1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brightly-colored undershirts under button-ups

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dusty, Apr 28, 2010.

1. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

God I love Scrubs. I never watch it though [​IMG]

2. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

Love this one too (elastic cuffs notwithstanding), I think this is a designer from 45RPM:

[​IMG]

I love just about everything 45rpm puts out but this? [​IMG]

3. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

undershirts are not meant to be seen under dress shirts, period. i don't care what people's opinion on the matter is, you still look like a tool if you do it.

admittedly i used to wear a white crewneck undershirt under my button-downs with the top button undone and the white undershirt revealed, and thought it looked ok. now as my tastes are slightly more refined, i see people walking down the street these days revealing that same look and I just cringe inside. if your gonna rock the undershirt, it better be a white v-neck that doesnt show whatsoever.

4. dusty

dusty Senior member

now as my tastes are slightly more refined, i see people walking down the street these days revealing that same look and I just cringe inside.

What a fulfilling life you must lead.

5. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

I could see it being an interesting thing to but it'd have to contrast with your skin and then button-up shirt in a cool way to work. I agree with whoever said that none of the examples in this thread have really improved the outfit in a significant way. They're mostly not bad, just kind of there and in most cases I probably wouldn't even notice them.

6. TM79

TM79 Senior member

This is being overthought.

My own personal preference is v-neck undershirts that don't show.

But it's not like I'll judge someone or look down at someone for wearing a bright crewneck under a dark flannel.

There really shouldn't be a defined rulebook for style & fashion because then you're basically turning "well dressed" into yet another mall brand by producing cookie cutter outfits and molds. Kinda dumb if you ask me...

Whatever you can rock, rock.

7. YoPete525

YoPete525 Well-Known Member

So what happens if you've got a somewhat sheer, white shirt? Wouldn't a white v-neck undershirt show visible lines under the shirt near the collar?

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

It is being overthought. It's an option that can work, with the right kind of shirt and right kind and color of tee shirt. Relax.

9. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

poor man's ascot

10. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Snake - Thanks for your opinion but that fit (which I love) would be a hundred times less interesting without the undershirt. Not only does the color itself work very well, but the visible undershirt gives a nice vertical symmetry of casual-ness with the dirty sneakers.
    If by "less interesting" you mean "more attention grabbing" I agree, that undershirt makes me look and think, "God damn, that's an ugly ass undershirt"
    I read somewhere that long ago collared shirts were considered underwear.
    And suits were considered the most casual of social outfits.... times change
    Looking somewhat grungy is the goal here. It does look lame when incorporated into a very clean look, which is the image I think most people have for some reason. If your shirt situation is such that an undershirt adds visible bulk, I'd imagine you're going with a pretty clean silhouette most of the time.
    Grunge is the first thing I think of when I see a bright, clean tee
    So what happens if you've got a somewhat sheer, white shirt? Wouldn't a white v-neck undershirt show visible lines under the shirt near the collar?
    Just hide in your room for a few months reading SF and you'll be pale enough that it won't be distinguishable And y'allz is nasty, first you get brown collar/cuff rings after every wear of your shirts and now you have to wear undershirts to prevent pit stains? I get neither, even in the heart of summer

11. dusty

dusty Senior member

And y'allz is nasty, first you get brown collar/cuff rings after every wear of your shirts and now you have to wear undershirts to prevent pit stains? I get neither, even in the heart of summer

One day you'll hit puberty

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Aww, what a cute response

13. dusty

dusty Senior member

Maybe it'll even out those hormones too

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

^He has a point. Even with deoderant that shit sort of happens on its own. Being like "Y'all are gross for this natural bodily function" is like being the kid who makes fun of the "pizza face" in his middle school.

15. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

so wear a low-cut white/nude v-neck

16. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Oh that is what I do.

Though i've started playing with black V-necks under (thicker, darker colored) BD shirts. They read less as undershirts and more "shirts that are mostly concealed under a button up." And idk, a "pop" of black has a similar function as discussed above but with different connotation perhaps? I lack the vocabulary to describe such things, but my more visceral reaction to the look is that connotes sexuality maybe? Does anybody kind of sort of see what i'm saying?

17. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

man-cleavage promotes sexuality more [​IMG]

18. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

just because a shirt has buttons from top to bottom does not make it a dress shirt, american eagle does not sell dress shirts, they sell button ups or button downs (whatever you prefer)

coloured t-shirt under a flannel, madras, print etc. is fine if you're wearing it like an overshirt like you would a hoody over a t-shirt

"dress shirt" should be ubiquitous with ties and or blazers
    "undershirts" are the hanes shirts you can see through the dress shirt

just because it's a shirt and worn under something else doesn't make it an undershirt

19. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I don't like purpose-made 'undershirts' to be visible, but if you're layering, a good t-shirt under a casual button down is a nice look. (It looks moronic if one tries the look with a dress shirt though, imo).

That said, I'm a traditionalist and always prefer white t's. Black is a maybe, and colored t-shirts can backfire pretty badly. The contrast of the white T under the shirt is almost always successful for me. Underlayers should be kept neutral.

Otherwise, if it's warm, I'm all about a flash of bare chest [​IMG]

20. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

^He has a point. Even with deoderant that shit sort of happens on its own. Being like "Y'all are gross for this natural bodily function" is like being the kid who makes fun of the "pizza face" in his middle school.
    You old men know nothing of sarcasm, do you?