• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Shoe - Measuring Advice

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShaneB
Well, possibly. The fact of the matter is that this particular cobbler generates a lot of his business via parties who more often than not never even see him face-to-face. I understand what you're saying though.
The fact of the matter is that cobblers are not makers. What do they know about fitting feet or making shoes?

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
The fact of the matter is that cobblers are not makers. What do they know about fitting feet or making shoes?

Cobblers / makers I thought the term was interchangeable. Ahhh well, semantics, as they say!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cobblers / makers I thought the term was interchangeable. Ahhh well, semantics, as they say!
Not since the 14th century, at least. Cobblers are repairmen. Just as tinkers are repairmen. A maker is a shoemaker or a cordwainer.

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Not since the 14th century, at least. Cobblers are repairmen. Just as tinkers are repairmen.

A maker is a shoemaker or a cordwainer.

Noted.

LanceW

Reaction score
There is a reason bespoke shoes include fittings. Even if the cordwainer did the measurements himself, I do not understand how he could guess how you prefer your shoes to fit. Even bespoke lasts have adjustments made.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgd3
My recommendation would be to look for a local Pedorthic/Comfort shop, go there and explain to the proprietor that you would like to have your feet measured for some bespoke dress shoes.

At the same time I would recommend that you purchase something from him in exchange.

Your local C.Ped could do everything from measuring, tracing, taking ink patterns, or casts that you could send along to your shoe maker.

That's a great idea!

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
There is a reason bespoke shoes include fittings. Even if the cordwainer did the measurements himself, I do not understand how he could guess how you prefer your shoes to fit. Even bespoke lasts have adjustments made.

I take your point.

To be honest I think it can be done, and evidently it has been done in the past because there are many testimonials. However, Concordia's idea definitely seems to be the best: I can fly from Heathrow to Warsaw for £80-£100 (!) so I might as well just fly there, mozey about and take in the sights, pay Kielman a visit, and fly back. I suppose he'd then have my foot measurements on 'file' and could make any further shoes for me from that. Absolute bargain!

It's just extraordinary how much cheaper these guys can make shoes when compared to others in, say, England; living in England, you seem to forget that Europe proper is only a hop skip and jump away...

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shane...have you thought about commissioning a bespoke last through Springline in Northampton?

Send the last to the maker...pay him for a sample shoe. Wear it and then go back to Springline to see what issues come up...have them maker further adjustments to the last...then send it back your shoe maker?

The beauty of Springline is that they measure you and they make the last.

I did this with Clifford Roberts...using Springline. Although Clifford measured me and personally hand delivered the paperwork to Springline...he measured me the way the last maker in Springline does

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Shane...have you thought about commissioning a bespoke last through Springline in Northampton?

Send the last to the maker...pay him for a sample shoe. Wear it and then go back to Springline to see what issues come up...have them maker further adjustments to the last...then send it back your shoe maker?

I did this with Clifford Roberts...using Springline. Although Clifford measured me and personally hand delivered the paperwork to Springline...he measured me the way the last maker in Springline does

these does only make sense, if he wants to go through cliff. btw, isn't a springline last in the 250ies pound. janne melkersson told me, they charge 225 for lasted trees.

why should kielman use a springline last? just saying. taking the trip is a nice adventure.

ShaneB

Reaction score

That sounds very interesting, infact, I suppose that's pretty much as good as actually going to the maker himself.

May I ask how much it cost you for the bespoke last?

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
these does only make sense, if he wants to go through cliff. btw, isn't a springline last in the 250ies pound. janne melkersson told me, they charge 225 for lasted trees.

why should kielman use a springline last? just saying. taking the trip is a nice adventure.

Ahhhh, if they cost that much then there's not much point. Might as well fly to Warsaw!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
haha, yes I gather that! What I meant was in what way did he take his foot measurements? DIY job or did go a get it down professionally?

iirc, he did it diy after he talked to kielman and he sent a pair of his shoes with the measurements. i can ask.

i support the idea of travelling to warsaw. kielman seems the most experienced operation for this kind of project.

i talked to several makers in vienna. they didn't like the idea for some reason.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds very interesting, infact, I suppose that's pretty much as good as actually going to the maker himself.

May I ask how much it cost you for the bespoke last?

I forgot the actual amount for the bespoke last...around 225-250 pounds

The lasted shoe trees come in two piece and three piece...about 78-87 pounds

The sample shoe was 30 pounds plus shipping to the U.S.

As Fritzl stated...fly to Warsaw...but you will need to invest in a second return trip for a fitting to ensure the last made in Poland creates a good fitting shoe.

If you are unwilling to visit Warsaw...at all...the Springline route is a fine alternative

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The lasted shoe trees come in two piece and three piece...about 78-87 pounds

not to derail. janne, said, they charged him 225 for lasted trees. anyway. iirc, the price you stated is valid, when you already have a last made by them. if they go from the scratch, it's like making an individual last.

If you are unwilling to visit Warsaw...at all...the Springline route is a fine alternative

imo, not for a beginner. don't forget, you have already walked your miles in this field. it's not like buying a jockey classic brief - 3 pack in your size.

dan'l

Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if Jan Kielman makes tours outside of Poland, at least within Central Europe? Or is it considered uncommon for cordwainers to do this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads