• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue Suits

Skippy

Reaction score
Hi there,

Over the weekend I bought a new suit. I have just started buying suits because I have just started working. I already had a black suit and a dark gray suit so I wanted something blue. When I went into the store the guy kept showing me suits that he said were blue but to me they looked black so instead I went with a suit by Ralph Lauren that is more of a royal blue. Is this a bad decision? Should I have gone with a more traditional 'blue' suit?

Any response is appreciated.

Skippy

Reaction score
My memory is not perfect but I would say either Navy Blue or Ultramarine.

Thanks for your help.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that for business is better to have a Navy or Midnight blue.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skippy
When I went into the store the guy kept showing me suits that he said were blue but to me they looked black so instead I went with a suit by Ralph Lauren that is more of a royal blue.
Do not trust store lighting to accurately display colour. Natural light should give you the greatest insight, although if you're always going to be wearing the suit under the same lighting (fluorescent?), it's a good idea to check those conditions, as well. Navy on its own should be very close to black. The difference is subtle: navy should appear warmer and may make your skin appear less washed out depending on tone. More significantly, navy suiting will interact with the other colours you're wearing in a completely different way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads