1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Hoodies!? Recommendations

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Understatement, Oct 21, 2010.

1. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Think they stop using RiRi on their hoodies...

Yes, I would like to see some pictures of this..

otherwise, POIDH.

2. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

Yes, I would like to see some pictures of this..

otherwise, POIDH.

everyone knows and hates that they now use shitty ideal zips.

3. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

everyone knows and hates that they now use shitty ideal zips.

Ideal is crap. Not enough to keep me from buying a hoody, but they frickin' suck. Been discussed in the w/h '10 thread.

"Tough as nails construction" - wrong. Tough as nails fabric. Your jacket's only as good as your zipper. I would much prefer a standard YKK like you would find on a $20 hoody. Anything but Ideal. I would love to hear the reasoning behind moving away from RiRi. w/h's still offers them I noticed. On some of the highest end pieces.

4. sh0ebox

sh0ebox Senior member

I've currently got 2 w+h hoodies (one tiger fleece, one slatted fleece) from the older seasons and they're easily my favorite hoodies. I wear them almost everyday, especially during this time of year. Extremely comfortable and extremely warm (especially the tiger fleece)... also have a great slim fit and wonderful construction. The ones I have use Lampo zips (after they stopped using RiRi but before they started using Ideal IIRC).

I used to have a w+h hoodie with RiRi zips too but that one was sold. I'll be honest and say that while RiRi zips are fantastic quality, they might be a bit too heavy duty for these hoodies IMO. RiRi zips just don't slide all that well. If anyone has owned/used a w+h hoodie with Lampo zips you'd know what I mean. The Lampos slide like butter but IMO don't sacrifice quality. I think they're the ideal zips for hoodies like these, and it's a shame that w+h has abandoned them to use something shitty.

5. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

I used to have a w+h hoodie with RiRi zips too but that one was sold. I'll be honest and say that while RiRi zips are fantastic quality, they might be a bit too heavy duty for these hoodies IMO

I think you are right there. Thinking about my '07 or '08 classic fit tiger fleece hoody that did have a riri, the zipper is extremely substantial. But that thing is like a tank. Thicker and warmer than anything i've seen recently. And the riri suits it just fine. It has that rubberized zipper piece connector at the bottom which makes connecting the zipper a breeze. But....they would be too big for these tiger fleeces, and certainly too large for the thin cotton S/S hoodies. The weight of them would be all zipper. Too bad they didn't stick with the Lampo's, though I can't say I've seen one yet. Wonder what happened there..

6. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

I just don't like the fact that my ideal zipper is gold.

7. BB1

BB1 Senior member

The problem with the W+H hoodies is that they look terrible on 90% of the people who try wearing them, especially the tiger fleece! At worst they transform the wearer into looking rather child-like, and at best they only create a slightly awkward look. The pictures in the WAYWT thread over the last several years prove this well. One could easily argue that the majority of the nicest hoodies come from Japanese labels. There is simply no demand here in the US for expensive hoodies, but there is in Japan. Mr. Olive, DBSS and, wjk all make great hoodies in the $200 to $500. But there are many other great brands with similarly high quality and interesting designs-- these are just the one's I'm personally most familar with. Mr. Olive is the most stylistically similar to W+H. But unlike W+H their hoodie designs can change a lot season to season. Some of their designs provide a more workwear-like look that matches W+H aesthetic well, while others look more Asian rock-star like. So you may have to watch for a while before you find the perfect one, but once you do you'll probably like it better than the W+H one. DBSS hoodies are more distinct and edgy looking. DBSS bases all their hoodies around a double rider leather jacket style with an asymmetrical zipper, changing the fabric and details with each season. Most of them are cotton like you'd expect, but occasionally they'll offer a wool or rayon one. wjk is very simple and basic looking, but the quality is incredible. This brand never skimps on the quality of fabrics or the hardware. They tend to put those huge gunmetal riri zippers on everything they make as if it were an attempt to impress you-- kind of gimmicky, but I'm not complaining! Some pictures.... DBSS [​IMG] [​IMG] Mr. Olive [​IMG] [​IMG] wjk [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

The problem with the W+H hoodies is that they look terrible on 90% of the people who try wearing them, especially the tiger fleece! At worst they transform the wearer into looking rather child-like, and at best they only create a slightly awkward look. The pictures in the WAYWT thread over the last several years prove this well.

One could easily argue that the majority of the nicest hoodies come from Japanese labels. There is simply no demand here in the US for expensive hoodies, but there is in Japan. Mr. Olive, DBSS and, wjk all make great hoodies in the $200 to $500. But there are many other great brands with similarly high quality and interesting designs-- these are just the one's I'm personally most familar with.

Mr. Olive is the most stylistically similar to W+H. But unlike W+H their hoodie designs can change a lot season to season. Some of their designs provide a more workwear-like look that matches W+H aesthetic well, while others look more Asian rock-star like. So you may have to watch for a while before you find the perfect one, but once you do you'll probably like it better than the W+H one.

DBSS hoodies are more distinct and edgy looking. DBSS bases all their hoodies around a double rider leather jacket style with an asymmetrical zipper, changing the fabric and details with each season. Most of them are cotton like you'd expect, but occasionally they'll offer a wool or rayon one.

wjk is very simple and basic looking, but the quality is incredible. This brand never skimps on the quality of fabrics or the hardware. They tend to put those huge gunmetal riri zippers on everything they make as if it were an attempt to impress you-- kind of gimmicky, but I'm not complaining!

Thanks for the information. Ever since I saw that pair of wjk sweats the other day I've been in love. And that hoody only solidifies that. Your observation on the riri zippers is timely considering a conversation we had above regarding if riri's might be too substantial for a majority of the w/h hoodies nowadays (i think yes). I like the Mr. Olive as well. I can't wear clothing like the DBSS pictured, but on the right frame and person (tall & thin, I would think) I could see that being a nice look.

For grins, if anyone can find a picture of someone wearing a w/h hoodie that is very ill-fitting please post in this thread (from WAYWT, or anywhere). I want to see how they contour to various body types.

9. connor

connor Senior member

that wjk brands been lookin good to me between nicelynice's leather, the sweats you posted and these sweatshirts... looks like good quality well designed shit

10. ghostface

ghostface Senior member

I agree with BB1 that the W+H hoodies usually don't look that great, regardless of how soft or warm the fabric may be. I've really enjoyed both of my Robert Geller hoodies. He usually does a good job of playing with geometric details in a way that generates visual interest without straying into 'overdesigned' territory...

11. adidasfan

adidasfan Senior member

Jedidah and Alternative Apparel i think make awesome hoodies.

12. ma1

ma1 Senior member

My alt apparel pullover hoodie is one of my favorite things. The sleeves are nice and slim and that's really hard to find in a cheap hoodie, and eco fleece is a dope fabric.

13. yayorc

yayorc Senior member

Wish i had seen this before I started my own thread. I saved up a bit to get this All Saints leather hoodie I was in love with, only to find it sold out this morning. http://www.us.allsaints.com/men/leat...black/mlg503-5 Can anyone recommend anything similar in style and price? Thanks!

14. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I love my Drkshdw hoodie so much. I kick the shit out of it and it's held up so well.

Shitty pic:

[​IMG]

15. richardwallace

richardwallace Well-Known Member

16. bob99

bob99 Senior member

Can someone recommend an online store where I can buy WJK? I like the look of their hoodies! Bonus points if it's in Canada [​IMG]

17. Superfluous Man

Superfluous Man Senior member

I've got a Blanc & Noir hoodie that I really like. Awesome zipper, great fit, comfy terry lining.

18. quasky

quasky Senior member

that black wjk hoodie BB1 posted is too sick.

re: w+h, yeah, they've definitely taken a step backwards in terms of quality. i had a red tiger fleece from f/w07 that was an absolute beast. warm as hell, with nice lampo zips. wore that shit several times a week for nearly two years before it really started to show signs of wear. got a blue tiger fleece from f/w09 that's not nearly as nice. started to pill after a couple weeks, arms stretched out quite a bit, and the ideal zips aren't american apparel bad, but they aren't much better. probably will be the last w+h hoodie i buy.

19. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

seconded on drkshdw hoodies. the one that i had for like a month kicked ass. couldnt justify the price though [​IMG]

20. sh0ebox

sh0ebox Senior member

Regarding w+h tiger fleece and looking goofy, I am in agreement.... but only when we are talking about the classic blue/grey/black tiger fleeces that are standard and re-issued from season to season. I honestly think that those colored tiger fleeces are very ugly and too loud... I would not want to buy those colors. I think tiger fleece is best in the more subdued colors in which the grain isn't as apparent. The one I have (olive) is several seasons old and it's a shame that they don't make it anymore, because IMO it is one of the most subtle forms of tiger fleece that was ever made (along with navy and maybe the dark red tiger fleece from a few years back as well). With these colors, the distinctive tiger fleece pattern is still present, but it is much more muted so you don't stick out like a sore thumb. The plus side, though, is that you still get the wonderfully soft, thick and warm fabric.

I've seen a lot of the more "baller" hoodies that I've liked a lot but they're too baller for me