Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. ama

ama Senior member

I was sick this week so I treated myself to a pick me up. I ordered:
    6 - 15 yr Pappy
    2 - 20 yr Pappy
    1 - 23 yr Pappy

They didn't get the rye though, so none of that. I haven't had it in a while and its pretty good =(

2. ComboOrgan

ComboOrgan Senior member

I picked up some Eagle Rare 10 based on what I read in this thread. Great advice!

Nice oak aroma, balanced sweetness, just gorgeous. It's dancing on my tongue, and slightly puckering my cheeks.

My main bottles are Evan Willaims Single Barrel and Bulleit, but I think this one is going to get a permanent spot in the cabinet too.

3. Korben

Korben Senior member

I picked up some Eagle Rare 10 based on what I read in this thread. Great advice! Nice oak aroma, balanced sweetness, just gorgeous. It's dancing on my tongue, and slightly puckering my cheeks. My main bottles are Evan Willaims Single Barrel and Bulleit, but I think this one is going to get a permanent spot in the cabinet too.
    Yeah it's just good.

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I was sick this week so I treated myself to a pick me up. I ordered:
    6 - 15 yr Pappy
    2 - 20 yr Pappy
    1 - 23 yr Pappy

They didn't get the rye though, so none of that. I haven't had it in a while and its pretty good =(

The rye is terrific, I picked up 2 bottles of it a few weeks back on a business trip to Memphis.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Okay, I spent Saturday evening in the company of some good people, one of whom is a diehard DIY-type. Excellent cajun cook, makes his own wine, inventor, patent attorney. And we started talking about bourbon.

The following strikes me as heresy, but I'm going to recall it to you based on my rather hazy recollections.

First, he claims that you can make bourbon at home. At this point I tend to agree - all the distillers started somewhere, right? Cornmeal, sugar, water - cook, ferment, distill, re-ferment, re-distill, until you get a good yield (8-10 gallons, he says, from $20 worth of raw materials.). There's your starting point.

Then: run kiln-dried white oak through the planer, put the shavings in the oven for a few hours to toast/blacken. Dump the toasted oak into your alcohol. Seal up for a while. < a year, let's say

Get a charcoal filter, rinse out the dust, and filter your bourbon.

On the one hand, I was mildly appalled, but on the other hand, he seems to touch all the bases here. Feasible? Crazy? What do you think?

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Okay, I spent Saturday evening in the company of some good people, one of whom is a diehard DIY-type. Excellent cajun cook, makes his own wine, inventor, patent attorney. And we started talking about bourbon. The following strikes me as heresy, but I'm going to recall it to you based on my rather hazy recollections. First, he claims that you can make bourbon at home. At this point I tend to agree - all the distillers started somewhere, right? Cornmeal, sugar, water - cook, ferment, distill, re-ferment, re-distill, until you get a good yield (8-10 gallons, he says, from $20 worth of raw materials.). There's your starting point. Then: run kiln-dried white oak through the planer, put the shavings in the oven for a few hours to toast/blacken. Dump the toasted oak into your alcohol. Seal up for a while. < a year, let's say Get a charcoal filter, rinse out the dust, and filter your bourbon. On the one hand, I was mildly appalled, but on the other hand, he seems to touch all the bases here. Feasible? Crazy? What do you think?
    Are you seriously considering going through all this just to make some burbon? Stick with moonshine.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Are you seriously considering going through all this just to make some burbon? Stick with moonshine.

No, not really, but I heard these words spill forth and struggled to reconcile the difference between heresy and efficiency. It seemed wrong, but I couldn't point to any one thing that tripped up the idea. Although, 8-10 gallons of bourbon from a minor investment in raw materials certainly has a perverse appeal. That said, it would likely be 8-10 gallons of Old Rot-gut.

8. Korben

Korben Senior member

+1... Some of my best days started with a Mason Jar full of liquid corn and peaches.

9. ama

ama Senior member

I would ask for a sample of his before you venture your own try. I'm guessing it tastes like swill, and once the novelty of making it wears off you'll be stuck with 8 - 10 gallons of shit. Barreling and warehousing impart a ton of flavor to bourbon. Wood chips and a garage won't do.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I would ask for a sample of his before you venture your own try. I'm guessing it tastes like swill, and once the novelty of making it wears off you'll be stuck with 8 - 10 of shit. Barreling and warehousing impart a ton of flavor to bourbon. Wood chips and a garage won't do.

Actually, I have access to a warehouse - 45 steps from my office door, in fact. In Sunny Houston, no less. HMMMMM. Now I just need barrels. And a brewmaster.

That said, I just have to keep the same job for, oh, another 10 years, which might prove a daunting task.

11. ama

ama Senior member

Actually, I have access to a warehouse - 45 steps from my office door, in fact. In Sunny Houston, no less. HMMMMM. Now I just need barrels. And a brewmaster.

That said, I just have to keep the same job for, oh, another 10 years, which might prove a daunting task.

Uch, just keep buying Stagg.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

bourbon (new white oak) barrels: $250. on-line. Holds 53 gallons. 53 GALLONS.

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

bourbon (new white oak) barrels: $250. on-line. Holds 53 gallons. 53 GALLONS.

This has bad news written all over it..

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

This has bad news written all over it..
    oh, come on - we've done group buys and collaborations before - how hard could bourbon be? People have made this stuff for centuries. People with Bad Teeth, even. SRSLY.

15. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I, for one, welcome our new home-brewbon overlord. (assuming I get to try some of it.)