• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Dress Shirts

Jacob E.

Reaction score
Says the person who bothered to search for the picture and slobbers over it to high heaven: so interesting!, so unique!

What's with the unprovoked aggressiveness? Are you a cattle farmer, whom someone forced to wear pinstripes? Was it the guy in black shirt in the picture?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear black shirts if you want. No one in the real world will care or notice. Carry on.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
What's with the unprovoked aggressiveness?
:fistbump:

I swear the idea of a black shirt seems to really rile up the members of this forum and make them quite emotional and attacking. I was really hoping to get actual advice on here :(
It's literally a fashion forum how are there not more people who have worn black shirts lol. How are people so inflexible about the color of a shirt :rotflmao:

TimothyF

Reaction score
they are all Lands End I believe. I didn't intend for them to be shiny. I never had them "treated" but they have been dry cleaned once or twice and gone in the wash after every 2-5 wears. Always hit it with a steamer and a lint brush. View attachment 1183384

"Treated" refers to the non-iron finish Lands End puts on the shirts. Many here consider non-iron shirts to be unnatural.

Bottom line: Why are you pushing black shirts on people? I'm sure plenty of people could "look good" in ripped jeans; if they put in the effort, they could "rock" a black shirt with artificial gore on it. Question is, why?

Also, a little presumptuous for a college kid to lecture someone with far more experienced with tailor clothing, no?

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Wear black shirts if you want. No one in the real world will care or notice. Carry on.
I'm still gonna wear them, I'm not asking for y'all to give me the OK on it, I'm asking who else does it, how they do it, and how I could improve on how I've done it. Why is that so f*cking complicated on here?

TimothyF

Reaction score
What's with the unprovoked aggressiveness? Are you a cattle farmer, whom someone forced to wear pinstripes? Was it the guy in black shirt in the picture?

Try the mirror you stand in front of every morning. All this coming from a guy that's used these words:
Strictly IMO, of course, but as soon as you see someone "adamant" about something in a forum dedicated to fashion, you can safely assume you're dealing with a moron, pardon my French.

Jacob E.

Reaction score
quite surprised at how seriously and viciously everybody hates black shirts.

Haters will hate - and black shirts are as good as anything. Funny that it somehow also provokes some sort of homoerotic fantasies in some posters.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
"Treated" refers to the non-iron finish Lands End puts on the shirts. Many here consider non-iron shirts to be unnatural.

Bottom line: Why are you pushing black shirts on people? I'm sure plenty of people could "look good" in ripped jeans; if they put in the effort, they could "rock" a black shirt with artificial gore on it. Question is, why?

Also, a little presumptuous for a college kid to lecture someone with far more experienced with tailor clothing, no?

Who is pushing them? Who is lecturing? I'm certainly not I'm looking for advice. Literally who did I lecture and when???

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still gonna wear them, I'm not asking for y'all to give me the OK on it, I'm asking who else does it, how they do it, and how I could improve on how I've done it. Why is that so f*cking complicated on here?

You have alot to learn about this forum. Stick around and enjoy the ride.

DOn't take what folks around here to the heart.

TimothyF

Reaction score
:fistbump:

I swear the idea of a black shirt seems to really rile up the members of this forum and make them quite emotional and attacking. I was really hoping to get actual advice on here :(
It's literally a fashion forum how are there not more people who have worn black shirts lol. How are people so inflexible about the color of a shirt :rotflmao:

You got the advice you seek: a portion of the forum thinks they stink. Can you take this like a big boy?

Here's also what you might discover when you move into the real world: Many people won't wear rainbow-theme suits. But why are they being so inflexible about rainbows!?

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Howdy, I am new to SF and this is my first post!

On MANY forums and threads on r/mfa I have seen most people advising against black long sleeve button up (dress) shirts. Some people are even extremely adamant against them and claim there is no way they can look good, smart, or stylish. To me it seems like almost a silly style rule such as "black and brown cannot look good together". I have personally worn many outfits with black dress shirts and trousers or jeans, with a sports coat/blazer, even with some suits. The most stylish person I know (who is an extremely wealthy professor at my university) generally wears a black french cuff shirt with his suits and sports coats, with students constantly remarking on how good he and his outfits look. (this said, he does have a darker complexion, which some have said is required for this look).

Can you guys share any pics or advice on black dress shirts (with jackets), aside from the typical "they can never look good and should be avoided". Thanks!

This was the original post by the way. Many seem to have forgotten

minimal1

Reaction score

You may want to ask the gentleman on the left next time you are in the restaurant.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Dude read your own posts. You think I'm going to quote them back to you?

This was started to ask for advice on wearing them (how to wear them) not if they should be worn or not. Literally nothing else. I really don't think I lectured anybody and I have been respectful since my original post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads