• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Functional Buttonhole Service

buttonholeman

Reaction score
If your looking for Functional Buttonholes don't hesitate to contact me. We provide the best quality work as well and quick service which is definitely better then sending products back to factory. We work on all brands of clothing which include Armani,Zegna,Oxford and Kiton just for examples. You will not be disappointed!!!

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a tailor who does nice job, but before I give the job to him I would like to see how you do this job.
Any pictures???

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
Might be a rather silly remark but isn't this the sartorial equivalence of those people driving around in fake car body kits; dressing up a Nissan to look like a Ferrari?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PoloPlayr
Might be a rather silly remark but isn't this the sartorial equivalence of those people driving around in fake car body kits; dressing up a Nissan to look like a Ferrari?
What? What brand of suit comes with working buttons that you are "imitating?" Even bespoke comes unfinished until your final fitting. Even then, some people choose to have non-functional buttonholes. Your comment makes no sense.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
What? What brand of suit comes with working buttons that you are "imitating?"

Even bespoke comes unfinished until your final fitting. Even then, some people choose to have non-functional buttonholes.

Your comment makes no sense.

I get where he's coming from. I've always associated working buttonholes with bespoke, and it seems a bit pretentious to have them put on MTO or OTR suits. I had them added to an OTR blazer once, and I feel like a weenie every time I wear that jacket, even though it made sense at the time (it has shank buttons that just weren't sitting right on the sleeves).

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I get where he's coming from. I've always associated working buttonholes with bespoke, and it seems a bit pretentious to have them put on MTO or OTR suits. I had them added to an OTR blazer once, and I feel like a weenie every time I wear that jacket, even though it made sense at the time (it has shank buttons that just weren't sitting right on the sleeves).

I don't see how they're any more pretentious on a MTO or OTR suit than on a bespoke suit. Just as with MTO/OTR, there's nothing inherent in the bespoke process that necessitates working sleeve buttons.

And I've never seen them used for thier intended purpose. My understanding is that they allow people to roll up their sleeves without removing their jacket (hence the name surgeon's cuffs)... never seen this done in real life. Maybe in a bygone era this happened but today we just remove our jackets and then roll up our shirt sleeves.

Nowadays it seems the only purpose of working buttonholes is to highlight the fact that your jacket has more expensive construction than others. So, whether the jacket is bespoke, MTO or RTW, as they have no functional value, I think all working button holes can be described as pretentious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics