• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black/suede spectator shoes, how the heck to I polish these?

Clocky

Reaction score
I've got a pair of black/black suede Barker Blacks on the way, thanks to B&S. Now I'm scratching my head wondering how to polish the things. Google hasn't been especially helpful, all I've found is that I should use a neutral polish for black/white calf, and to "be careful."

If I do get black polish on the suede, is it going to create a mess? Do I need to put masking tape on these every time I polish?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think of it as a 3-D coloring book....stay within the lines.
I use creme polish (Meltonian) for my specs.
Use your finger. Take just the smallest dab of polish on your finger.
Work from the center of each polished area, outwards toward the edges.
Work slowly and carefully, avoiding the sueded areas.
It will take very little polish in the first place so go easy.
Let polish dry 15min, then use the edge of your brush on the polished areas.
Let stand about 15min more, then wrap a soft cotton rag over your finger, and lightly buff.
The suede can be worked with a suede brush.
If you intend on spraying the suede with that silicone spray, then wait a full 24 hours after the polishing or better yet, treat the suede parts first, then polish the rest.
No need to over-do this. You won't need to polish after every wearing anyway.
Between polishings (about once a month or so wether being used or in winter storage) apply leather lotion sparingly to the polished areas to maintain the leather.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clocky
I've got a pair of black/black suede Barker Blacks on the way, thanks to B&S. Now I'm scratching my head wondering how to polish the things. Google hasn't been especially helpful, all I've found is that I should use a neutral polish for black/Ppwhite calf, and to "be careful."

If I do get black polish on the suede, is it going to create a mess? Do I need to put masking tape on these every time I polish?

Epic failure

It ain't rocket science going to the moon.

Polish one and treat the other, carefully.

So what is so hard about that?

soxpats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Epic failure It ain't rocket science going to the moon. Polish one and treat the other, carefully. So what is so hard about that?
The guy just asked a simple question, why be an ass? Or maybe your just kidding with him.

Clocky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Epic failure

It ain't rocket science going to the moon.

Polish one and treat the other, carefully.

So what is so hard about that?

In theory, preparing fugu is just a matter of cutting carefully. I'd like to know how dire the consequences are if I do stray outside the intended area.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads