• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Ceiling....YAY or NAY?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Well, I would prefer a rubber room, but...

Actually, a good friend of mine's apartment in Milan was completely white. Every piece of furniture, the walls, the cabinets, the floors, the art, everything. I loved it.

IMHO. The whole: let's color the walls red/blue trend is nothing but a conspiracy by Benjamin Moore as well as side effect of watching too much TV.

MrRogers

Reaction score
I could see the "insert" in a tray ceiling being black but for an entire ceiling it may be a bit much.

I'd leave black ceilings to the nightclubs

MrR

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My grandparents have this 1920s French townhouse in Shanghai which I would love to restore and decorate.

Those 12 foot ceilings with their thick mouldings just beg to be painted in enamel black, with the original bronze chandelier mounted.

Unfortunately, three families now live in what used to be the living room, dining room, and garage.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
The most amazing black ceiling I've ever seen was in an ornate victorian house on Upper Main St. Nantucket. The walls were a sort of warm plum color and the ceiling was surrounded by a gloss-black enameled crown moulding. The ceiling itself was black overpainted meticulously in transparent orange in a checkerboard pattern roughly 1 1/4" square. The effect was stunning.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I would like a Beaux-Arts room entirely lacqured in black with Guy Bourdin photos covering the walls.

Very cool idea!.
I've had several rooms painted black, matt black, but not ceilings. The walls I always liked and i actually liked what it did with the light. My current bedroom is currently being considered for a re paint in a dark charcoal grey / warm in tone. Black walls do some nice things for artwork as well.
And lately I've seen some black on black interiors that were quite elegant. I particularly like what black does to compliment with the rich color of dark woods.
It's inspiring me to change some things.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Very cool idea!.
I've had several rooms painted black, matt black, but not ceilings. The walls I always liked and i actually liked what it did with the light. My current bedroom is currently being considered for a re paint in a dark charcoal grey / warm in tone. Black walls do some nice things for artwork as well.
And lately I've seen some black on black interiors that were quite elegant. I particularly like what black does to compliment with the rich color of dark woods.
It's inspiring me to change some things.

What about the ceilings?

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
What about the ceilings?

I'm not sure yet. the room is not that large, but there are three windows.

Maybe mirrors and a disco ball
devil.gif
laugh.gif

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I'm not sure yet. the room is not that large, but there are three windows.

Maybe mirrors and a disco ball
devil.gif
laugh.gif

I saw a lamp a few years ago at an art gallery in Santa Fe.
It projected several reflections from small shaped mirrors onto the walls and ceilings.
A slow moving motor caused random patterns of light shapes to appear at different points at differing times.
The effect was a mobile without form.
It used a clock motor so the transitions were not noticed.
Quite nice.
Perfect for dark walls.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Take a picture capturing atleast 2 walls and a ceiling of the room, and photoshop it with the colors you plan to use. Then you can have a good representation of what the room will look like when it's actually painted.

altdeltte

Reaction score
I have black ceilings in all rooms in my maisonette and I love them.
The rational is the sky at night. I find it very calming. IMHO To me the only thing that makes a room seem larger is the use of mirrors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads