• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Competitors having shots at eachother on a public forum is pretty boring. No doubt it is important to the competitors to get their point across but to the rest of us it's a distraction. Take it outside. Or if it's such a big deal take it to court.

At the end of the day, I don't give a toss about who invented the lock or what was in some Japanese magazine.

If the product is what I want I will buy it. I suspect the rest of the people here are the same.

If other members are bagging a product (like Gianni's ties) then I will take notice. If a competitor is doing it then it's grain of salt stuff.

Last edited:

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
"to the rest of us it's a distraction" - I'm curious, a distraction from what? the which bag should i buy question?

there have been other makers posting their issues on this thread before if i recall.

yes, court is a good option and not off the table.

I needed to make my view public and I'm done unless he challenges more.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
"to the rest of us it's a distraction" - I'm curious, a distraction from what? the which bag should i buy question?

there have been other makers posting their issues on this thread before if i recall.

yes, court is a good option and not off the table.

I needed to make my view public and I'm done unless he challenges more.

It's a distraction from posts featuring wonderful briefcases which, after all, is the point of this thread.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
in that case here is a new briefcase style.

This is called the Ulysses 2551 it is a single compartment full size briefcase made in red English bridle leather with some modern style cuts to the flap and depth to the buckle hasp. The buckle is my original T4 super strong, light 7075 aluminum alloy quick release lock that is faced in red bridle leather. The handle is a fishtail flat internally built out to give it also some depth and a firm grip.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A bit of a Satanic edge-- or will that be a Texas Longhorn when it's properly faded?

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Haha, i should call it devil red because it does bring that out right? but i do like the Longhorn idea. Either way i wanted it to say power.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice touch on the tail as well.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
what do you mean on the tail, the bottom part pf the lock? i think you are seeing something in the case that i did not intend or don't see and i think that is great. best left to the individuals imagination.

here is the Teufel briefcase (it's German) i did a few months ago that is in the same family, I brushed out the edges in this one to give a "smoked" look. This one is going to be on display all month at the Art League of Long Island if anyone wants to check it out in real life and will also be in the 60th annual juror exhibition.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I love checking out this thread every so often to see some really good original work, but i got to say there are some really and i mean really true hack makers on here that think they offer something better than SAB or Hermes.  Are you kidding?

Take this hack leather guy above me who out right took my Hampton Combination lock, put it on the same style of briefcase as i do and posts it on this forum without any acknowledgment to me, as if he is some special original creator better than SAB, when he is nothing more than these dime a dozen leather guys who are feeding at the bottom of the barrel.  Have some dignity and be original.

i didn't create this classic briefcase form or some of the other locks we all use, but I have made THE MOST variety of them and have MANY original styles, closing mechanisms, and particular attributes to the way i build and when someone is going to copy it they can at least be man enough to acknowledge it.

I was the first EVER and only one to install the "clock lock" on this style of briefcase.  I tested it and installed it many times to this classic briefcase form as an alternative to the key lock that everyone is using.   http://marcellinony.com/modern-locks and here is the products page http://marcellinony.com/product-category/combination-locks/

In fact "clock lock" is MY wording.  These guys troll my website and posts on here, directly rip my words and styles and re-post comparing themselves as alternatives to great companies like LV or Dunhill.  I've met many of the SF members in real life and made cases for them through the years and they are not that stupid to believe this hack forger and the old "your money goes to that brand identity" routine that every crappy low quality un-original "bag maker" is parroting. 

You are a faker and whoever is carrying your briefcase carries an inferior replica of the Marcellino Hampton Clock Lock Briefcase. Nothing unique about it.

@Concordia - from a maker's perspective, i highly recommend a Clegg bag, one of the best original leather makers we have in America today.  If its worth anything, my hat goes off to him.  I've seen his work through the years, and it is phenomenal quality and the way he installs zippers on these thick leather bags is an art-form, something that is difficult to do and why most stay away from them. 

I have to say this is an unecessary attack on someone who is producing very nice quality work that clearly isnt a hack and is using a lock thats widely commercially available from Italy from the company that has the patent for it and presumably therefore also the company you buy it from.....

Charlie

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think everyone that reads this thread has lost all respect for JP Marcellino.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@PCK1 before you make a statement like that, you know who i am, who are you? and how do you know how everyone thinks? How do i know you are not another leather guy or friend? i am simply defending my copied briefcase and brand. First tell me who i am talking to0 before you attack my reputation.

The other leather guy is now bringing it up and they both attempt to undermine my brand by posting the manufacturer of my lock. i know this forum enough, so let the pile on begin.

"widely available" lock
1 - The lock is NOT widely available
2 - is very expensive compared to all other locks
3 - Has huge minimums when purchased direct
4 - apparently only 1 other reseller from Japan offers them because of the high costs
5 - I have invested and developed that lock on this classic briefcase style

"clearly isnt a hack"

FACT: I was the first to put that combo lock on a strapped bridle leather briefcase, especially with suede lining
FACT: i have posted on this thread throughout the years that style with that lock.
FACT: He has followed this thread for at least a couple of years and seen my posts
FACT: He has never posted this case / lock style on this thread before or on his website
FACT: I've NEVER seen anyone put this lock on a classic strapped bridle leather case before and he points to 1 other maker
therefore he is copying that other maker or ME

Last edited:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I think everyone that reads this thread has lost all respect for JP Marcellino.

That's an idiotic thing to say.

Apart from anything else, an Affiliate Vendor (JPM) is entitled to more respect than some blow ins that contribute nothing. And before you ask, I don't carry any brief for JPM.

Anyway, they should call a truce and let us all get back to enjoying the items put up here.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an idiotic thing to say.

Apart from anything else, an Affiliate Vendor (JPM) is entitled to more respect than some blow ins that contribute nothing. And before you ask, I don't carry any brief for JPM.

Anyway, they should call a truce and let us all get back to enjoying the items put up here.

What is idiotic is his rant putting down another member of the forum and then providing zero evidence to back up his claims.

He doesn't hold any copyrights/trademarks and he has zero legal right to assert his claims. He has no ground to stand on.

All he has is his word...and this was tarnished the moment he very aggressively attacked a member while providing no substance to support himself.

That is idiotic. And that causes one to lose respect.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
You can have your own standards of who you respect. That's a matter for you.

To asset that "everyone" reading this thread would have "lost all respect" for JPM is idiotic. I have read the thread and I haven't lost all respect for JPM. In fact I haven't lost any respect for JPM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics