• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Oxford Shoes for wedding? Budget around £80.

Casanova White

Reaction score
Hi there folks,
I am attending a wedding next week and need a new pair of shoes to wear. I have a charcoal coloured suit and at the moment have been wearing some brown half brogues with it. Problem being that the shoes are a little long and this together with the narrow fit of the trousers it doesn't look right.

I think some Black Oxfords are the way to go, although I am looking for more of a narrow style as I only have small feet (size 6-7 UK) and dont want the shoes looking bulky. I would also like the type with a cap over the toe. Something like with this would be ideal

!BUl-Zy!B2k~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLl)2U9BKOSy9Zm(w~~_35.JPG

I also do wedding photography and will be wearing the shoes for that in future. They aren't going to be something that is worn every day, just on the odd occasion so they should last a while.

Was looking to spend anywhere between about £60 - £100 (tops) as I hope to get a good few years wear out of them. I have looked at the Grenson ones on ebay but aren't they of a wider fit?

Any help in this would be much appreciated as I need to get these ordered ASAP so as to arrive before the weekend.

Thanks
Cas'

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casanova White
I have looked at the Grenson ones on ebay but aren't they of a wider fit?

If you buy standard width then they're standard width. Some on eBay might be wide sizes but they should specify if they are.

As long as you buy shoes that are the right size I don't think there any danger of them looking 'bulky'.

Casanova White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
If you buy standard width then they're standard width. Some on eBay might be wide sizes but they should specify if they are.

As long as you buy shoes that are the right size I don't think there any danger of them looking 'bulky'.

Thanks for the help Sanguis. It's just I have noticed on a lot of the style I have been looking at they specify the width as 'G'. Is this standard for these style of shoes?

Would anyone be able to suggest any internet shops or ebay stores where I can get a pair of nice Oxfords. Or a particular style to look for. I am looking for a toe that isn't too round, I prefer something a little more elegant.

Thanks again
Cas'

chroMe

Reaction score
If you phone John Rushton shoes in London, I'm sure they can help you out - have bought 3 lovely pairs of shoes over past years and have been very happy with all purchases. They also have 'seconds' with very minor faults and paid £80 for £300 dress shoes. I'm sure they will mail them out to you if you order over the phone. And they have a much wider selection than depicted on the website.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes G would be wide fitting.

Your budget is an issue in that you're unlikely to get uncorrected calf leather for under about £120. I would advise you to go the extra as they'll take polish and age much better, lasting longer without ugly creases.

If you don't want to go the extra: these are decent goodyear welted shoes, but are corrected grain:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/sanders/products/175.php

These are a decent budget calf option:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/sanders/products/1860.php

If you can cope with a plain oxford, these are a stunning buy in a 6.5:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2865-GRENSON-R...d=p3286.c0.m14

Good quality leather.

greyinla

Reaction score
Good advice above. If you're in the UK, budget places to start would be Tyrwhitt, Herring Shoes, and Pediwear. Soley Shoes has pretty responsive customer svc. too, though fewer bargain items. For your price, you'll probably be looking at lower end lines of Loake, Sanders, and Sargent at sale prices, but they should be English made and goodyear welted. Yes, whole grain as opposed to corrected grain would be better, but given your needs, you might not want to be picky about the distinction at this time.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give the chap at the Tricker's factory store a call too. With your small size he might be willing to get rid of the shoes for a lower price.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote here for the Grenson Rose off the bay from Sarah. Ive got a couple or four pair of Grenson Rose and the quality i believe to be at least on a par with C&J.

Also the Trickers route is a very good option as mentioned i also got some very good shoes from there.

PipPip

Reaction score
Also agree re the Grenson Rose and this is a great ebay seller. I've bought 3 pairs from them, two C&J and one Grenson and have been very pleased every time.

RikuL

Reaction score
Hi

For the price range of £60-100 and being in a hurry, I'd go for Tyrwhitt's basic black oxford (at £99) or equivalent from Barker or Loake (can be bought from several online places, but if you're in London area I could give a store tip as well so you could go and try them on).

The Barkers are quite basic stuff, but still decent quality and look OK. I own a few pairs and have been happy with the value for money. I don't own Tyrwhitt shoes, but they come from the same area in Northampton and I wouldn't expect much difference between Barker quality & construction.

Hope this helps.

Riku

Casanova White

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
Unfortunately I don't live in London Rikul, I'm in Stoke on Trent so there isn't really a wealth of places in this backwards town that stock nice clothing. Hence me seeking the knowledge of helpful people like yourself on here.

Due to the necessity to get some shoes ordered and limited funds at the moment I am going to plump for the 'Sanders Oxford' shoes I think.

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/sanders/products/175.php

What exactly is the difference between calf hide and 'corrected grain' ?

I am guessing I could do with some shoe trees for these. Any recommendations?

And when first receiving them is there some sort of prep with regards to polishing etc that I should do before wearing them out. Sorry to sound so unknowledgable and thanks for your ongoing help.

Cas'

RikuL

Reaction score
Hi again

When receiving the shoes, give them a good creaming and/or polish before wearing for the first time, as the leather is likely to be dry after storage.

Shoe trees are recommended, the basic choice would perhaps be something like Jones Bootmaker's Executive model (http://www.jonesbootmaker.com/ebusin...hoe_Tree_L.jpg) or an expanding one from Herrings (http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...lectedFitID=0). Jones' model has recently been on sale for £9, and the Herrings model is currently on offer for £20.

Riku

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casanova White
Thanks guys,

What exactly is the difference between calf hide and 'corrected grain' ?

I am guessing I could do with some shoe trees for these. Any recommendations?

And when first receiving them is there some sort of prep with regards to polishing etc that I should do before wearing them out. Sorry to sound so unknowledgable and thanks for your ongoing help.

Cas'

Calf leather - is basically just tanned, dyed then polished natural leather.
Corrected grain, is often intially flawed leather, that's pressed, treated with plastics/resins etc. and sometimes embossed to cover up flaws.

The main difference is calf leather breathes properly, will absorb polish and leather conditioner etc. and creases naturally.

RikuL's advice on shoe trees is sound - the basic Jone's shoetrees are perfectly adequate.

Polish wise, basic Kiwi polish in a tin is probably your best bet (avoid liquid polishes and any 'quick and easy' solutions). If you go for corrected grain they won't absorb the polish very well, but it's better than nothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads