• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlackLapel.com - any experience with them?

timbugtoo

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I found this forum when I was doing research toward getting a new suit. I've never owned a well-fitting suit.

That led me to give Black Lapel a try. I ordered a Light Gray Slim Fit suit, and it came a few days ago--less than two weeks after I placed the order. I don't know much about these things, but I was impressed with the overall look and feel of the suit.

I did discover that, in terms of the tailoring at the stomach and in the width of the pants, the Slim Fit was a tad more aggressive than I was wanting. But that's personal preference. And I understand I could adjust both of those things a bit with tailoring.

Could you guys let me know what you think about the overall fit? (I haven't gotten the suit steamed or anything yet, so maybe that makes it harder to judge?) I know the pant legs are too short, and I noticed wrinkles/folds on the back of the coat just behind the armpits. Also, my dress shirt sleeves aren't showing at all, but I think my dress shirt sleeves might just be a tad too short.

My biggest question is regarding the shoulders. I think they're too wide. Am I right? I'm wondering if I'll need to have the coat remade, or if it can just be tailored.

Thanks!

jbernard

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I found this forum when I was doing research toward getting a new suit. I've never owned a well-fitting suit.

That led me to give Black Lapel a try. I ordered a Light Gray Slim Fit suit, and it came a few days ago--less than two weeks after I placed the order. I don't know much about these things, but I was impressed with the overall look and feel of the suit.

I did discover that, in terms of the tailoring at the stomach and in the width of the pants, the Slim Fit was a tad more aggressive than I was wanting. But that's personal preference. And I understand I could adjust both of those things a bit with tailoring.

Could you guys let me know what you think about the overall fit? (I haven't gotten the suit steamed or anything yet, so maybe that makes it harder to judge?) I know the pant legs are too short, and I noticed wrinkles/folds on the back of the coat just behind the armpits. Also, my dress shirt sleeves aren't showing at all, but I think my dress shirt sleeves might just be a tad too short.

My biggest question is regarding the shoulders. I think they're too wide. Am I right? I'm wondering if I'll need to have the coat remade, or if it can just be tailored.

Thanks!

I don't think the shoulder are too wide. To make sure lean up against the wall. If your arm is the first thing to hit the wall you are good. if it is at the same time (arm and shoulder pad) you are good. If shoulder pad then yes it is a little but to wide. but like .25" - .50"

joeman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
never dealt with them but i wonder from those that have if they offered any special packages or discounts with suits and shirts..

whizod

Reaction score
Wanted to give my impressions on BlackLapel and their services. This is my first suit purchase and first online MTM experience, my initial research had brought me between trying Indochino and BlackLapel. What swayed me was the concierge service, they promptly replied to all my emails and answered any questions and concerns I had. Most of all, they were very patient with me as a first time buyer. I can honestly say there have only been a handful of other cases in which I was blown away by customer service, this ranks right up there.

When I was good and ready, I purchased a slim charcoal suit and light blue shirt. Measuring yourself was a pretty harmless procedure and the videos were very helpful. My suggestion on measuring to everyone is to measure two or three times over different days to ensure accuracy. My measurements were fairly tight around the body all around, I believe this is fairly important when going for the Slim look.

My order was processed and my suit was made within 3 weeks, they had kept their promise despite having to post warnings for slightly longer process times due to higher volume of demand (well deserved new business). What was most amazing was that it took barely 2 days for them to Fedex it to me from China to Canada, amazon.com type of delivery. Very awesome.

My initial impression out of the box is pretty good, the shirt fits very well and I am pretty impressed by it. The jacket might be a tad large in the shoulders, particularly the left shoulder where the pad stands out a little more and creates an indent on the shoulder. Is this something my tailor will be able to fix? The pants I feel are a tad short in length and has a narrower taper than I expected. This seems to be common by the looks of their lookbook and models.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it is over the box, but I am sure there's a few spots that could use some attention. I'd like to get your opinions.
I will try and get better photos up over the weekend, this was shot with my crappy phone. But I would appreciate any feedback and comments on what to tell my tailor as I go get this suit fine tuned! So please give me your thought!

I would highly recommend Black Lapel for those interested in the online MTM experience, it's definitely not for everyone. But if you do your measurements right, everything should turn out pretty good.

Last edited:

kylepw

Reaction score
I agree, your shoulders look big. From what I read, normal tailors can't fix that so may need it altered by BL. Where did you measure your shoulder from?

Question: what fit did you choose? I'm also in the middle of having my first BL suit made. A little nervous but excited at the same time from all the reviews.

whizod

Reaction score
I brought the suit to my tailor, told her I wanted the shoulders shortened... she suggested that I keep them as is, something along the lines that it provides the proper arm shape. After steaming it, the left shoulder dent is less noticeable. I"ve taken my tailors advise for the time being as she said the jacket fit well and was very impressed with it. She did agree with the thighs being a bit loose and is going to slim down the pants slightly.

To answer your question, I purchased the slim fit, I measured the shoulders from one of the better fitting shirts I had available seam to seam. I suspect going from shoulder bone to shoulder bone may provide the right measurement. What's funny is that the shirt I ordered with the suit came out perfect, I'm very impressed and excited about it. Suppose I'll have to readjust my profile slightly to account for the wider shoulders and looser pants.

BL has definitely provide a great experience so far for what its worth. I'm looking forward to whenever I make my second purchase!

TRIALnERROR

Reaction score
BL is more expensive than Indochino, but I believe the difference in price is more than justified. Half-canvassed with 100% Bemberg lining vs. fused-hybrid construction is reason enough. The rest is icing on the cake...

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/2012/06/made-to-measure-black-lapel-review/

http://www.indochino-review.com/2012/03/introducing-black-lapel-navy-blue-suit.html

http://primergreyblog.com/shirts/black-lapel-vs-indochino/

I echo the previous comments regarding BL's outstanding customer service. After many e-mails, I pulled the trigger on my first suit (charcoal herringbone with vest and extra pants). I'll be interested in getting the forum's feedback on fit and possible adjustments when it arrives.

TRIALnERROR

Reaction score
If you donate an old suit to charity and show them a receipt, they will give you a 10% discount code. Their prices are very reasonable as it is considering the quality of fabric, craftsmanship, and high level of customer service you get.

I was deciding between three M2M companies before I finally pulled the trigger with BL. Their concierge customer-service was by far leaps and bounds above the competition. I also believe their alteration/remake/refund policy is the best on the market, especially for U.S. customers. Some M2M companies require you to ship remakes and returns out of the country, driving the shipping costs up considerably. Shipping is cheaper with BL since they process all remakes and refunds from their HQ's in NYC.

Last edited:

TheDapperMan

Reaction score
Suit fitting looks great. Like the way it sits on you and the sleeve length looks great (just right amount of cuff showing)

Stevey6404

Reaction score

Thanks!

Just wondering, what kind of shoulder did you pick for your measurement as I ordered a Black Lapel suit and it was a roped shoulder and I much prefer your natural shoulder padding which doesn't stick out as much...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads