• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Underwood London briefcase with Palladium hardware.

e6ow1f.jpg

1zexm4l.jpg

n355ec.jpg

9ir9ud.jpg

Nice lock! Weird handle!

Arsig

Reaction score
Found a very distressed Pendragon for $14. Cleaned it up a bit. Prolly pre 1950. Anyone have a clue how old this model is? Also I tried not to overdo the restoration so as for it to retain some of it's "patina".

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who likes detailed reviews of semi-bespoke items? Well, buckle up then. This is long, but there is a short blurb at the top to summarize

Maker: Henry Tomkins Leather
Style: Briefcase Lite with many modifications
Price: 250 GBP (including 45 GBP for shipping)
Leather: Veg Tanned leathe, color option light brown)
Lead time: 8 weeks (usually 4, he had a backlog)

The Result: EXCELLENT. Would highly recommend, few small attention to detail points, but all in all amazing bag for the price.

More detail:

First off, working with Henry is wonderful. he is an extremely nice man, knowledgeable in his craft and willing to work with you on his bags. His bags can be customized in a number of ways, all of which he is willing to design piece by piece with you.

Ordering is really easy, his website is well designed with clear instructions. he is responsive to e-mails and phone calls. He lists a number of pricing options for extras on his website and will clearly outline what other things will cost as you design them. There are no surprises.

I received the bag today, here are some pictures of details:

Luckily I had my trusty cat helping me make sure the box was completely empty

The Bag came nicely wrapped in corrugated paper, well protected, no damage during shipping

The cat is still checking the box, the bag on the otherhand looked damned amazing

You can see a small cut in the upper piece of leather, it was filled and it seems to be the only one like it on the bag. not noticeable, doesn't affect the use of the bag. The rivets are sturdy and seem like they will last a long time

Detailed shot of the locking mechanism

With the flap closed in the lowest position

This is the standard pocket divider that all of his bags have. Two pens, a card holder and a slot pocket

he has an option for a zippred back pouch, however I wanted a cleaner look, so I went for this newspaper slot instead. This was an expensive option, but worth it in my mind (25 GBP for the zippered pouch option + 10 GBP for the newspaper design instead of a zipper)

Front of the bag flat

This set of interior dividers was a 25GBP option. gusseted pockets, a very nice catch all for everything. The lanyard clip is for keys, a very nice option that was free.

Another shot of the gusseted pouches

Overall, I love the bag. It is going to lst a very long time and will age amazingly I am sure. The leather is softer than I expected, i thought the side gussets would be stiffer, but it is a really nice feel to it.

Any Questions, feel free to ask!

Marc
Hi All,

It has been just over a year since I bought my Henry Tomkins bag and wrote the review above. I figured it would be a good time to review an show some more pictures and details

overall, the bad is a strong 7.5/10 for me a year on. I have absolutely no regrets buying it, I just wish a few small things were a bit higher quality

The good: The bag has held up rather well, no damage, the bag is still very solid, it is gaining a nice patina and I think it will be solid for many years to come. It is able to hold my laptop, charger, and assorted notepads, pens, phones etc. To be fair, it isn't used when I travel on the train, and it isn't used every day, however I have no doubt that it would be fine if I did.

The bad: There is a bit too much wear on the metal parts and along the seams for my liking. The leather finish is a bit soft as well, it easily scratches and rubs, but it isn't so bad that it detracts I don't think.

For me, the biggest downside has to be the way that the metal on the lock has worn. All in all though, I do think it is an excellent bag, and for the price it is tough to not want another one.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Marc

DavidHL

Reaction score
Hi All,

It has been just over a year since I bought my Henry Tomkins bag and wrote the review above. I figured it would be a good time to review an show some more pictures and details

overall, the bad is a strong 7.5/10 for me a year on. I have absolutely no regrets buying it, I just wish a few small things were a bit higher quality

The good: The bag has held up rather well, no damage, the bag is still very solid, it is gaining a nice patina and I think it will be solid for many years to come. It is able to hold my laptop, charger, and assorted notepads, pens, phones etc. To be fair, it isn't used when I travel on the train, and it isn't used every day, however I have no doubt that it would be fine if I did.

The bad: There is a bit too much wear on the metal parts and along the seams for my liking. The leather finish is a bit soft as well, it easily scratches and rubs, but it isn't so bad that it detracts I don't think.

For me, the biggest downside has to be the way that the metal on the lock has worn. All in all though, I do think it is an excellent bag, and for the price it is tough to not want another one.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Marc

Thank you for the updated review on the Henry Tomkins briefcase!

bpgf

Reaction score
Hrothgar Stibbon ziptop twin compartment bridle leather case. I was looking for a more casual look that would be functional for my line of work. I can not say enough about Roth. He was extremely helpful throughout the process and I am very happy with the final product. Thanks to everyone on this site, gathered a lot of great information and ideas from the posters here.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ray Clark ran out of business for good this time? 

I think he might have been selling his last remaining stock, I know he was slowly thinking about starting to retire some time ago

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads