• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wholecut boot with formal wear??

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
A question to you experts out there – would it be acceptable to wear an wholecut boot like the attached Carmina one for very formal dress, such as tails/white tie or cutaway/morning suit (funerals, weddings) or also black tie events? Rather than an Oxford?

A few added dimensions: I find cap toes total unacceptable for formal wear. The philosophy behind the plain shoe is that for festive occasions, all working parts have to be hidden. What is more a working part than the cap toe seam? We even hide the seam on the trousers with a satin stripe? And here we have a leather seam?! It's unseemly! ;)

Why I'm asking about this Carmina wholecut boot is that at weddings, waiting for hours to congratulate the bride and groom; and at funerals, standing around for hours until you get to pay your respects at the grave – often outdoors, often in bad weather, it would be wonderful to be wearing something a little more sturdy and warm. I was thinking of getting this one with a rubber sole even (or Tamir sole, half rubber?), and maybe even with a fur lining, and made of Cordovan. Would that be appropriate? And even if it is, would the rubber sole wreck it all?

One thing I'm not loving is that it's just a little ankle boot. There's something a little embarrassing about those. They seem a little weak and half-hearted to me. If you think that a boot could work with formal dress, do any of you know if there is a black plain toe Balmoral-style boot out there anywhere? And give me your thoughts on that.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Carmina Wholecut Oxford Black.jpg
    Carmina Wholecut Oxford Black.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 189

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re going to wear boots with a suit, those would be it. With that said, I’m not a fan of the look. First off, the little pull tab can get caught up with the hem of your slacks and cause them to get hung up. For someone wanting to look formal, it’s not a good look.

The question I always ask myself is “are there better options or are the other options equivalent?” In the case, the former; there are better options.

Also, with formal wear, whether day formal or evening formal, they would look out of place.

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
Thanks Phileas, for your reply. Hadn't even thought of the pull tab. What would you say are the better options?

Also: is it ever appropriate to have any kind of rubber on super formal (think: royal wedding or funeral) events?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Phileas, for your reply. Hadn't even thought of the pull tab. What would you say are the better options?

Also: is it ever appropriate to have any kind of rubber on super formal (think: royal wedding or funeral) events?

...Did you get news about the queen?

I feel you got news about the queen.

St1X

Reaction score
To answer your question - no, it's not appropriate. Especially for a white tie.
Boots (even wholecuts) are less formal than oxfords due to utilitarian heritage.
They'd be fine for a formal suit, though that is a step below a black tie

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
To answer your question - no, it's not appropriate. Especially for a white tie.
Boots (even wholecuts) are less formal than oxfords due to utilitarian heritage.
They'd be fine for a formal suit, though that is a step below a black tie
Thank you. St1X, I'm certain you are right. How do you feel about a coat of rubber on Oxfords? For tuxedo/tails/cutaway? Always inappropriate?

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
I think people used to wear black balmoral/oxford boots with morning dress, but never with evening dress.

St1X

Reaction score
Thank you. St1X, I'm certain you are right. How do you feel about a coat of rubber on Oxfords? For tuxedo/tails/cutaway? Always inappropriate?
I personally see no problem with it - provides a better grip and is waterproof.
That is a big deal for those of us who live in a places where it rains a lot

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question to you experts out there – would it be acceptable to wear an wholecut boot like the attached Carmina one for very formal dress, such as tails/white tie or cutaway/morning suit (funerals, weddings) or also black tie events? Rather than an Oxford?
Assuming this is a serious question, my response is no, absolutely not.

nworcest

Reaction score
At the risk of being non-bourgeouisie... a qualified "fiddlesticks".

With whom will you be mingling, and will they notice?

Cuffs should be long enough that most people wouldn't see they are boots or shoes. Most important is the portion which will actually be showing. Go for a high-shine and make sure they are broken in or fit you well so you can wear them comfortably.

Enfusia

Reaction score
I'm going to have to give that a big NO!

The reasons being that;
A). There are no occasions where boots are truly considered formal, even if they are whole cuts.

B). Eventually you'll sit down and if you cross your legs in most any fashion you'll expose the boot and immediately be looked upon questioningly at best.

C). When you stand back up your trouser could catch on the boot top, pull tab, laces or eyelets not allowing it to fall naturally and this would be unsightly.

D). Your laces could flare out and cause either a lump in the fabric where there should be the beginnings of a break or cause the break to lay incorrectly.

Have a great day!

Patrick

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
I'm going to have to give that a big NO!

The reasons being that;
A). There are no occasions where boots are truly considered formal, even if they are whole cuts.

B). Eventually you'll sit down and if you cross your legs in most any fashion you'll expose the boot and immediately be looked upon questioningly at best.

C). When you stand back up your trouser could catch on the boot top, pull tab, laces or eyelets not allowing it to fall naturally and this would be unsightly.

D). Your laces could flare out and cause either a lump in the fabric where there should be the beginnings of a break or cause the break to lay incorrectly.

Have a great day!

Patrick
Thanks, Partrick - you are true fashion sleuth! All excellent reasons!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads