• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
It's certainly very nice. But I find cases with straps like that annoying when I want to get something out quickly. I had a D & G one with a single big strap that I gave away for that reason. It looked great but was not user friendly.

The easiest to use are ones like the Berluti Deux Jours mentioned above. It zips at the top so you can easily get your papers in and out.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is the great trade-off. Makers who use the bridle leather and other things that will last for a century don't like to rely on flimsy little zippers. Too bad-- I am impatient and disorganized. So much as I like the idea of that tan bag, it's a Clegg bound-edge zip-top for my Christmas this year. :D

Maybe some day I'll get my brain around the Marcellino fastener, which could be a useful compromise. Or just accept that I move too slowly to stress about buckles.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
That is the great trade-off. Makers who use the bridle leather and other things that will last for a century don't like to rely on flimsy little zippers. Too bad-- I am impatient and disorganized. So much as I like the idea of that tan bag, it's a Clegg bound-edge zip-top for my Christmas this year.
biggrin.gif

Maybe some day I'll get my brain around the Marcellino fastener, which could be a useful compromise. Or just accept that I move too slowly to stress about buckles.

That's a fair point.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I love checking out this thread every so often to see some really good original work, but i got to say there are some really and i mean really true hack makers on here that think they offer something better than SAB or Hermes. Are you kidding?

Take this hack leather guy above me who out right took my Hampton Combination lock, put it on the same style of briefcase as i do and posts it on this forum without any acknowledgment to me, as if he is some special original creator better than SAB, when he is nothing more than these dime a dozen leather guys who are feeding at the bottom of the barrel. Have some dignity and be original.

i didn't create this classic briefcase form or some of the other locks we all use, but I have made THE MOST variety of them and have MANY original styles, closing mechanisms, and particular attributes to the way i build and when someone is going to copy it they can at least be man enough to acknowledge it.

I was the first EVER and only one to install the "clock lock" on this style of briefcase. I tested it and installed it many times to this classic briefcase form as an alternative to the key lock that everyone is using. http://marcellinony.com/modern-locks and here is the products page http://marcellinony.com/product-category/combination-locks/

In fact "clock lock" is MY wording. These guys troll my website and posts on here, directly rip my words and styles and re-post comparing themselves as alternatives to great companies like LV or Dunhill. I've met many of the SF members in real life and made cases for them through the years and they are not that stupid to believe this hack forger and the old "your money goes to that brand identity" routine that every crappy low quality un-original "bag maker" is parroting.

You are a faker and whoever is carrying your briefcase carries an inferior replica of the Marcellino Hampton Clock Lock Briefcase. Nothing unique about it.

@Concordia - from a maker's perspective, i highly recommend a Clegg bag, one of the best original leather makers we have in America today. If its worth anything, my hat goes off to him. I've seen his work through the years, and it is phenomenal quality and the way he installs zippers on these thick leather bags is an art-form, something that is difficult to do and why most stay away from them.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love checking out this thread every so often to see some really good original work, but i got to say there are some really and i mean really true hack makers on here that think they offer something better than SAB or Hermes. Are you kidding?

Take this hack leather guy above me who out right took my Hampton Combination lock, put it on the same style of briefcase as i do and posts it on this forum without any acknowledgment to me, as if he is some special original creator better than SAB, when he is nothing more than these dime a dozen leather guys who are feeding at the bottom of the barrel. Have some dignity and be original.

i didn't create this classic briefcase form or some of the other locks we all use, but I have made THE MOST variety of them and have MANY original styles, closing mechanisms, and particular attributes to the way i build and when someone is going to copy it they can at least be man enough to acknowledge it.

I was the first EVER and only one to install the "clock lock" on this style of briefcase. I tested it and installed it many times to this classic briefcase form as an alternative to the key lock that everyone is using. http://marcellinony.com/modern-locks and here is the products page http://marcellinony.com/product-category/combination-locks/

In fact "clock lock" is MY wording. These guys troll my website and posts on here, directly rip my words and styles and re-post comparing themselves as alternatives to great companies like LV or Dunhill. I've met many of the SF members in real life and made cases for them through the years and they are not that stupid to believe this hack forger and the old "your money goes to that brand identity" routine that every crappy low quality un-original "bag maker" is parroting.

You are a faker and whoever is carrying your briefcase carries an inferior replica of the Marcellino Hampton Clock Lock Briefcase. Nothing unique about it.

@Concordia - from a maker's perspective, i highly recommend a Clegg bag, one of the best original leather makers we have in America today. If its worth anything, my hat goes off to him. I've seen his work through the years, and it is phenomenal quality and the way he installs zippers on these thick leather bags is an art-form, something that is difficult to do and why most stay away from them.

Do you hold any patents on those designs/trademark on "clock lock", etc.?

letsi

Reaction score

I love checking out this thread every so often to see some really good original work, but i got to say there are some really and i mean really true hack makers on here that think they offer something better than SAB or Hermes.  Are you kidding?

Take this hack leather guy above me who out right took my Hampton Combination lock, put it on the same style of briefcase as i do and posts it on this forum without any acknowledgment to me, as if he is some special original creator better than SAB, when he is nothing more than these dime a dozen leather guys who are feeding at the bottom of the barrel.  Have some dignity and be original.

I was the first EVER and only one to install the "clock lock" on this style of briefcase.  I tested it and installed it many times to this classic briefcase form as an alternative to the key lock that everyone is using.   http://marcellinony.com/modern-locks and here is the products page http://marcellinony.com/product-category/combination-locks/

In fact "clock lock" is MY wording.  These guys troll my website and posts on here, directly rip my words and styles and re-post comparing themselves as alternatives to great companies like LV or Dunhill.  I've met many of the SF members in real life and made cases for them through the years and they are not that stupid to believe this hack forger and the old "your money goes to that brand identity" routine that every crappy low quality un-original "bag maker" is parroting. 

@Concordia - from a maker's perspective, i highly recommend a Clegg bag, one of the best original leather makers we have in America today.  If its worth anything, my hat goes off to him.  I've seen his work through the years, and it is phenomenal quality and the way he installs zippers on these thick leather bags is an art-form, something that is difficult to do and why most stay away from them. 

Those are pretty heavy accusations, I believe SAB has been using the round lock since many years ago or are you upset about people using your description?

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@PCK1 - no. it's not a legal thing, more like an artist integrity thing

@letsi - that lock he is using is not the "SAB" key lock I'm talking about which has been installed by many for over 100 years.

I'm talking about my combination clock lock and putting it on this classic briefcase style and yes I'm upset when these hacks copy me without credit.

shanetrudell

Reaction score
Take this hack leather guy above me who out right took my Hampton Combination lock, ...

Some really serious allegations here. It seems that you have an entitlement to the creative or intellectual rights for this hardware component, though I'm not sure how this can be. I purchased these locks direct from the manufacturer, the Italian hardware company MMC di Colombo, and the lock is patented by them, under this explicit website category:

http://www.mmcolombo.it/en/products-catalogue/patented-articles.html

JP's language is deliberately deceptive, not to mention his allowance of SF members to suggest that his was a failure to properly protect his creative property. In fact, he has none at all.

If JP's other suggestion is that it is his procurement of the latch that is novel and here-imitated, I would charge him for pettiness if it were true, but this is also false. I first found the MMC Clock Lock suggested by the Japanese hand-stitch bag maker TRUNK (http://tenui-kaban.jp/leatherbags.html). TRUNK freely shares information, running a school to teach techniques, as well as publishing books, highlighting various techniques as well as materials and suppliers. TRUNK understands bespoke business are about relationships, not a particular piece of metal or leather. Clearly, JP feels differently - that somehow his procurements are proprietary? They are certainly fully branded as his own.

In the Japanese text "The Book of Dulles Bag Making" published October 2013, (http://www.bestfromjapan.com/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=19790), sits the following page which I've photographed from my copy:

Here, referred to as the "Clock Lock" and recommended for the traditional English bridle case. So not only did JP Marcellino not create the lock, JP Marcellino is not the creator of this application. The casemaking/leatherworking supplier Countless River (http://www.countless-river.com/br_Lock.html) carries this lock (Clock no.1) right beside the standard round Liston so often used for these cases, clearly offered as a direct alternative for the same application. Looks like with the current exchange any of you too could have this lock for about 90 bucks. Though you'd have to face the vitriol of JP for some reason, perhaps his prices reflect his non-existent process of invention?

This lock is neither a secret, nor a novel application, and not even remotely the creative genesis of JP Marcellino. The nomenclature is not only unoriginal by JP, but also just obvious - it's literally a clock lock, by which one locks their case via setting a time on the clock face. However, the claims JP Marcellino has made are clearly deceitful and slanderous and I seriously question the remainder of the artistic integrity he so righteously flaunts here. For JP, his claims about this lock seem central to his business - for me, this is just another component I use, a lovely one, along with other materials, techniques, and design ethics to create for my clients an expression of their needs in the language of the case. I'm happy to pass on the above sources to anyone who might make use of it.

I leave judgement to the community, but I think we are all owed an explanation to the source of JP Marcellino's deceitful and wrong-proven claims, and that I am owed an apology for his vitriolic insult of my craft and my business. I have no idea how he could defend his outright lying though, so perhaps instead we will just hear how he invented the "New York Awl" and the "Brooklyn Blade" and all other cutters-and-stitchers of leather cases are hack and imitator.

Cheers,
Shane Trudell

ap10046

Reaction score
Lads, you are both masters in your field, undoubtedly. I'm sure, this can be amicably laid to rest, should there have arisen, misunderstanding, question or doubt, personally and not on an open forum?
I don't mean to intrude, but...

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lads, you are both masters in your field, undoubtedly. I'm sure, this can be amicably laid to rest, should there have arisen, misunderstanding, question or doubt, personally and not on an open forum?
I don't mean to intrude, but...
^^ This. Let us not allow this excellent thread to devolve...Both of your offerings are seemingly top notch...

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
1 - be a man and talk to me direct don't refer to "JP" or appeal to the community. You are a HACK and i am calling you out. Ive seen too many of you guys take credit for bad work while putting down others. it's funny you compare yourself to HERMES and SAB? When this is probably a part time job that you do on the weekend.

2 - re-read my post, slowly. i never said i invented or hold any patents to the lock. i invented the style, on the double strap bridle leather briefcase

3 - i normally don't bother with you bad leather guys that make 1 cheap briefcase per month. Make your crap and talk, you won't be here in a couple of years. I only make this public so people understand the HARD WORK i put in in developing this particular lock style (not the actual components. i do not only install the factory lock style, i actually have different shapes made for me and i put the parts in unique ways on the cases.)

4 - never heard of the bag maker Trunk or that magazine, don't speak Japanese and i've referred to "clock lock" before 2013 - don't try and "appeal to authority." appeal to YOUR work, but you have none so you copy and put down others and refer to a magazine where you learned your leather working skills? Please.

5 - "TRUNK understands bespoke business are about relationships, not a particular piece of metal or leather. Clearly, JP feels differently - that somehow his procurements are proprietary? They are certainly fully branded as his own. - With the 3 styles you have and 1 a copy of mine, you haven't earned the right to understand "bespoke" or "business" or to tell me about my branding or even the fashion business. Who are you and where are you from? I invented many unique styles from handles, locks to linings. What have you done that is original?

6 - again, i never said my "procurements are proprietary" - i teach students my style all the time but they have enough respect to give me credit. You posted that briefcase as if you came up with the style.

7 - "This lock is neither a secret, nor a novel application, and not even remotely the creative genesis of JP Marcellino. The nomenclature is not only unoriginal by JP...I'm happy to pass on the above sources to anyone who might make use of it." - NO RESPECT from a hack who probably lives in his mothers basement and types boldly on the computer. You attempt to undermine my business with this and that is very very serious!

@Marc Voorhees and
@ap10046 - i appreciate that, but i take my art form and livelihood serious. This is my life's work and a brand that i have developed through years with hard work and when these guys are in the same breadth, undermining my brand, ripping my style and putting down other major brands i have to call it what it is. I am defending myself from another forger.

he needs to keep his mouth shut, apologize and acknowledge that he is my clone

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads