• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best time of the day to exercise?

sydneycentric

Reaction score
I exercise daily before eating breakfast by going for a 30 min jog followed by 4 sets of 50 sit ups. I don't think that this is sufficient for me to lose weight and tone up so I have joined the local gym. My question is to do with weight training. I would think that doing cardio before breakfast and doing weights in the evenings would be the proper way? What do you guys think?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^whatever fits in your schedule. Through personal experience, I'm able to shed fat much faster (with proper diet of course) if I do cardio in the morning before eating. But I also find I am a little weaker in the mornings. I prefer doing weights at night. Unless you are training for something specific. Alternate. And you're going to have to do much more than sit ups and push ups if you want to tone your body (i.e. putting up more decent poundage with compound exercises).

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 hours after waking or 1 hr after dinner.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, towards the end of the day but before dinner. Not sure how much a difference that makes though.

aleeboy

Reaction score
I don't do any cardio... only hit the weights. I do a mix of morning, afternoon and nights just so I don't make any excuses to miss something and because of the different exercises and loads I do. For example, if I have to do mornings, I would focus mostly on upper body coz I find my lower back and hamstrings a little too stiff to do leg work, squat and deads for example.

I'm not sure if there is any science behind this, but as long as your lifting (plus some cardio) you should be able to see results in no time. Keep in mind you may have to tweak your diet too.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
3 hours after waking or 1 hr after dinner.

How can you do 1 hr after dinner? Back when I lifted, that was possible (but not comfortable), but doing muay thai makes me almost puke if I ate an hour before.

gimp

Reaction score
I seem to be able to workout better around mid-afternoon. Barring that, evening.

kdaust

Reaction score
I only have time in the morning.

So its breakfast, walk to the gym, stretch, weights.

Then if I have time left before work i'll hit some cardio.

I don't think time of the day matters as much as maintaining a consistent routine. The results will come if you're consistent with diet and exercise.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever fits your lifestyle, schedule, and makes you wanna keep going.

thats all.

for example, i prefer working out in the evening.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
^^whatever fits in your schedule.

Originally Posted by Flambeur
Whatever fits your lifestyle, schedule, and makes you wanna keep going.

I'm with these guys. Get into a routine and stick with it. Some say it's best to workout in the morning. I'm not a morning person. I could force myself to workout in the mornings and hate it. Eventually I'd just start skipping my workouts and spend that time sleeping.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydneycentric
Ok. So I guess as long as there is a routine your body will get used to it.

well no.

you have to listen to your body and know how it works.

there is no way in hell i would ever get used to working out in the morning, even though i've done it for prolonged periods of time.

on the other hand, i can work out at 11PM all the time and it never bothers me like morning workouts.

it has to do with your hormones too. My testosterone has to be waaaaay up in the evening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads