• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
I bought a 100% linen shirt at a great price ($10, BNWT), but it's a tad too blousy. It's been washed, but not put in the dryer. If I do stick it in, do you think I'll get a decent amount of shrinkage, or will I have to tailor it?

Geoff

centrix

Reaction score
might as well tailor since the price of the shirt is already so low

hws

Reaction score
Put in wash maschine hot water little soap, two wash cycle. Then hang for dry (do not put in dry maschine!), and iron.

SuperSaiyan3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hws
Put in wash maschine hot water little soap, two wash cycle. Then hang for dry (do not put in dry maschine!), and iron.

agreed. Why would you tailor if it costs little?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan3
agreed. Why would you tailor if it costs little?

So that you can control exactly the nature of the alterations you want.

"Blousy" I find is seldom cured by shrinking cottons and linens; what you mostly get is "shorter".

What if you don't want the sleeves shorter or the length? Or the collar tighter?
So it cost ~$18 to have the sides trimmed. You're still only in for ~$30 total.

But hey, it's your nickel.

hws

Reaction score
With clothes it is possible win little size always by stretching items after wash and dry, for example pull jeans legs after wash and dry in air. Also when iron shirt it is stretched little when make iron to preserve size.

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hws
With clothes it is possible win little size always by stretching items after wash and dry, for example pull jeans legs after wash and dry in air. Also when iron shirt it is stretched little when make iron to preserve size.
But never stretch clothes fabric in bias direction!

MDLimey

Reaction score
If you washed the shirt in warm or hot water then try drying it on a lower temp setting such as "delicates" or "knits". then work up to "Cotton" setting. In general Linen does not shrink as much as cotton.
Be careful of uneven shrikage - your shirt could have cotton interlinings in the cuff and neck, which could look awful or not fit if they shrank!

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it hasn't taken the OP 9 months to get around to this...

VictorC

Reaction score
Ive bought a pair of linen trousers and the are too big around the waist. They come in 32inch waist and next down is 30inch waist. I am a 32 normally but these 32 linen trousers were very ample in the waist area, whereas the 30 inch pair were just about right in the waist but if washed and shrunk would be too tight.

So i basically just returned them. Worring about whether i got the right size is too stressful to deal with.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
I bought a 100% linen shirt at a great price ($10, BNWT), but it's a tad too blousy. It's been washed, but not put in the dryer. If I do stick it in, do you think I'll get a decent amount of shrinkage, or will I have to tailor it?

Geoff

a lot of people think mistakenly that a blousy shirt can simply made to look slimmer and more eye-pleasing by a shrinkage through washing.

no.

usually a blousy shirt ,if it will shrink, willl shrink down to a tight-fitting 'blousy' shirt.

meaning, now it doesnt fit, your shoulder, across chest, shorter sleeves, etc, it fits like it is too small ,
but still,
the armholes are still huge, the waist width is still huge, the sleeve width is still huge, etc.

better to tailor.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a better shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads