• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Polo Coat - Are the shoulders too wide? [pix]

Solari

Reaction score
Hi all,

I received this polo coat from B&Tailor a few months ago. It's generally very nice but am very concerned that the shoulders are too wide for me. Even when I wear a sports jacket under the coat, the shoulders dip at the end of the coat and I'm unsure if this is bad fitting?

When I received the coat at delivery I mentioned this but the tailor said that it's totally fine and suggested that I was wrong for thinking it's too big.

The general fit and all the rest of the coat are fine, but the shoulders make the coat look like it's a bit big for me, especially as I'm 5'6.

Would love to get experienced opinions and advice!

NB: In these photos I am wearing a vest, a thin wool jumper, a sports jacket and the polo coat.

1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks OK, although having received it "a few months ago", it would seem to be too late to send it back.

The House appears to be dividing on this and so I suspect that it is fine!

dfoverdx

Reaction score
There's no science behind the shoulder length. Some tailors prefer to stop it naturally where your shoulder stops, some tailors let it to go slightly extended. This will impact the way you feel the coat but again there's nothing wrong in either way.
It's hard to judge from pics. I don't know if the coat is done in order to be worn with a suit but if it's the case try it with a jacket and then ask yourself if you are comfortable in it. If yes then no worry.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be altered. But only by an expert tailor.
Mine could do it, but he is in the Bay Area.

Solari

Reaction score
There's no science behind the shoulder length. Some tailors prefer to stop it naturally where your shoulder stops, some tailors let it to go slightly extended. This will impact the way you feel the coat but again there's nothing wrong in either way.
It's hard to judge from pics. I don't know if the coat is done in order to be worn with a suit but if it's the case try it with a jacket and then ask yourself if you are comfortable in it. If yes then no worry.
I'm already wearing it with a jacket in these photos!

Solari

Reaction score
Looks OK, although having received it "a few months ago", it would seem to be too late to send it back.

The House appears to be dividing on this and so I suspect that it is fine!

Well...the tailor comes to London every couple of months. Not sure it matters if it's been a few months, especially as I mentioned it at delivery?

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
While their house style seems to feature a slightly extended shoulder, based on your photos I would say your coat is still too wide across the shoulders. Too much - perhaps even by 2cm each side if you're already wearing a jacket underneath.

Is the chest fuller than you prefer as well?

Solari

Reaction score
While their house style seems to feature a slightly extended shoulder, based on your photos I would say your coat is still too wide across the shoulders. Too much - perhaps even by 2cm each side if you're already wearing a jacket underneath.

Is the chest fuller than you prefer as well?

The chest feels fine tbh - it's just the width on the shoulders.

Agreed that their house style is a slightly extended shoulder, but it's been taken too far in this case.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Would they be willing to alter for you? Shouldn't be too difficult for them to take in the shoulders if that's what you want.

Solari

Reaction score
Would they be willing to alter for you? Shouldn't be too difficult for them to take in the shoulders if that's what you want.

I haven't asked yet but I think they would do it - reluctantly I guess. I initially just want to establish confidence that it is too wide. I am getting there. What do you reckon?

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I haven't asked yet but I think they would do it - reluctantly I guess. I initially just want to establish confidence that it is too wide. I am getting there. What do you reckon?

I personally feel it looks too wide, but I also recognise the angle from which most of the photos were taken may be taken from a slightly higher angle to further exaggerate the wideness of the shoulders. Regardless, from all of your photos the coat appears to drop off your natural shoulders by 1-2cm imo. What size do you normally take? 36? Otherwise it's a very beautiful coat - the fabric looks to be quite heavy? 600 grams? And that lapel hole :inlove:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads