• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best winter parka

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
My John Varvatos parka, someone buy it
tounge.gif

JVParka004.jpg

Racove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by basho
I just got the Spiewak Greenwich Parka from .......... It's grey and exactly what I wanted -- a snorkel made with down, cotton shell rather than shiny nylon. Seems warm. $180 on sale. Oh and I'm 150lbs 6ft, and I sized down to a small and the arms are still long enough.

S8791-005zoom1.jpg

I'd like something similar, but waterproof. Not a big fan of the super shiny nylon either and I don't even know if it is waterproof. Anyone know if it is or is not?

g.re

Reaction score
dont know if you ever saw them, but i seriously like some pieces of the italian woolrich collection: here you can see it (please excuse the poor translation). i have the adirondak parka in black. so good, imo.

basho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove
I'd like something similar, but waterproof. Not a big fan of the super shiny nylon either and I don't even know if it is waterproof. Anyone know if it is or is not?

eh, I doubt it. you mean waterproof like gore-tex? at best it has some DWR coating, but i bet it doesn't even have that. if you want down and gore-tex, try something from LL Bean or Patagonia.

calloyaddy

Reaction score
I have the spiewak in the photo above, and it's not waterproof. It's great for snow, not so much for heavy rain. It's warm as hell, and looks great with jeans. Mine's from last year, and I think this year's is a little different (much cheaper~ I paid 290+ for mine, and now they run about 200). I know the fur trim has shrunk, and maybe they're sourcing a different twill for the exterior? Either way, still a great coat . . .

keikun13

Reaction score
Definitely +1 for Spiewak. Not really a parka, but I have the Carson Field Jacket and it fits very well and is quite warm for the cold winters here in Boston.

Racove

Reaction score
I tried on most of the Spiewak Parkas and wasn't really feeling it. Its a shame too, I really wanted something similar and the prices were good. Even found them 40%-70% off. For one thing, I couldn't get over how massive the hoods were. It could easily fit over a football helmut, probably with room to spare. I couldn't find a comfortable way to wear it with the hood up.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received this winter coat--a Barbour Wax Down Jacket. I think it is a great coat. Slim fitting, very warm, sturdy zipper.

70432636.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads