• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bike tire losing air

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
39,510
Reaction score
1,758
The rear tire on my bicycle seems to be losing air fairly quickly. No matter how much I pump in, the tire flattens slightly when I sit on the bike. I can't find any punctures.

Should I look into airless tires? Are they really expensive?
 

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
60,223
Reaction score
22,918
Originally Posted by Connemara
The rear tire on my bicycle seems to be losing air fairly quickly. No matter how much I pump in, the tire flattens slightly when I sit on the bike. I can't find any punctures.

Should I look into airless tires? Are they really expensive?


You can get tires that are extra hard to puncture. Years ago, I had them on my road bike. You can also stick some Slime into your inner tube.

Ed beat me to the punch though.
 

dl20

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
1,298
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Connemara
The rear tire on my bicycle seems to be losing air fairly quickly. No matter how much I pump in, the tire flattens slightly when I sit on the bike. I can't find any punctures.

Should I look into airless tires? Are they really expensive?


Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I'd replace the inner tube before I looked into airless tires.

You guys are knuckleheads.

if the tire is losing air, there is probably a nail or something that cut the inner tube but is still stuck in the tire. Examine the tread carefully. When you replace the innertube, take the tire, cover your hand with a glove and rub the inside of the tire to make sure its smooth and there isnt something in there that will puncture the new inner tube once you put air in it.

What the hell are "airless tires" Solid rubber tires? Get some kevlar BELTED not BEADED tires and youll never flat again. I rode for years never having flatted on Kevlar belts.

dl
 

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
39,510
Reaction score
1,758
Why is life so hard
 

dl20

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
1,298
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Connemara
Why is life so hard


Just do it, If I hear you pushed the thing down to the bike store to have it fixed ill bitch slap you.


dl
 

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Moderator
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
6,709
Reaction score
607
LOL, having upturned bikes in the kitchen of our shared student house was pretty much an everyday occurrence
 

West24

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
3,959
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by dl20
You guys are knuckleheads.

if the tire is losing air, there is probably a nail or something that cut the inner tube but is still stuck in the tire. Examine the tread carefully. When you replace the innertube, take the tire, cover your hand with a glove and rub the inside of the tire to make sure its smooth and there isnt something in there that will puncture the new inner tube once you put air in it.

What the hell are "airless tires" Solid rubber tires? Get some kevlar BELTED not BEADED tires and youll never flat again. I rode for years never having flatted on Kevlar belts.

dl


omg thats so funny, i just did that to your mom.
 

dl20

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
1,298
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by West24
omg thats so funny, i just did that to your mom.

Der Der Der.....wipe the drool off your chin fn retard.

dl
 

West24

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
3,959
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by dl20
Der Der Der.....wipe the drool off your chin fn retard.

dl


shit, good one!
 

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
7,219
Reaction score
33
fuck, its called a Patch Kit. 99c plus tax
 

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,527
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by edmorel
The other option would be to lose weight so that you don't exceed the maximum load of your tires.

Heed this man's advice.
 

emptym

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 22, 2007
Messages
8,495
Reaction score
3,564
+1 on the kevlar belted tires.

You probably have a small hole. Could still have a thorn, nail, piece of glass in there. You could replace the tube for about $5 or patch the hole. A patch kit will be a few dollars but have several patches. A good patch job can last a year or more. To find the exact location of the hole, fill up a sink w/ water, take the tube out of the tire, pump it up, submerge it in the water, and look for bubbles. They come from the hole. Dry it and patch it.

Make sure your tires are pretty well pumped too. when low, you could get what's called a pinch flat.
 

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
7,219
Reaction score
33
a proper patch lasts longer than the tube itself. You can have 20, 30, 40 patches on a single tube. I've done it
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 70 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 52 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,040
Messages
9,227,483
Members
193,695
Latest member
mohammedyusri
Top