• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow tie advice

rmaule

Reaction score
I'm getting married in about a month and a half, and I decided to get a bespoke tuxedo made for the event. I'm almost through the process and go in for my final fitting in a few weeks. Here's what I'm working with:

The details:

• Midnight blue, Loro Piana fabric Super 120s
  • Shawl Lapel in satin
  • 1 button, double vented, jetted pockets

I've got a shirt being made as well, and it's going to be a spread collar, flat front with studs, something like this:

My question is I'm looking for advice on what type of bow tie to get for this ensemble. Would black still work (I'm sure it would) even with a midnight blue tux? What about the fabric type? I've gone satin on the lapels and details, but could I wear a grosgrain bow tie?

Never purchased a bow tie before, so suggestions would be appreciated, as well as some preferred retailers.

Thanks!

rmaule

Reaction score
My first thread, so it was moderated and finally showed up just now, but on the 3rd page. Giving a friendly bump to the top so I can get some eyeballs. :)

Thanks!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A classic plain silk twill black bow tie and a white pocket square will look great. I would stay away from anything with too much texture or woven pattern.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Congratulations. The bow tie should match your lapels. So, in your case, it should be a black satin tie.

J. Press has some nice conservative bowties at reasonable prices.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure to get a self-tie bow-tie, not a pre-tied one (you probably knew that already).

Black is really the only color you should go with. In addition to matching the lapels in color, it should match in texture, so you will want a satin texture bow-tie, not a textured one (faille or barathea).

Are you going to have a waste covering? A cummerbund is the traditional choice to pair with a shawl lapel.

rmaule

Reaction score
Satin seems to be the consensus. Thanks. For the waist, no, I was thinking just some braces. Trying to look classic, but not wing collar and cummerbund classic.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Satin seems to be the consensus. Thanks. For the waist, no, I was thinking just some braces. Trying to look classic, but not wing collar and cummerbund classic.
A turndown collar (like you have selected) is certainly classic. The main reason for a waist covering is to complete the ensemble by hiding where the shirt and pants come together to obscure some of the "working" parts (like the brace fasteners). It also prevents the white of the shirt from peeking out below the button of the jacket. Waering a cummerbund should not be a big deal, and most won't see it anyway if you keep the button fastened.

You actually put together a nice ensemble so far without any help. Usually, at this stage of threads like this, the suggestions usually ivolve scrapping the whole outfit and starting over. You can visit here for more information: http://blacktieguide.com/

cococard

Reaction score
The most creative you can go I would think would be with SIZE in this case....now a days a larger bowtie is being used ala Tom Ford

I would recommend Beautiesltd.com / they have slim to large and a diamond point variant which is great.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads