• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best navy or burgundy velvet blazer under $500?

dexvd

Reaction score
Hey guys I have been looking for a while for a decent but affordable velvet sport coat, I am a 36 S and need something with like a 17" shoulder and 28" inch or shorter in length. Pretty much everything I find is either off in the shoulders or is too expensive. Any suggestions?

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would be cautious about spending that much on a velvet blazer. Use is pretty limited, would consider either wool-silk blend or cotton-silk blend instead since they are much more versatile.

With that said, the best place is to watch ebay. I've seen RLBL velvet blazers on there in that price range, mostly b/c they don't sell well.

dexvd

Reaction score
Yeah I have been watching ebay but everything I see that is in my measurements has dated looking lapels and buttons. Saw a nice Black Label RL one but it was like 600 and in black... There are a few wine bars and martini bars in my city that I feel are not navy blazer territory but more casual than suit, like a suit with no tie would be ok but I just feel like a velvet blazer, like clearly evening wear would be perfect.

Any suggestions besides, velvet jacket or suit sans tie that would excel in this lounge/evening wear setting?

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got one by Adrien Sauvage that I would be willing to sell (because I don't get enough use out of it). It even has working button cuffs, very nicely done. 15 % cashmere, too - amazing to the touch. The only thing is its a very dark navy that looks black in low lighting. Retail was £1k, but I bought it for £600 in a sale, so I'd be willing to part with it for your budget. Condition is flawless - almost unworn.

Oh and it has modest peak lapels, and is half a year old.

http://asauvage.com/

Last edited:

dexvd

Reaction score
Sounds awesome but with the working button cuffs I am concerned about sleeve length, what are the measurements?

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I have no idea. There's space enough to shorten or lengthen the sleeve a bit. If you're genuinely interested I can measure it, but I'm not particularly adept at measuring clothing. What I do know is that it's a very slim and relatively short jacket in 36.

If you're willing to cover the cost of postage I would have no problem if you returned it should it not fit.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you're located but if you have a Saks Off Fifth near you, you might want to check there. A month or so ago I picked up a burgundy velvet Valentino jacket and they still had lots left in burgundy and navy. I think retail was about $1K, Saks had it for $399 and then they were having a 40% off all SC sale so I got it for $240 or so.

Joseph R

Reaction score
Fred, I'm wondering what Off-5th location you checked that had the Valentino coats? I've tried calling a few in NY and they don't have anything like that in stock.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads