1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

BlackLapel.com - any experience with them?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PsylentStorm, Apr 30, 2012.

1. TheDapperMan

TheDapperMan Member

They say 3 weeks but mine took a little less than that

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Very nice looking fabric and a very good fit, too. I'm impressed.

3. whizod

whizod Member

Just an update:

So I got my pants tailored and tried on the full ensemble. The jacket is still straight out of the box with no alterations, the pants were taken in 1" around the thighs. Overall the whole experience has been great. While I doubt Black Lapel is able to provide a perfect online MTM suit on the first try, it came out nearly perfect with a few minor adjustments.

The concierge provided some second opinions in that the shoulders can be brought in another -0.25" and same with the pant length. I do believe her to be correct, but they are very minor at this point.
    One thing to keep in mind, from the time I ordered and the time of fitting.. I've lost quite a bit of weight due to my boxing match coming up. I'm anticipating that this suit will actually be a lot more tighter in the following months!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. kylepw

kylepw Member

Definitely looks much better with the pants taken in. And now that I look at it twice, the shoulders aren't too too wide. Like BL said, maybe .25" next time would seem perfect.

My first BL suit is coming apparently by Tuesday! Not my first MTM, but first one completely online. Will post pictures.

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

That looks excellent, whizod. Really good, well done. Much better than another online MTM outfit I won't nmention here.

6. TRIALnERROR

TRIALnERROR Well-Known Member

I'm happy to report that my BL suit (charcoal herringbone with vest and extra pants) has arrived, two and a half weeks after ordering. I will reserve my comments regarding fit until I get the forum's opinion, as I'm hoping for some non-biased feedback. Sorry for the poor pictures, I will post better pics tonight. Any preliminary thoughts in the meantime? These pics are fresh out of the box (no pressing or steaming). Thanks in advance!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  7. Kidmag

Kidmag Member

That's the herringbone charcoal suit correct? Tailored fit? How heavy/thick is that fabric? how's it drape? (thinking of getting that or other charcoal suit - I have the cool grey suit - the fabric is great, medium weight and drapes really nicely)

Couple of thoughts on fit:

Sleeves could be shortened maybe a 1/4" or 3/8".

Paint length definitely s/b shortened at least 1". Espcially since those a slim fitting.

Hard to tell with pics but chest and shoulders look good to me. Thinking you're going to have to dork out and ask someone to take pics of you for anyone to really give you tips on that :).

Also I know everyone is excited about the slim cut paints, but its a fad that will fade. Way I see it you'll want to wear your suit for at least 3 years, so watch out for fads - this one has been around for a while already. You can ask BL to make the paints more straight if you think its too shaped - just tell them how wide you want them at the bottom and they'll put note in your measurements file.

8. Kidmag

Kidmag Member

I think your navy suit looks great - I'd just shorten the paints a touch. Seems like too much break.

9. TRIALnERROR

Kidmag, thanks for the quick feedback. You are correct, it is the charcoal herringbone, tailored fit. Personally, I am not a fan of the "slim pants" look. I would much prefer a traditional straight-leg. Can this be corrected by my local tailor or is a re-make required?

Better pics to come, thanks!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Rincon

Rincon Senior member

Lotta low post counts in this thread... just sayin'...

11. kylepw

kylepw Member

Rincon: Please feel free to grace the thread with your high post count, then. The BL suit I ordered should be in tomorrow ;-)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  12. kylepw

kylepw Member

TRIALnERROR: Looks good from what I can see; photos aren't very clear, though. Shortened sleeve/pant legs would be a good idea, like Kidmag said. I'm interested in seeing how the back of your jacket came out, also. Seems like an area that's commonly "messed up" in online MTM suits.

13. Kidmag

Kidmag Member

TrialNError: I would love to hear what you think of the suit fabric on your charcoal suit. Like I said, I'm considering it, but Herringbone tends to be a heavier fabric and I live in a warm climate.

Rincon: I'm new here because I very recently jumped into the MTM world. Google "Black Lapel suit review" or "Indochino suit review" and this forum is heavily represented in the top 20 hits. After receiving good info during my research from this forum, I just felt compelled to give back. And btw you can count on me having a low post count forever - I can't imagine posting over 200 times on clothing. :)

14. TRIALnERROR

Kidmag: I'm very impressed with the quality and feel of the fabric. Keep in mind that I'm comparing it to lower quality JAB suits... You should order some swatches for free so you can get a feel for it.

Sorry for so many pics, but I would appreciate any and all feedback. I'm not a fan of the "slim pants" look. Is this something that can be fixed by my local tailor or is a remake required? The suit has not been pressed, but has been hand steamed. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Those pants aren't slim.

16. TRIALnERROR

Why are the pants draping awkwardly? Too long? They feel tapered and narrow at the bottom.

17. kylepw

kylepw Member

My BL suit came in today. Pretty pleased with it. Wondering if the pant length should be another 1/4" or if it's okay the way it is? Any comments/suggestions welcomed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

Geez. This is why people say, "LOL you have a low post count. Thread must be crap."

"Slim cut pants" are pants that FIT. The "fad that will fade" is the pleated, shapeless, baggy garbage we got from the 30s. Pleated and baggy pants are bad.

19. Kidmag

Kidmag Member

I think they should be taken in - they're too long. I'd ask your tailor to leave only a slight break. I don't think you can have them widened though, prob. not enough fabric - but once they're the right length you might find the taper works.

20. Kidmag

Kidmag Member

I think that suit fits great - looks like the right amount of break too, unless you want more of mod look.