• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

body jewellery and business environments.

ScatterBrains

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I wanted to throw this out there. What is the general consensus on male body piercings around the head? I mean you see all types in today's world. Nose / lips / tongue / eyebrows / ears. My question is in a business environment, (specifically think IT / Web Development / etc)....if you were going for a job or even a promotion. Would say a male with pierced earrings get the failing grade for the position or promotion. I don't think I've ever seen upper management with any sort of piercings, indeed at one time even facial hair was frowned upon. Back in my banking days, things were ultra-conservative, and I doubt much has changed much in that environment, but when you go into other areas of business ideas and opinions maybe different, and it is a very changing world.

What's your thoughts guys?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's definitely less professional looking. I'm not a fan of the aesthetics myself, but I'd not make a comment to someone about it. But, even if it is more accepted in today's society, what's a safer face of the company: a pierced face that some people my feel is inappropriate, a guy with big scraggly beard, or a clean shaven person with a shorter well handled hair cut?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about the audience. First impressions are important. So, piercings would be a very risky proposition for a job interview in a professional position. However, if you're talking about a promotion then it may depend. Depend on what? The social norms of the office/company and how well the decision maker knows you. If you are the only person with piercings, it can be a strike. If others have them, then not a big deal. But, let's face it - we all judge other people on various attributes. Two equally qualified people, and the "likeable" person or more physically attractive person gets the promotion. All else being equal, the person that dresses better gets the edge.

ScatterBrains

Reaction score
yeah...society can be odd, they i've seen odd decision making when hiring for promo's, like the guy who's always in a suit with polished shoes, will go further, even if slightly less qualified than other candidates.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I lived in Africa the local residents could not understand why Westerners adorn themselves in grotesque facial piercings. To them, such body “art,” which they would call mutilation, is something done by primitive “bush people,” not sophisticated city dwellers. So to each his own.

In the case of office acceptability, I would lean toward the (modern) African view and exercise restraint.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads