• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Arsig

Reaction score
Beautiful job. Well done. How did you come by yours? And how old do you think these are? And I envy you of having a key :)

My63

Reaction score

I think that one came from a well known auction site I became a little obsessed with Pendragon they have a very interesting history starting off as a T B colony making Papworth travel goods brand name Pendragon. Who were eventually taken over by Swaine Aideny Brigg unless I have misread the history of the company.
The above picture shows my current collection that are awaiting restoration one of which I have started and I also have another I have just finished.. Yep I am obsessed I did have a grand plan to sell them but I am not very good at that :)

These locks are still hand made in the UK I am pretty sure I can get a key cut if not I can cut an old key to fit the lock for you if you would like one. Just send me a message.

Arsig

Reaction score
Now that is interesting. You seem to have a nice collection going on there. Prolly different years based on the type of locks. Yes I would sure appreciate a key for mine if you can furnish one. Do you think there a "one" to fit them all? Anyhow I´m rewatching the old movie "Fahrenheit 451" and despite it´s "retro-future" one of the key actors walks around with a Pendragon (although a darker version) see pics. Thought you might enjoy a look. If you want to furnish me with a key you can connect on FB: https://www.facebook.com/arsig

My63

Reaction score
Working out the age is very difficult as these cases have evolved slowly over the years even the locks have not changed much mine have the three position lock and yours has the single position one. Those two choices are still available today along with a square version. The locks are very simple single lever locks and the keys are just as simple the key in my first picture is one that I made myself. I bought a new lock when I made my new case here are all of the components laid out on the leather ready to start detail cutting and assembly.

There is one small clue to date some cases the handle usually has a metal liner but I have found one which has a wood liner I presume this might be a war years case when metal would not have been available

This is the inside of a handle the round section at the end holds a metal sleeve to allow the handle to rotate on the posts. I took me some time to work out how these are wrapped in leather but I did get there in the end..

I never intended to start a collection I started leatherwork as part of a physical therapy programme recovering from an accident much like the original Papworth organisation helping those T B sufferers to recover so I am not a professional I just have lots of time.. There is a lot more detail on my blog but I don't know if I am allowed to mention it here. I am sorry to say I don't use facebook I do have some old keys that can be cut to lock your case if you want an original key I will approach the manufacturer and ask if a key can be bought individually a new lock is only £30 + postage so I cant see a key being that much

I am not sure who made the case in your pictures but I am pretty sure I have seen that style of lock somewhere maybe earlier in this thread

My63

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in how far a restoration can go I thought I would share the pictures of the case I have just finished.

This case has two dividers so to be a little different I turned one around and added a high quality brass zip to form a padded pocket for a laptop or tablet.

Not content with adding the pocket I also replaced the torn gusset panel and made a shoulder strap

Here are the components ready for the cognac suede lining there was a small tear in the front panel by the hasp which I repaired by thinning down the leather and adding a backing piece.

I used a Barbour waxed linen thread and hand stitched the whole case back together

Finished and good for another 50 years
Thanks for looking
Michael

My63

Reaction score
I mentioned earlier that one of my reasons for doing restorations was to learn how the cases were made. I have wanted such a case for many years so I built up the necessary parts while buying other items until all I needed was the English Bridle leather as Sedgewicks was recommended by the supplier that was what I bought. Abbey England supplied everything for this project.
Buying all of the items together was cost prohibitive for me so after six months I had everything necessary.

The first cut was the hardest after that it was a deep breath before each cut.

Here are all of the components laid out ready for detail cutting and lining then assembly

Those of you who are interested may ask why the green thread that is actually a hint to the inner lining which is green suede.

You may also notice there are a few stitches out of line but everything including the stitching was done by hand and one of mine does not work too well so I had to keep stopping and every restart can be seen which is a shame but I still think it is great.

So when I say hats off to masters such as Ray Clark I know how hard they are to make.

I am sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks great for a first attempt! Very impressive that you pulled that off. Hats off to you.

Is that the London Tan?

Last edited:

My63

Reaction score
Thanks Jr Mouse Yes it is indeed London Tan English bridle leather I had restored and sold a Pendragon case which I really liked. Fortunately I had taken a pattern from it so I was able to make the one shown above.

At this time I have no plans to make another and to be honest with the price that you can buy them for I prefer to continue with the restorations I am considering opening an Etsy store in the new year to sell the restored cases.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks Jr Mouse Yes it is indeed London Tan English bridle leather I had restored and sold a Pendragon case which I really liked. Fortunately I had taken a pattern from it so I was able to make the one shown above.

At this time I have no plans to make another and to be honest with the price that you can buy them for I prefer to continue with the restorations I am considering opening an Etsy store in the new year to sell the restored cases.

Do it! That would be really interesting to see and I bet there is a market for it.

My63

Reaction score

Do it! That would be really interesting to see and I bet there is a market for it.

Thanks for the support I made two last year and I sold both of them through another forum. I try to keep the prices as low as possible and there is not a great deal of profit in each one compared to the amount of time they take to restore. So passing a percentage to Etsy does not really appeal to me.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I also imagine there is. Very difficult to charge for the amount of time a good restoration takes though!

My63

Reaction score
I also imagine there is. Very difficult to charge for the amount of time a good restoration takes though!

You are quite right finding the right price is very difficult my leather work is part of my physiotherapy following an accident some years ago.
I still believe my work has value and I take great care to ensure it is of a high standard. The first two sold for around £300 sterling which I am quite happy with. I have only advertised the third one on the two fountain pen forums I frequent and although there has been some interest it has not sold even after price reduction..I thought I would look at other options like Etsy or Ebay I have a blog but don't have a web site as most of the things I make are custom pen cases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads