Brightly-colored undershirts under button-ups

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dusty, Apr 28, 2010.

1. naaaaate

naaaaate Senior member

I really just don't get you guys -- why should the undershirt be different than any other garment in providing an opportunity to add interesting color/texture to a fit? Who cares if undershirts are traditionally white and not visible? It seems like MC logic seeping into the SWD mindset.

Snake - Thanks for your opinion but that fit (which I love) would be a hundred times less interesting without the undershirt. Not only does the color itself work very well, but the visible undershirt gives a nice vertical symmetry of casual-ness with the dirty sneakers.

As another person who loves color and in fact owns no black clothing, I hate this too.

IMHO You're making the mistake of assuming that the existance of opportunity to do something is a valid reason to do it.

I think it's cool to wear a T under a button up only in the situation where the button up is a thick very non-dressy shirt like a flannel and left entirely open and I do that pretty often when I'm just feeling grungy and going to the grocery store or something, but if youre buttoning the shirt in any way then shit changes.

First of all having the T under the button up adds a layer of bulk which never looks good to me, it always looks stuffy. It also changes how the shirt lays and drapes on you, especially when the T is thicker than the button up, and generally they always are. When the button up is open then its okay because youre going for something drapey and layered and in this case the button up is a thicker more casual shirt, but again it changes when you have the button up closed.

One of the most appealing things about a button up with the top one/two buttons open is how the open neck & collar create a V shape displaying your head (like hands holding up your head saying hooray! the head!). Having the V open up but then get obstructed by a t shirt under it sacrifices that awesome thing for the tradeoff of a superficial color.

Anyways different strokes for different folks, even though I don't agree with you don't worry all the frat dudes and poorly dressed business casual men in the past decade are totally on board putting some nonsensical shirt on under a button up or polo.

Also I swear to god the next person who says "pop of color" will get a free gift of a pop of red in the shape of a knife wound courtesy of me, your friend, naaaaate.

2. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

As another person who loves color and in fact owns no black clothing, I hate this too.

IMHO You're making the mistake of assuming that the existance of opportunity to do something is a valid reason to do it.

I think it's cool to wear a T under a button up only in the situation where the button up is a thick very non-dressy shirt like a flannel and left entirely open and I do that pretty often when I'm just feeling grungy and going to the grocery store or something, but if youre buttoning the shirt in any way then shit changes.

First of all having the T under the button up adds a layer of bulk which never looks good to me, it always looks stuffy. It also changes how the shirt lays and drapes on you, especially when the T is thicker than the button up, and generally they always are. When the button up is open then its okay because youre going for something drapey and layered and in this case the button up is a thicker more casual shirt, but again it changes when you have the button up closed.

One of the most appealing things about a button up with the top one/two buttons open is how the open neck & collar create a V shape displaying your head (like hands holding up your head saying hooray! the head!). Having the V open up but then get obstructed by a t shirt under it sacrifices that awesome thing for the tradeoff of a superficial color.

Anyways different strokes for different folks, even though I don't agree with you don't worry all the frat dudes and poorly dressed business casual men in the past decade are totally on board putting some nonsensical shirt on under a button up or polo.

Also I swear to god the next person who says "pop of color" will get a free gift of a pop of red in the shape of a knife wound courtesy of me, your friend, naaaaate.

I think you're right on, especially with the way an undershirt adds bulk and how the V is aesthetically pleasing.

But as you yourself noted, there are exceptions. And so we can't dismiss the entire idea out of hand. It probably looks bad 90% of time but as always there are those who can make it look good too.

3. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

4. Melo

Melo Senior member

I think you guys are overthinking this.

5. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

My thoughts exactly. Undershirts are underwear.

I read somewhere that long ago collared shirts were considered underwear.

6. Listi

Listi Senior member

I think you're right on, especially with the way an undershirt adds bulk and how the V is aesthetically pleasing. But as you yourself noted, there are exceptions. And so we can't dismiss the entire idea out of hand. It probably looks bad 90% of time but as always there are those who can make it look good too.
    I agree that rules can be broken well. So far the examples posted don't look terrible? But in none of them do I see the shirt underneath improving the look. I've seen lots of horrible examples of people wearing tees under button downs, although admittedly mostly on random non-fashion people. I wouldn't go so far as to dismiss the idea so entirely to say it could never look good, but I think it's one of those things that will never become a trend because it's likely going to look bad most of the time even if you're making a planned match. @ahjota: My friend and I were reading up on this and iirc within the past 100 or 150 years or so it was considered wildy inappropriate for a man of any standing to be in mixed company while not wearing formal attire (tuxedo, or morning dress.) How things have changed. Although I'd be willing to bet they were the same then as now... Most people wearing horribly ill proportioned formal wear, and only a few stylish folk wearing nice stuff.

7. Zassiliss

Zassiliss Senior member

I totally agree with the whole notion of forming a V-shape when you unbutton the top two buttons on a dress shirt or button up shirt. That's why I wear V-necks.

A colored T-shirt under a collared shirt looks like you want to draw attention away from your face.

8. cazzzidy

cazzzidy Active Member

I have been doing this since I was a kid. It's fun and gives you a way to a tie an outfit together. You can repeat an accent color from your pants or shoes or socks or whatever up top. I have at least 6 bright AA shirts for this purpose.

Resistance to this concept is absurd. Pretending that "white" is truly neutral or invisible and is appropriate under any open collared shirt is just bad color sense, imo.

9. Listi

Listi Senior member

Beige deep v-neck is the best undershirt.

I like to pair my socks and my underwear. Bright orange is my favourite, but pink or purple works too.

10. ma1

ma1 Senior member

It's very easy to do wrong (i think the waywt pic in the green shirt looks terrible). And if it's done wrong, it makes you look like a manchild who cant dress himself.

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

I have been doing this since I was a kid. It's fun and gives you a way to a tie an outfit together. You can repeat an accent color from your pants or shoes or socks or whatever up top. I have at least 6 bright AA shirts for this purpose.

No.

I think br and jcrew have people conditioned into thinking it's cool yet this is exactly what I think of when I see this "Ah mall brand customer". It says hey look at my ingenuity at pairing this shirt that has a pop of color under my boring mall brand clothes.

and +1 to anyone saying pop of color again btw

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

This is not accurate. My assertions are that it can make a fit look better, which is a valid reason to do it in such cases, and that many of the commonly cited aversions (e.g. it's underwear) are not valid reasons to not do it.
    I think it's cool to wear a T under a button up only in the situation where the button up is a thick very non-dressy shirt like a flannel and left entirely open and I do that pretty often when I'm just feeling grungy and going to the grocery store or something, but if youre buttoning the shirt in any way then shit changes. First of all having the T under the button up adds a layer of bulk which never looks good to me, it always looks stuffy. It also changes how the shirt lays and drapes on you, especially when the T is thicker than the button up, and generally they always are. When the button up is open then its okay because youre going for something drapey and layered and in this case the button up is a thicker more casual shirt, but again it changes when you have the button up closed.
    Looking somewhat grungy is the goal here. It does look lame when incorporated into a very clean look, which is the image I think most people have for some reason. If your shirt situation is such that an undershirt adds visible bulk, I'd imagine you're going with a pretty clean silhouette most of the time.
    I agree that the V is a consideration but I don't feel like it's so crucial that it has to be done all the time. Yeah it's superficial (pop of) color, but who gives a shit? So are ascots and light scarves. It seems ridiculous to even talk about superficial visual elements derisively w/r/t clothing design. Sidenote: Are you guys having any fun with your clothes at all?
    I think br and jcrew have people conditioned into thinking it's cool
    Or your compulsive J Crew axe-grinding is clouding your reasoning?

13. Robert

Robert Senior member

For me it depends on the shirt. I think it can look OK with flannel or workwear kinds of shirts.

& you know what about jet? give the guy a break. I have a lot of respect for anyone who evidently dresses so far outside the norm. He must have to take a lot of grief.

14. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

i've been doing this lately with casual button ups sort of like an accessory, instead of wearing say a summer scarf which makes no sense

15. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Senior member

I think you guys are overthinking this.

that makes at least two of us... [​IMG]