• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Mid-Level Suit?

Xman11815

Reaction score
Got a new job and need to start upping my wardrobe. What are the best options for suits under $1500?

I'm 23, pretty thin, and looking for a slim/modern fit.

BrokenThread

Reaction score
At about $1500, ring jacket from khakis of carmel or the armoury is a relatively modern cut, great RTW option. Sid Mashburn also has their houseline suits at that price point which are in the slim/modern category and are well made. For a bit more (~$1800 with sf discount), you can get a ready to wear but bench made Sartoria Formosa suit from No Man Walks Alone. These are cut slim but have more classic (and to my eye pleasing) Neapolitan construction. All that said- make sure you understand your measurements/body idiosyncrasies before ordering online. If you are uncertain, choose a place like NMWA with a great return policy.

Xman11815

Reaction score
At about $1500, ring jacket from khakis of carmel or the armoury is a relatively modern cut, great RTW option. Sid Mashburn also has their houseline suits at that price point which are in the slim/modern category and are well made. For a bit more (~$1800 with sf discount), you can get a ready to wear but bench made Sartoria Formosa suit from No Man Walks Alone. These are cut slim but have more classic (and to my eye pleasing) Neapolitan construction. All that said- make sure you understand your measurements/body idiosyncrasies before ordering online. If you are uncertain, choose a place like NMWA with a great return policy.

Thanks. How would a suit from KOC or NMWA compare to something like the 1818 from Brooks Brothers or SuitSupply options?

Last edited:

BrokenThread

Reaction score
I have no personal experience with SS. The BB 1818 line is obviously less expensive (~$1000-1200, less on sale) and is reasonably well made. These are generally half as opposed to full canvassed suits like Formosa/Mashburn/Ring. The wools are decent. Be careful in looking at the BB cuts- they differ significantly-- the closest to what you describe is the Fitzgerald. The buttoning point is higher and the lapel narrower than my preference, but I think this looks good on some. The nice thing about BB is you should be able to find a store close to try on some fits in person and see what really looks best on you. You may be surprised. Good luck!

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. How would a suit from KOC or NMWA compare to something like the 1818 from Brooks Brothers or SuitSupply options?

Welcome to the forum, Xman. First of all, Satoria Formosa is leaps and bounds above both of those. It is an entirely handmade suit from a small bespoke workshop in Naples. The value is amazing and there is nothing else like them on the market. Ring Jacket makes a great suit...good fabrics, construction, and a variety of nice cuts.

How many times a week do you need to wear a suit?

Last edited:

Xman11815

Reaction score

The Satoria's do look gorgeous. I'm just concerned about the fit. As I said before I am young and pretty thin. Most of the more sophisticated brands I've tried on seem to be very boxy on me.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Agree, for that price point you open yourself up to a large number of MTM options. Those are inherently local so it depends on where live for more specific options.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? Besides slim, what's your frame? What do you like?

Last edited:

atila

Reaction score
Why are you guys SO concerned about the slimness of the cut? Obviously you get a general style and size you like, but take it to a tailor and spend $150 max and get it tailored to your body.

Never understood this issue for people with suits on this forum. Tailoring is your friend.

TOstyle

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's totallyfair. There's a lot of variations in styles on here, and not everyone is looking for trendy slim fits.

I'd say the issue is wanting to get a good fit, whatever that means for you. And doing custom tends to do that better than OTR, since there are limits to after-market alterations. I'd rather put that $150 into getting a better quality product overall.

Xman11815

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Xman. First of all, Satoria Formosa is leaps and bounds above both of those. It is an entirely handmade suit from a small bespoke workshop in Naples. The value is amazing and there is nothing else like them on the market. Ring Jacket makes a great suit...good fabrics, construction, and a variety of nice cuts.

How many times a week do you need to wear a suit?
I really like the ring jackets from The Armoury.

Considering this is my first decent suit, what style do you think I should go with out of these?
http://shop.thearmoury.com/us/categories/suits

Should I stick to the plain navy/grey's? I do really like the pinstripe option, but I'm not sure if I could pull that off right now being so young.

Also do you know if if the core 184 cut is slimmer than the AMJ01 option?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads