• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Fabric for Bespoke Trousers?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning on getting some bespoke trousers made at a tailor in my area (NYC). I want them to be somewhat versatile, so that they could be worn with a sport coat/blazer or just a dress shirt, and work in most seasons (i.e., would rather have it be warmer than cooler, as nothing can stop the July/August heat).

Would cavalry twill work? A heavier wool? I'm a bit new to the menswear scene so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Crispaire is a very good option. Not too heavy, 3 season. Crispaire is also resistent. We work a lot with this also to make a whole suit.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Holland and Sherry Crispaire, without a doubt. Can easily wear them year-round in NYC (I wear mine year round in Detroit). They travel exceptionally well too. I have the grey, navy, brown, and olive, all by Ambrosi bespoke - couldn't be happier with them.

Edit* Detroit is far colder than NYC. I wear them in January, albeit they may not be my first pick.

Does Ambrosi have these and other English books, or did you order separately for CMT?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning on getting some bespoke trousers made at a tailor in my area (NYC). I want them to be somewhat versatile, so that they could be worn with a sport coat/blazer or just a dress shirt, and work in most seasons (i.e., would rather have it be warmer than cooler, as nothing can stop the July/August heat).

Would cavalry twill work? A heavier wool? I'm a bit new to the menswear scene so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Bedford cord doesn’t come in too many colors, but handles very well. Cavalry twill wears cooler than its weight. Whipcord also works, in rustic or gabardine-ish qualities. The Holland and Sherry Dakota book has a lot of these in medium weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads