• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bizarre lesions on my tongue

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what these are. There are two small lesions on the right side of my tongue; one is red and one appears to just be swollen. I did some digging online and fond out that, among other things, tongue lesions can be a sign of HIV infection or precancerous cells.

Should I wait a while and see if they go away, or would it be wise to see a doctor at once? Any physicians on the board care to comment?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
all joking aside, the chances of a straight man who is neither a drug addict nor the partner of an HIV positive woman are just about nil. I would say that you do not need to worry about that possibility.

Most likely they are canker sores or allergic, but if you are worried, see a doctor.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be herpes

seriously

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Could be herpes

seriously

Good point, although aren't those usually outside the mouth? It is a pretty common affliction and getting moreso all of the time. I would just head over to Student Health and see what they say.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Good point, although aren't those usually outside the mouth?
Both on the lips and on the tongue. Cold sores are just more visible on the lips (obviously)

Conne - have you been kissing a lot recently?

coachvu

Reaction score
Try swishing warm salt water in your mouth a couple times a day to see if they go away on their own. They are most likely nothing to worry about. If they don't disappear and you are still worried about them, you might want to have your dentist check them.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I pinched some nerves in my back on Wednesday, and I've been taking frequent 800mg doses of ibuprofen. Apparently that can cause blisters anywhere on the body.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I pinched some nerves in my back on Wednesday, and I've been taking frequent 800mg doses of ibuprofen. Apparently that can cause blisters anywhere on the body.
How the hell has no one made a 'dick' joke yet? I'm disappointed in you all. Conne, you realize that in order to get a STD you actually have to have sex, right? Without seeing you, I'd guess you have Herpes Simplex I (HSV-1). HSV-1 can affect just about any part of the mouth but most people associate it with a canker sore around the lips. Get it looked at for fun's sake.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
How the hell has no one made a 'dick' joke yet? I'm disappointed in you all.

between the lesions and the injured back, the jokes are too easy to even bother.

Plus making jokes about someone with tongue lesions is kicking a man when he is down.

good luck at the doc's office.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thepataphysician
between the lesions and the injured back, the jokes are too easy to even bother.

Plus making jokes about someone with tongue lesions is kicking a man when he is down.

good luck at the doc's office.

I thought that was the point: we kick Conne when we feel down. Am I missing something?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'm not really sure what these are. There are two small lesions on the right side of my tongue; one is red and one appears to just be swollen. I did some digging online and fond out that, among other things, tongue lesions can be a sign of HIV infection or precancerous cells. Should I wait a while and see if they go away, or would it be wise to see a doctor at once? Any physicians on the board care to comment?
Are you sure these are new? Some people have something called a "Geographic Tongue" which is basically benign lesions on the tongue.
Background: Geographic tongue (benign migratory glossitis) is a benign condition that occurs in up to 3% of the general population. Most often, patients are asymptomatic; however, some patients report increased sensitivity to hot and spicy foods. The etiology and pathogenesis are still poorly understood. The condition affects males and females and is noted to be more prominent in adults than in children. The classic manifestation is an area of erythema, with atrophy of the filiform papillae of the tongue, surrounded by a serpiginous, white, hyperkeratotic border. The patient often reports spontaneous resolution of the lesion in one area, with the return of normal tongue architecture, only to have another lesion appear in a different location of the tongue. Lesion activity may wax and wane over time, and patients are occasionally free of lesions. If lesions occur at other mucosal sites, the condition is termed erythema migrans.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread is useless without photos. Seriously though, pictures are essential for diagnosis, pm me if you wish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads