• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Chef's Cookbook?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a cookbook containing advanced recipes and techniques. I was looking into Eric Ripert's Le Bernardin, and Chanterelle caught my eye, but wanted to get some opinions first. Anyone have a favorite?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Joel Robuchon/Patricia Wells "Simply French." I'm not exactly sure what "advanced techniques" are, but this book has the very best collection of recipes I've seen in Engrish.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Joel Robuchon/Patricia Wells "Simply French." I'm not exactly sure what "advanced techniques" are, but this book has the very best collection of recipes I've seen in Engrish.

I give that a plus one.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
how bad is the engrish?
The writing is fine, great. I just meant that if you open the question up to other languages, there is more competition.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The writing is fine, great. I just meant that if you open the question up to other languages, there is more competition.

I don't know dude... Rachel Ray's book is in English and that ***** can COOK.

YUM-O!!!!

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might enjoy Rachel Ray if I only had to read what she had to say, instead of listen to her attempt to speak.

Will seek out "Simply French". Thanks.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like the Momofuku book not so much for the recipes, which are kinda no-brainer to me, but for the story - David Chang has a small moment of modesty in the foreword where he talks about how he got into cooking, it's a bit rough around the edges but it's pretty amazing that he's gotten so far in so little time. He talks rough and has this heated passion for everything, with moments where he backs off a bit and admits where he's just winging it, or something.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I give that a plus one.
A little O/T, but most people don't realize the level of simplicity in great cooking, or the difficulties in being simple. A lot of these books, I think, add complexity so they look cheffy, while the best books, say the Grand Livre Ducasse series, are made of incredibly simple parts, even if each recipe has a ton of components. That isn't to say that some stuff isn't just complex. For example, I look at Heston Blumenthal's book and think "oh, that's cool, but I can't imagine doing that unless I was really looking to trouble myself." Not something I would bother doing more than once a year.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just got that book today, actually.
redface.gif
I wanted some reading for this cold month ahead of me and I've been meaning to buy these books forever, I read them everytime I go so I figured it was time to cop:
167965_964201056350_15904009_49983192_5180155_n.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads