• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1105818 View attachment 1105819

Alright fellas. On deck tonight is a private barrel selected for our charity focused Bourbon group, Borbone Bridgante. It’s been aged 11 years, 2 months and is of the OESK recipe.

One sip, everyone knows the rules.

Nose: Caramel Apple, cinnamon butter, black cherry, toffee, leather

First Taste: Allspice, clove, salted caramel, toasted wheat, warm cedar, cayenne

Finish: Long, chewy, caramel dominant

Score: 9.4/10
I like your photos

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured you Bourbon guys would appreciate this. I was at my cigar lounge this past Friday and one of our oldest patrons had this very rare bourbon to share with us. His father is unfortunately suffering from dementia so he had cleaned out his fathers collection recently. Apparently the man was quite a collector. Along with sealed bottles of 1950’s Remy Martin Cognac, 1968 Jack Daniels, this was among them:

1969 (plus 8 years) Walker’s DeLuxe Illinois Bourbon. It tasted like liquid brown sugar. 86 proof

8B9D1EAA-3BE0-471C-9448-2E6A6EDD6FB6.jpeg

Just for reference sake; here’s that bottle of 1950’s Remy Martin Cognac. It was so good. I was privileged with 2 glasses.

42D23685-6365-46CF-9A4B-0BBC7AE04280.jpeg

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Figured you Bourbon guys would appreciate this. I was at my cigar lounge this past Friday and one of our oldest patrons had this very rare bourbon to share with us. His father is unfortunately suffering from dementia so he had cleaned out his fathers collection recently. Apparently the man was quite a collector. Along with sealed bottles of 1950’s Remy Martin Cognac, 1968 Jack Daniels, this was among them:

1969 (plus 8 years) Walker’s DeLuxe Illinois Bourbon. It tasted like liquid brown sugar. 86 proof

View attachment 1145221

Just for reference sake; here’s that bottle of 1950’s Remy Martin Cognac. It was so good. I was privileged with 2 glasses.

View attachment 1145222

Very nice, great friend to share those with you!

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Synthetic whiskey. And yes, it tastes recreated (excessive vanilla). It’s a chemical recreation of whiskey, never aged or distilled.

15E1253B-BC67-4359-9482-C8BDFFC1F8AE.jpeg

0957E803-6BA0-46E4-ABB5-D5BF075ACE8D.jpeg

79B8DCC5-AEC0-4990-9A41-56DBE54362C0.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blantons in Japan. Single barrel, Straight from the Barrel (barrel proof), and Gold.

View attachment 1150343

Interesting to see those in Japan, but not here. I have to assume they'd sell easily here, especially at those prices. Anyone have insight into this marketing strategy? Are they building their brand overseas and that's why they ship exclusive to Japan bottles?

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see those in Japan, but not here. I have to assume they'd sell easily here, especially at those prices. Anyone have insight into this marketing strategy? Are they building their brand overseas and that's why they ship exclusive to Japan bottles?

It's about enough to piss you off! The normal Blanton's bottle has been a regular in my state liquor store but now has gotten rare as hens teeth.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They've said something about an agreement with the distributor and the producer, but the details are not public.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What annoys me about bourbon is that I just don't know what to drink anymore. Barring a recent incident, the last time I really enjoyed some bourbon was almost six years ago; I did this tasting and my favorite, the $40/btl. Black Maple Hill Limited, came out on top for me (as always) and either on top or #2 for everyone else.

When the boom came, I bascially stopped buying bourbon (other than Woodford, which is my well for cocktails) and just drank open stock. Then I just stopped drinking it, short of cocktails. A few months ago, I was at my father's and we were doing some BBQ and we decided to drink some of a 1970s bottle of Old Granddad Bonded. That was some good juice (incidentally, we compared to a new bottle, you can taste the lineage, but I will take the old one, thank you), and it made me want to go and have some bourbon again. Back when I was buying the stuff, my favorite BMH was with Noah's MIll and Rowan Creek. I bought some Rowan's -- gah. It is miserable mid-palate; there is some nasty, fetid note in there. I just dumped it and poured myself some rum (Admiral Rodney St. Lucia).

So, reccomend me some bourbon: I want to spend like $50 and be able to pour it into a glass or over a rock and enjoy it. My favorite was always the BMH Limited; I liked Pappy 20, but for wheaters, preferred the BTAC Weller as I thought it was more complex (the PvW 20 was so banana-esque). Loved Eagle 17 probably the most of the BTAC; enjoyed Stagg but it was so woody I had to be in the mood. Used to use Buffalo Trace or Woodford for mixing in cocktails served up; Four Roses if with juice. Makers is OK, Makers 46 is terrible.

Any ideas?

~ H

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What annoys me about bourbon is that I just don't know what to drink anymore. Barring a recent incident, the last time I really enjoyed some bourbon was almost six years ago; I did this tasting and my favorite, the $40/btl. Black Maple Hill Limited, came out on top for me (as always) and either on top or #2 for everyone else.

View attachment 1230340

When the boom came, I bascially stopped buying bourbon (other than Woodford, which is my well for cocktails) and just drank open stock. Then I just stopped drinking it, short of cocktails. A few months ago, I was at my father's and we were doing some BBQ and we decided to drink some of a 1970s bottle of Old Granddad Bonded. That was some good juice (incidentally, we compared to a new bottle, you can taste the lineage, but I will take the old one, thank you), and it made me want to go and have some bourbon again. Back when I was buying the stuff, my favorite BMH was with Noah's MIll and Rowan Creek. I bought some Rowan's -- gah. It is miserable mid-palate; there is some nasty, fetid note in there. I just dumped it and poured myself some rum (Admiral Rodney St. Lucia).

So, reccomend me some bourbon: I want to spend like $50 and be able to pour it into a glass or over a rock and enjoy it. My favorite was always the BMH Limited; I liked Pappy 20, but for wheaters, preferred the BTAC Weller as I thought it was more complex (the PvW 20 was so banana-esque). Loved Eagle 17 probably the most of the BTAC; enjoyed Stagg but it was so woody I had to be in the mood. Used to use Buffalo Trace or Woodford for mixing in cocktails served up; Four Roses if with juice. Makers is OK, Makers 46 is terrible.

Any ideas?

~ H

Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond 10 Year. Well under $50 in most places and could very well take your breath away. It's been taking the scene by storm lately winning all types of awards. It did at least for me. I'm a huge fan of George T Stagg and William LaRue, and Henry McKenna is right up there in my top 5 easily.

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1230340

Any ideas?

~ H

If those are your standards, there isn't much to recommend at that price point these days. The best $50 bottle in bourbon right now are some of the Knob Creek Single Barrel Select barrels that individual stores pick. They often come in at 14 or 15 years, which is enough time for the proof to mellow and the palate to be brown sugar-forward, backed by oak and heat in equal measure. McKenna is highly variable. The right barrel can deliver delicious rye/caramel flavors, but it can also be an overspiced, disjointed mess.

I'm at the point where the only thing I buy untasted is Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Everything else, I either try at a bar or (especially if it's a barrel pick) sample first.

If you want to spend a little bit more, my favorites in the cabinet right now are Michter's 10 year old rye (2019), two different Four Roses Barrel Strength recipes (OBSK and OESV), and the 2018 George T. Stagg, which at 124.9 proof is considerably less aggressive than the usual GTS release. Based on what I've tasted, the bottle I most wish I had is last year's Four Roses 130th anniversary, followed at a distance by 2017 William Larue Weller.

Edited to add: You might already know this, but DO NOT buy the new Black Maple Hill thinking it's anything like the older sourced stuff. The new bottles are made of Oregon whiskey and are so bad that trading on the BMH name should be considered fraud.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If those are your standards, there isn't much to recommend at that price point these days. The best $50 bottle in bourbon right now are some of the Knob Creek Single Barrel Select barrels that individual stores pick. They often come in at 14 or 15 years, which is enough time for the proof to mellow and the palate to be brown sugar-forward, backed by oak and heat in equal measure. McKenna is highly variable. The right barrel can deliver delicious rye/caramel flavors, but it can also be an overspiced, disjointed mess.

I'm at the point where the only thing I buy untasted is Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Everything else, I either try at a bar or (especially if it's a barrel pick) sample first.

If you want to spend a little bit more, my favorites in the cabinet right now are Michter's 10 year old rye (2019), two different Four Roses Barrel Strength recipes (OBSK and OESV), and the 2018 George T. Stagg, which at 124.9 proof is considerably less aggressive than the usual GTS release. Based on what I've tasted, the bottle I most wish I had is last year's Four Roses 130th anniversary, followed at a distance by 2017 William Larue Weller.

Edited to add: You might already know this, but DO NOT buy the new Black Maple Hill thinking it's anything like the older sourced stuff. The new bottles are made of Oregon whiskey and are so bad that trading on the BMH name should be considered fraud.

I’m a fellow George T Stagg owner, a small club. I won my bottle at the BTAC raffle at my local warehouse store. It’s the 2017 release (129.2 Proof). I was one of two winners that raffle that went home with a bottle of GTS. I paid $98. There were around 100 people in attendance, although many were probably chasing Pappy’s. I’ve tried a sample of Pappy 23...let’s just say it’s ranked outside my top 5, so it wasn’t that good. Certainly not worth $300 or $3000 to me

1759D6D2-0688-478D-927C-55190DA193FA.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Any ideas?

~ H

Smooth Ambler's Big Level is surprisingly good given its price point and given the fact that I don't normally like the wheated stuff, including PVW which I will drink from time to time just for the hell of it and to celebrate the fact that I at least had the foresight to load up on PVW when it was widely available,but didn't do the same with AMZN stock when it was sub $5/share.

Not bourbon, but I have never been disappointed with a George Dickel barrel pick, but I trust the person doing the picking, and I don't mind the sweetness of Tennessee whiskey, so you may not like it as much.

Booker's is still pretty consistently good year after year, and I second the comment about Knob Creek, especially a barrel pick from someone you know and respect. I have a barrel pick rye from an old friend of mine in TN, and I am drinking it a half ounce at a time, it's that good! I'm sure the mainline cask strength comes very close.

All should be easily found in the $50 range except for Booker's but for the extra 20 dollar bill, I think it's worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads