• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to increase stamina/endurance?

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a soccer player, but I've always lacked fitness. I've always been able to manage with my technical skill and head for the game, but if I was actually in shape I think I could be deadly.

So what's the best way to increase physical stamina, so I get tired less, am able to run longer before tiring. Is interval training "” i.e. jogging with sprint intervals "” or simply jogging for a certain length of time the best route?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many days do you play soccer? You need to do both longer runs at lower intensity simply to get the endurance and shorter interval training to get the short bursts of energy you will need. I would add two days of long runs at say 60-70% of max heart rate, say 60 min or so, and one day of conditioning which could be intervals and/or some kind of GPP conditioning like a circuit of burpees/mountain climbers/grasshoppers/jumping jacks, etc. Also, you can do a shuttle drill on your soccer field - great conditioning workout.

Pinhas

Reaction score
Suicides and HIIT training

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gfreeman
I'm a soccer player, but I've always lacked fitness. I've always been able to manage with my technical skill and head for the game, but if I was actually in shape I think I could be deadly. So what's the best way to increase physical stamina, so I get tired less, am able to run longer before tiring. Is interval training — i.e. jogging with sprint intervals — or simply jogging for a certain length of time the best route?
Define stamina. Are you going to be operating at aerobic or anaerobic levels most of the time? Interval training will work just fine for you for a little while, but it's highly misunderstood (hence the majority of these replies).
I would add two days at 60-70% of max heart rate, say 60-90 min or so
^Good stuff If you're are going to do interval training, make it directed toward to your goals. Unless you're looking to build your physique in general, sprints will provide superior results to barbell complexes for soccer. Also, make your training functional. All that matters is your heart rate, as your breathing will fix itself as you work out (this can make aerobic work feel really pointless at times, though). Instead of a long run or sprints, do drills at your necessary heart rate.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Define stamina. Are you going to be operating at aerobic or anaerobic levels most of the time? Interval training will work just fine for you for a little while, but it's highly misunderstood (hence the majority of these replies).
It's mostly aerobic, with a little anaerobic thrown in, I guess, when I'm jostling for the ball and need to be strong.
If you're are going to do interval training, make it directed toward to your goals. Unless you're looking to build your physique in general, sprints will provide superior results to barbell complexes for soccer.
I've always worked out inconsistently over the last few years, with the goal being to build my physique. I do want to do that, too. I have a pretty good weight routine down, it's just a matter of not slacking. I know less about running and that kind of fitness.
Also, make your training functional. All that matters is your heart rate, as your breathing will fix itself as you work out (this can make aerobic work feel really pointless at times, though). Instead of a long run or sprints, do drills at your necessary heart rate.
Last night I ran for 20 minutes and then biked for 20 minutes, and in a few days I'll increase that to 25 minutes running and 25 on the bike, then increase by five again after a few session/week or two. I've sometimes incorporated sprints into the running and biking, taking "breaks" (running/biking back at regular speed) before sprinting for 30 seconds or whatever.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the biggest thing to consider here before moving forward is where you're starting at. Do your know your resting heart rate? Any idea what your fastest mile is?

The main idea behind aerobic training to increase the size of your left ventricle. Between 60 and 70% max heartrate is supposed to get largest "stroke" per beat. Essentially the goal is to maintain this maximum chamber volume for a long period of time. This is why knowing and maintaining your ideal heart rate is more important than simply busting ass. Once your heart starts pounding your start thickening the muscle walls, but stroke volume isn't maximized.

2balls

Reaction score
Have you ever tried creatine? There are a lot of supplements out there nowadays that can help you achieve your goals.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
Intense StairMaster workouts.

Don't hold the handle bars.

+1

Go full blast for 4 minutes, low intensity for 1 minute. Do this for an hour.

You'll definitely build stamina.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
+1 Go full blast for 4 minutes, low intensity for 1 minute. Do this for an hour. You'll definitely build stamina.
An hour? Good lord. I think I'd have a stroke after 20 minutes of sprinting up a stairmaster machine.

tjcam

Reaction score
One day a week add either sprint intervals or if you have the option hill runs. On the weekend, do a longer run than usual (i.e. if you're running 3 miles on average, add a five mile run on the weekend and you can increase the distance on this day to whatever makes you comfortable). That should help you see gains in both speed and endurance within a few weeks.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soccer specifically, I have never played the first game in 'game shape', the only way to get there is to play, and play a lot.

a combination of 25-35 mins of running, sprints, and lunges is my recommendation though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads