You explicitly told us not to. What do you expect?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am glad no one has read this book. It is a blight on the publishing industry.
I guess I misinterpreted that as a recommendation against reading the book.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope havent read the book, but i have started the quest to get a Birkin for my wife, heck it one of the very rare times she has asked for something (had to be this!!), so let the quest begin.
Ofcourse if anyone has any ideas on how to make this any less painful...please lemme know.

Regards.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
Nope havent read the book, but i have started the quest to get a Birkin for my wife, heck it one of the very rare times she has asked for something (had to be this!!), so let the quest begin. Ofcourse if anyone has any ideas on how to make this any less painful...please lemme know. Regards.
According to the book, buy about $1,000 - $2,000 worth of other stuff, then ask if they have a Birkin. Sell the other crap on ebay if you don't want it.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
According to the book, buy about $1,000 - $2,000 worth of other stuff, then ask if they have a Birkin.
Sell the other crap on ebay if you don't want it.

You don't think that now that this guy has published a high-profile book about it every yahoo trying to flip things on ebay has tried it out already?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads