• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best bespoke service of world

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am wearing bespoke clothing right at this moment, and it's fantastic.

Unfortunately, the OP cannot afford it.

Shame, really.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am wearing bespoke clothing right at this moment, and it's fantastic.

Unfortunately, the OP cannot afford it.

Shame, really.

What is fantastic, the clothing or the service and would you say it is the best?

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not so full of hubris to expect the best; it is enough for me, simply, to have something better than what the OP could ever have.

To have (me) and to have not (him.)

Paddock

Reaction score
Just asked for opinions, but as I saw, I am in the wrong place, I don't think many people here own a bespoke suit, sad.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true. There is one guy here who should receive his Beaman best bespoke service of world suit any day now

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am looking for some bespoke suits, money is not the problem, I heard that Hardy Amies has the best ones.

So, I want to know from you, where can I find the best bespoke suit?

Just asked for opinions, but as I saw, I am in the wrong place, I don't think many people here own a bespoke suit, sad.

No, you are in the right place. It's more how you asked than what you asked. If your question were more specific and focused you would have different responses. I have a few questions for you.
You are looking for a tailor to custom make your suits. Have you ever used a tailor to make your clothes? Does locale matter? You will probably need to visit with this tailor 4 to 6 times, do you intend to travel outside of your city or country or do you prefer someone local? Would you want to use a tailor that travels to your city? Do you have a time frame for delivery that needs to be met?
What style of cut and make is best for you? What do you prefer? Is there a look you want to have?
Are you hard to fit? Do you want a soft constructed suit? A more structured suit? Do you want a modern look or something more classic?
Do you want a tailor that has a specific point of view? Some tailors have a house style that would be adapted to you.
Some of these answers will help you identify who to work with by identifying whose style of work agrees with the aesthetic you want and then you can research their level of service and attention you can expect and learn how happy others have been from their experience working with them.

You received an opinion about Amies. Did that person have experience working with them? Do you trust their opinion?

Here is some info about Amies. Haven't heard much about this shop. If you try them you could let us know how it goes.

Hardy Amies
Main article: Hardy Amies
Hardy Amies Ltd is a fashion house at No. 14 Savile Row, founded by English dressmaker Sir Edwin Hardy Amies (17 July 1909 - 5 March 2003) in 1946.[16] Having been managing designer for Lachasse in 1934, and having designed clothes for the British Board of Trade under the government Utility Scheme, Amies bought the bombed out shell of No. 14 in 1946.

Amies was one of the first European designers to venture into the ready-to-wear market when he teamed up with Hepworths in 1959 to design a range of menswear. In 1961, Amies staged the first men's ready-to-wear catwalk shows, at the Ritz Hotel in London.[17] The Hardy Amies name is still licensed globally, particularly in Japan. Amies also undertook design for in-house work wear, which developed from designing special clothes for groups such as the Oxford University Boat Club and London Stock Exchange. Amies also designed costumes for films, including 2001: A Space Odyssey.[18]

Amies is best known to the British public for his work for HM Queen Elizabeth II. The association began in 1950, when Amies made several outfits for the then Princess Elizabeth's royal tour to Canada. Although the couture side of the Hardy Amies business was traditionally less financially successful, the award of a Royal Warrant as official dressmaker in 1955 gave his house a degree of respectability and resultant publicity. One of his best known creations is the gown he designed in 1977 for Queen Elizabeth's Silver Jubilee portrait which, he said, was "immortalised on a thousand biscuit tins."[16] Knighted in 1989, Amies held the warrant until 1990, when he gave it up so that younger designers could create for the Queen.[19]

In May 1973, Amies sold the business to Debenhams, who had themselves purchased Hepworths which distributed the Hardy Amies line. Amies purchased the business back in 1981. In May 2001, Amies sold his business to the Luxury Brands Group. He retired at the end of the year, when Moroccan-born designer Jacques Azagury became head of couture. In November 2008, after going bankrupt, the Hardy Amies brand was acquired by Fung Capital, the private investment arm of Victor and William Fung, who together control the Li & Fung group.[20] The current collection is overseen by creative director Claire Malcolm.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Hardy Amies Ltd is a fashion house at No. 14 Savile Row, founded by English dressmaker Sir Edwin Hardy Amies (17 July 1909 - 5 March 2003) in 1946.

It's remarkable that he still makes stuff after being dead so long.

That's talent.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's talent.

Yes, I found that to be remarkable as well! I am put in my place. Producing mediocrity and I am still living.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Eric Glennie still takes some customers if you are in the know. Carlo Franco is often mentioned as the tailor's tailor but he is difficult to reach.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not so full of hubris to expect the best; it is enough for me, simply, to have something better than what the OP could ever have.
To have (me) and to have not (him.)

i thought you were made of hubris.

corbera

45% vicuna
18% cashmere
7% snark
12% black dot
11% hubris
21% youtube

i think the math adds up

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's talent.

It's not even the same Hardy Amies company is it? I thought some Hong Kong firm bought the brand after they collapsed in 2008.

Last edited:

dirkweems

Reaction score
I'd be interested to see some of these bespoke suits when they are done. After all, SF has more than risen to the occasion with embers geniuniely volunteering their opinions, their tailors or even their own services. While it would be impossible for all members to agree on one tailor, the OP now has several places to start his/her bespoke journey. Who here wants an update with photos from the first fitting, in say 3 months?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i thought you were made of hubris.
corbera
45% vicuna
18% cashmere
7% snark
12% black dot
11% hubris
21% youtube
i think the math adds up

Snark percentage seems low.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads