• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Hoodies!? Recommendations

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I just don't like the fact that my ideal zipper is gold.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with the W+H hoodies is that they look terrible on 90% of the people who try wearing them, especially the tiger fleece! At worst they transform the wearer into looking rather child-like, and at best they only create a slightly awkward look. The pictures in the WAYWT thread over the last several years prove this well. One could easily argue that the majority of the nicest hoodies come from Japanese labels. There is simply no demand here in the US for expensive hoodies, but there is in Japan. Mr. Olive, DBSS and, wjk all make great hoodies in the $200 to $500. But there are many other great brands with similarly high quality and interesting designs-- these are just the one's I'm personally most familar with. Mr. Olive is the most stylistically similar to W+H. But unlike W+H their hoodie designs can change a lot season to season. Some of their designs provide a more workwear-like look that matches W+H aesthetic well, while others look more Asian rock-star like. So you may have to watch for a while before you find the perfect one, but once you do you'll probably like it better than the W+H one. DBSS hoodies are more distinct and edgy looking. DBSS bases all their hoodies around a double rider leather jacket style with an asymmetrical zipper, changing the fabric and details with each season. Most of them are cotton like you'd expect, but occasionally they'll offer a wool or rayon one. wjk is very simple and basic looking, but the quality is incredible. This brand never skimps on the quality of fabrics or the hardware. They tend to put those huge gunmetal riri zippers on everything they make as if it were an attempt to impress you-- kind of gimmicky, but I'm not complaining! Some pictures.... DBSS
dbss_hoodie3.jpg
dbss_hoodie4.jpg
Mr. Olive
mrolive_hoodie1.jpg
1.JPG
wjk
296mj0259-01.jpg
296mj0259-12.jpg
296mj0259-11.jpg

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
The problem with the W+H hoodies is that they look terrible on 90% of the people who try wearing them, especially the tiger fleece! At worst they transform the wearer into looking rather child-like, and at best they only create a slightly awkward look. The pictures in the WAYWT thread over the last several years prove this well.

One could easily argue that the majority of the nicest hoodies come from Japanese labels. There is simply no demand here in the US for expensive hoodies, but there is in Japan. Mr. Olive, DBSS and, wjk all make great hoodies in the $200 to $500. But there are many other great brands with similarly high quality and interesting designs-- these are just the one's I'm personally most familar with.

Mr. Olive is the most stylistically similar to W+H. But unlike W+H their hoodie designs can change a lot season to season. Some of their designs provide a more workwear-like look that matches W+H aesthetic well, while others look more Asian rock-star like. So you may have to watch for a while before you find the perfect one, but once you do you'll probably like it better than the W+H one.

DBSS hoodies are more distinct and edgy looking. DBSS bases all their hoodies around a double rider leather jacket style with an asymmetrical zipper, changing the fabric and details with each season. Most of them are cotton like you'd expect, but occasionally they'll offer a wool or rayon one.

wjk is very simple and basic looking, but the quality is incredible. This brand never skimps on the quality of fabrics or the hardware. They tend to put those huge gunmetal riri zippers on everything they make as if it were an attempt to impress you-- kind of gimmicky, but I'm not complaining!

Thanks for the information. Ever since I saw that pair of wjk sweats the other day I've been in love. And that hoody only solidifies that. Your observation on the riri zippers is timely considering a conversation we had above regarding if riri's might be too substantial for a majority of the w/h hoodies nowadays (i think yes). I like the Mr. Olive as well. I can't wear clothing like the DBSS pictured, but on the right frame and person (tall & thin, I would think) I could see that being a nice look.

For grins, if anyone can find a picture of someone wearing a w/h hoodie that is very ill-fitting please post in this thread (from WAYWT, or anywhere). I want to see how they contour to various body types.

ghostface

Reaction score
I agree with BB1 that the W+H hoodies usually don't look that great, regardless of how soft or warm the fabric may be. I've really enjoyed both of my Robert Geller hoodies. He usually does a good job of playing with geometric details in a way that generates visual interest without straying into 'overdesigned' territory...

ma1

Reaction score
My alt apparel pullover hoodie is one of my favorite things. The sleeves are nice and slim and that's really hard to find in a cheap hoodie, and eco fleece is a dope fabric.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Drkshdw hoodie so much. I kick the **** out of it and it's held up so well.

****** pic:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjctMjAxMDAxMDgtMTAwN.jpg

bob99

Reaction score
Can someone recommend an online store where I can buy WJK? I like the look of their hoodies! Bonus points if it's in Canada
smile.gif

quasky

Reaction score
that black wjk hoodie BB1 posted is too sick.

re: w+h, yeah, they've definitely taken a step backwards in terms of quality. i had a red tiger fleece from f/w07 that was an absolute beast. warm as hell, with nice lampo zips. wore that **** several times a week for nearly two years before it really started to show signs of wear. got a blue tiger fleece from f/w09 that's not nearly as nice. started to pill after a couple weeks, arms stretched out quite a bit, and the ideal zips aren't american apparel bad, but they aren't much better. probably will be the last w+h hoodie i buy.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seconded on drkshdw hoodies. the one that i had for like a month kicked ass. couldnt justify the price though
ffffuuuu.gif

sh0ebox

Reaction score
Regarding w+h tiger fleece and looking goofy, I am in agreement.... but only when we are talking about the classic blue/grey/black tiger fleeces that are standard and re-issued from season to season. I honestly think that those colored tiger fleeces are very ugly and too loud... I would not want to buy those colors. I think tiger fleece is best in the more subdued colors in which the grain isn't as apparent. The one I have (olive) is several seasons old and it's a shame that they don't make it anymore, because IMO it is one of the most subtle forms of tiger fleece that was ever made (along with navy and maybe the dark red tiger fleece from a few years back as well). With these colors, the distinctive tiger fleece pattern is still present, but it is much more muted so you don't stick out like a sore thumb. The plus side, though, is that you still get the wonderfully soft, thick and warm fabric.

I've seen a lot of the more "baller" hoodies that I've liked a lot but they're too baller for me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads