• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the jokes about Foo make me uncomfortable because they don't have the same feeling of conviviality. But I have no idea. I don't know Foo that well -- or, really, at all -- and I make jokes about him all the time. I'd like to think that they're received in good spirit. The few times he sharply replied to me over the years, I tried to express that my jokes were coming from a good place. So perhaps my jokes also seem negative. For me, Foo jokes are only funny if they seem good-natured.

Anyway. Probably way off-topic, but when I first discovered StyleForum over ten years ago, I thought there was a wealth of knowledge here and a certain conviviality between many of the members. I came after the Golden Age of StyleForum, but some of that dynamic seems gone (although, I think SWD still has a great community).

I once mentioned this to some older members who have long left the forum. I think one of them mentioned that he hated a few people from that era, so perhaps there were the same bitter rivalries.

Welcome to part of the show where DWW publicly executes @venessian for crimes that he will later commit himself. Concededly, V is a weird guy, but DWW is only a few thousand feet behind him (given how weird V is, this still makes DWW still very, very weird).

This very same incident happened in the glorious teapot derailment in the cool furniture threak, and will come to pass here if V does not change his ways.

First, DWW feigns disgust when V goes off the rails:

[Venessian], Your posts come off intensely angry. I mean, I'm all for making Foo jokes. It's the reason why I find Foo discussions to be fun. But they have to be in good humor. Your posts read like Foo had sex with your wife or something. It's just a thread man.

Then DWW will imply something heinous about Foo, after having professed he bears the man no malice by castigating V:

I genuinely didn't mean that you would call the cops on someone for being black or whatever, just that you ascribe to a certain view of the world that probably makes you more likely to call the cops on homeless people, street artists, and people who do drugs. You know, like the Basquait guy that you so valorize.

@venessian -- If you don't embrace your love of Foo, DWW will once more write something heinous in your blood. You will take the fall. A shame given that you are the one poaster who perhaps has more of the Light of Foo inside you than I do. If I am John the Baptist, then you are Saul, and ineluctably, that S of yours will turn into a P.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So perhaps my jokes also seem negative. For me, Foo jokes are only funny if they seem good-natured.

That’s the thing, my convivial jab can be taken as a nasty barb by the recipient. Foo has very thick skin and I doubt he cares about the negative comments.

This reminds me of when I first went live with my site. Someone immediately sent me an email “I’ll never buy anything from you because you made fun of me on styleforum”.

I don’t think I ever said anything from bad place to anyone but obviously not all my jokes were taken well. Maybe it was GQGeek, but it’s hard not to make fund of the man, given his stories of being ripped off for $800 for an IPhone from some fly by night booth (when they first came out and were like $500) or his romancing of a girl over multiple dinners only for her to have a live in boyfriend. Good times. RJMan, I know you are chuckling.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt most members here have the wherewithal for bitter rivalries.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t think I ever said anything from bad place to anyone but obviously not all my jokes were taken well. Maybe it was GQGeek, but it’s hard not to make fund of the man, given his stories of being ripped off for $800 for an IPhone from some fly by night booth (when they first came out and were like $500) or his romancing of a girl over multiple dinners only for her to have a live in boyfriend. Good times. RJMan, I know you are chuckling.
his proud basement pad... his supermarket Brie... his sausage stuffer... his proud adoption of that nasty orangina furry ad...

now I’m crying laughing at what I’m certain was your made up anonymous styleforum confession that was designed to sound like him about gym showers.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That’s the thing, my convivial jab can be taken as a nasty barb by the recipient. Foo has very thick skin and I doubt he cares about the negative comments.

This reminds me of when I first went live with my site. Someone immediately sent me an email “I’ll never buy anything from you because you made fun of me on styleforum”.

This is very true. I think one of the things that makes Foo fun on this forum is that he seems to roll with the jokes.

But very true about the other parts, and sometimes my jokes in real life have been taken in ways I didn't intend.

Anyway, I enjoyed your humor over the years.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the jokes about Foo make me uncomfortable because they don't have the same feeling of conviviality. But I have no idea. I don't know Foo that well -- or, really, at all -- and I make jokes about him all the time. I'd like to think that they're received in good spirit. The few times he sharply replied to me over the years, I tried to express that my jokes were coming from a good place. So perhaps my jokes also seem negative. For me, Foo jokes are only funny if they seem good-natured.

Anyway. Probably way off-topic, but when I first discovered StyleForum over ten years ago, I thought there was a wealth of knowledge here and a certain conviviality between many of the members. I came after the Golden Age of StyleForum, but some of that dynamic seems gone (although, I think SWD still has a great community).

I once mentioned this to some older members who have long left the forum. I think one of them mentioned that he hated a few people from that era, so perhaps there were the same bitter rivalries.

Foo is cool because he has extremely well considered and refined tastes. I can see why people get into arguments with him because he does come off as abrasive and absolutist in his opinions. Fact of the matter is though, he’s almost always right.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics