• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Boots/Shoes for Army Blues Uniform?

DapperPhysician

Reaction score
Well the Military is paying for my schooling and I will eventually need to get the uniform but find that most of the shoes I've seen men wear in uniform and sell on base don't really look that good.

Here is the Army Regulation for your reading pleasure:
c. Shoes, oxford, black, male.
(1) Type. The shoes are clothing bag issue items.
(2) Description.
(a) The shoes are made from an approved specification or pattern or from a similar commercial design, and are made of leather, poromeric, or patent leather. The shoe is dress tie-oxford style, with at least three eyelets, and a closed toe and heel. The shoe is plain, with no designs in the shoe material.
(b) As an option, males may wear an ankle-high boot, similar to a jodhpur or chukka (riding) boot. If worn, the boot must be plain, without straps or buckles, with a non-contrasting heel and sole, and a heel no higher than 2 inches. An inconspicuously placed zipper is authorized.
(3) How worn. The oxford shoes are authorized for wear with service, dress, mess, evening mess, hospital duty, and food service uniforms.

The rule says oxfords but what I see people wear are usually bluchers so I'm not sure what to make of that.

I was thinking these Derbies from Meermin would certainly work and I know my size pretty well in them.

https://www.meermin.es/en/10146510190000se-19-101465-black-calf-e-negro.html

I know there are some plain toe Chukka boots that would work pretty well but I have no idea about what other boots qualify? Zip boots? Jodhpur boots have a strap or buckle as far as I know.

I really wish they would add Chelsea boots into this regulation as I think it should work pretty great!

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DapperPhysician

Reaction score
Those are nice, although personally I wouldn't spend that much on a black shoe. I'd be fine with the Meermin you showed above, but I personally would probably get something from Allen Edmonds seconds and call it a day. Carlyle, Badlands, Kenilworth, etc...
Yeah, I think I'll go with the meermin's as well.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally in the British Army, cavalry officers wear "George Boots" with their patrols (No. 1 dress) and, occasionally, mess dress (rather than mess wellingtons). Many UK makers offer this as an option for officers, such as Dege & Skinner etc. However, most regiments have their own tailor and supplier (Mine was Dege, and my eyes watered when I saw the overall cost, ca. £14,000). I wouldn't know who Dege gets their shoes off, probably someone like Sanders.

It seems there is a much more lax system for the US Army if you can simply wear what you feel like, so I'd suggest a chukka boot; one that is easy to shine too. A boot looks better in a wider range of situations. You could even use patent leather according to your regulations? That would be considered infra-dig in the British Army but I'd go for that to be honest as polishing shoes to a mirror shine is a real pain if you have to do it constantly!

I think the Tetbury by C&J would be the perfect all round boot, not too sure it comes in patent leather though. Alternatively, Sanders makes the shoes for the British Army but they're not the highest quality.

Also it depends what your uniform looks like as if your trousers are more trim like in the cavalry then the boots will fit the bill. If they're cut like a infantry regiment then maybe oxfords would be better.

DapperPhysician

Reaction score
Generally in the British Army, cavalry officers wear "George Boots" with their patrols (No. 1 dress) and, occasionally, mess dress (rather than mess wellingtons). Many UK makers offer this as an option for officers, such as Dege & Skinner etc. However, most regiments have their own tailor and supplier (Mine was Dege, and my eyes watered when I saw the overall cost, ca. £14,000). I wouldn't know who Dege gets their shoes off, probably someone like Sanders.

It seems there is a much more lax system for the US Army if you can simply wear what you feel like, so I'd suggest a chukka boot; one that is easy to shine too. A boot looks better in a wider range of situations. You could even use patent leather according to your regulations? That would be considered infra-dig in the British Army but I'd go for that to be honest as polishing shoes to a mirror shine is a real pain if you have to do it constantly!

I think the Tetbury by C&J would be the perfect all round boot, not too sure it comes in patent leather though. Alternatively, Sanders makes the shoes for the British Army but they're not the highest quality.

Also it depends what your uniform looks like as if your trousers are more trim like in the cavalry then the boots will fit the bill. If they're cut like a infantry regiment then maybe oxfords would be better.
It doesn't have to be patent leather, but if they are black calf skin they have to be shined which I'm fine with.

Lots of new terms I'm going to have to look up but thanks for your post!

And I'll check out those chukka boots from C&J's.

I decided to check out Sanders and they look nice but I don't know what reputation they have.

http://www.sanders-uk.com/shop/product/george-5634b

http://www.sanders-uk.com/shop/product/george-5634bwl

C&J also have nice chukkas, just not sure if 2 eyelets would pass although I don't think anyone would ever notice.

https://www.crockettandjones.com/tetbury-black-wax-calf/

https://www.crockettandjones.com/brecon-black-calf/

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads