• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to measure shoes for online purchase?

saxcolossusjr

Reaction score
Hey all,

We all know that the way shoes are measured is bs and completely unstandardized. What is the best way to measure your foot and compare it to a shoe one is buying online, say from another SF user? Just the length from heel to end of the big toe?

I am really interested in getting some nice double monks and some wingtips, but I dont want to drop $200 with out being sure they will fit.

Thanks guys

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saxcolossusjr
Hey all,

We all know that the way shoes are measured is bs and completely unstandardized. What is the best way to measure your foot and compare it to a shoe one is buying online, say from another SF user? Just the length from heel to end of the big toe?

I am really interested in getting some nice double monks and some wingtips, but I dont want to drop $200 with out being sure they will fit.

Thanks guys

I find it difficult and iffy to buy shoes online. You need a good return policy.

Length of heel to end of big toe? That's not calculated to tell you anything useful. Why would you forgo all other indicia of shoe size (including the size of the shoes that fit you well) and just try to measure the length of your foot in inches and get a seller to do what -- measure the outside of the shoe??

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's dicy. the length of the inside of the shoes doesn't tell you squat because different lasts are more/less pointed. the real thing to be worried about is width. Even though I have regular width feet, I've encountered shoes that were perfect lengthwise but too narrow widthwise and I ended up reselling them here.

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Best recommendation I can give you is to go to a brick and mortar store carrying the brand of shoe desired and try on each of their Lasts. If you are wanting a shoe not carried locally, talk with the Company and ensure you understand the return policy. I do not have access to Cleverley shoes where I live but I talked with a Company Rep and discussed Last versus sizing, the return policy, and costs (shoe, shipping, etc.). If they don't fit properly, I'll return them and get the size that does...conversely, I do have access to a shop with Alden, EG, and GG offerings. Although I bought a couple of these shoes from them, I have since bought from the companies directly. It's not that hard and requires a little patience, but if you want the shoe that catches your eye, you may just have to take a few "informed" chances. And like one of our learned forumites stated earlier, Last is everything! I'm a 9E in the EG 202 and 606, an 8.5E in the GG CG06 and MH71, and an 8.5E in the JL 8000. Meanwhile, I'm a 9D in the Alden Plaza last and an 8.5D in the Barrie Last. Go figure.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saxcolossusjr
Bartolo - I was just throwing something out there, I really don't know how I would measure my foot.

I think it best to rely on actual sizes of shoes that fit you well, rather than try to "deconstruct" it and just measure your foot in inches.

If the shoes you want to buy are pretty well-known here, you can probably find references to how "true" the sizes run. For example, if you really want Aldens on a Barrie last, there is plenty written here about how they run. If you can't narrow it down like that, you'll probably have to just take a chance and either return them if possible, or re-sell.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drydis Greis
And like one of our learned forumites stated earlier, Last is everything! I'm a 9E in the EG 202 and 606, an 8.5E in the GG CG06 and MH71, and an 8.5E in the JL 8000. Meanwhile, I'm a 9D in the Alden Plaza last and an 8.5D in the Barrie Last. Go figure.

+1 and, hey, we're the same size.

I've actually compiled a list of sizing notes of the different lasts/makers that fit me. When I run across a post where someone has compared sizes in one shoe to that of another, I make sure to jot it down. I also try on stuff whenever I can at stores even if I don't particularly like the color or styling. Just knowing how a certain maker/last fits is helpful.

Shoes are probably the most difficult to buy blindly since there is no way to alter them to fit (besides an occasional tongue pad). Even though it's hard to pass up a good online deal, I end up buying most shoes in person (and paying more) since an ill-fitting shoe just won't ever get worn.

Edward

Reaction score
Don't buy shoes without trying them on first (unless they have a good return policy and you don't mind the trouble of repacking them and returning them). Years ago while traveling I bought a pair of black shoes that fit perfectly and I wanted to buy the exact same model in brown. They didn't have them in stock and promised to order them and mail them to me. They came, were the right model, and seemingly the same size. But they were too tight and stretching them didn't help. I learned my lesson. Nowadays I always try shoes on before buying even if I pay more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads