1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Dickel too sweet/not enough bite?

2. Dusty Heaters

Dusty Heaters Distinguished Member

There’s just something about that corn dominant mashbill that just isn’t to my taste. Don’t get me wrong, it’s far from offputting, I just tend to favor ‘wheaters’.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

If y'all have Directv, check out Bourbontucky (from 2015 or so) if you haven't seen it.

4. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Senior Member

I too am vastly more experienced on the beer front, but Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is my favourite whiskey by a long shot. In fact I don't actually feel the compulsion to buy any other whiskeys, although I did buy my brother a Bookers for Christmas and am looking forward to comparing them. For reference Maker's Mark Case Strength is the same price in the UK and nowhere near as good IMO.

I feel that ECBP is a good value bourbon and I find it hard to imagine that William Larue Weller or Pappy could be "that" much better to justify paying the difference - it is in the region of 8x the price for WLW and 27x the price for a 23 year old Pappy in the UK over ECBP! As much as I would love to try them both, I just can't get on that hype train.

I found it interesting to find out that Goose Island use Elijah Craig casks to age Bourbon County - which is still my favourite beer having tried many others at much higher costs.

5. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Distinguished Member

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Distinguished Member

Tell me that this isn't the same bottle from around page 12 or 13 of this thread, lol!

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

LOL, I wish. This bottle cost a helluva lot more than the first one did.

8. gnatty8

I'll bet! Looking back on those early pages blew me away, seeing all the amazing stuff that was still fairly routinely available!!

9. gnatty8

I used to ignore Dickel too until I tried my local store's barrel pick and since then, I've usually been good for 1 or 2 a year. They released a 17 year old a couple of years ago that really was a must try for me, given that age for a Dickel is basically unheard of. I was pleased with it, but probably wouldn't pay secondary market prices for it. That said, if you trust the barrel picks of your local retailers, there's been a Dickel barrel in my top 10 for each of the last several years, so give it a chance.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This weekend I was in the mood for something different so had several Boulevardiers. Just used some Woodford Reserve and Bulliet due to the two modifiers. Really satisfying change.

11. Girardian

Girardian Distinguished Member

That's a solid list. I echo the comments generally, except you're missing "baby" (7yr) Sazarac (yes, a rye ... but still).

I've been having fun polishing off some bottles that are taking up cabinet space. Today was a Green Spot (Irish). Two days ago was an original release Compass Box Spice Tree. Before that was a 17YO Party Store pick John Bowman (my oh my), etc.

12. gnatty8

Sounds like we are doing the same thing! I've moved any bottle with less then 1/4 left to the front of the cabinet to slowly but surely free up space. Of course, that means the space will need to be filled, but that's the fun part.

13. Girardian

Girardian Distinguished Member

Yeah, I think I save some of the last of bottles for hypothetical side by side comparisons -- I like the concept but it's also good to enjoy what you have in the moment. Plus some older spirits do oxidize once opened (I spray my high end with WinePreserve but not the other stuff).

14. gnatty8

As an aside, I just poured the last of an older Aberlour a'Bunadh last night. If memory serves, it was batch 50 from about 2014 I think? Now that was a damn fine whisky.

15. Dusty Heaters

Dusty Heaters Distinguished Member

DDC3FA39-018F-490C-9643-8FF791B8E633.jpeg 4C3FD2FE-D187-49D9-AEFC-8FF60965AB2A.jpeg

Alright fellas. On deck tonight is a private barrel selected for our charity focused Bourbon group, Borbone Bridgante. It’s been aged 11 years, 2 months and is of the OESK recipe.

One sip, everyone knows the rules.

Nose: Caramel Apple, cinnamon butter, black cherry, toffee, leather

First Taste: Allspice, clove, salted caramel, toasted wheat, warm cedar, cayenne

Finish: Long, chewy, caramel dominant

Score: 9.4/10