• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berghoff Cafe at O'Hare

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best "fast food" corned beef sandwich I've ever had. Their dark ale was not bad. Isn't the original restaurant closed now?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
They really named an airport coffee shop after Hitler's hideaway?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Best "fast food" corned beef sandwich I've ever had. Their dark ale was not bad. Isn't the original restaurant closed now?

Not closed. I had beer and sausages there with kwilk and globe a couple months ago

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Not closed. I had beer and sausages there with kwilk and globe a couple months ago
The original restaurant did close. A couple of month's after it closed, the basement cafe reopened for weekday lunches. I'm guessing this is where you ate. The bar later reopened with a new name. The original Berghoff is no longer operating, though. It was an institution that I'm glad I got to enjoy a few times.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
The original restaurant did close. A couple of month's after it closed, the basement cafe reopened for weekday lunches. I'm guessing this is where you ate. The bar later reopened with a new name. The original Berghoff is no longer operating, though. It was an institution that I'm glad I got to enjoy a few times.

I don't know the whole history of the place but the whole place was open when we went and it was in the evening.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I was incorrect to some extent. The restaurant appears to have close and reopened, albeit with a slightly different ownership and in a slightly revised format. I'm sure someone from Chicago knows the whole story.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it closed and opened, apperently it was some type of legal trick to end some long term employment contracts.

I like the place, not that often, but it I am in the mood for german food, it is spot on.

talking of airport food - I really like San Fran, and Miami.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The original Berghoff is quite dead. The bar had no stools or seats in it the first hundred years it was open, and they did not serve women until 1969. It was a classic American watering hole. They had liquor license number 1, their own beer and their own bourbon, and the latter went up to 120 proof. The average length of employment behind that bar was multiple decades. That thing that is there now is in no way the Berghoff.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
They really named an airport coffee shop after Hitler's hideaway?

Hitler's place was the Berghof, and the Chicago establishment opened in the 1890s and uses the family name Berghoff.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main restaurant area closed a couple of years ago when the daughter took over. She was going to use the space exclusively for private events, keeping both the bar area (serving carvery sandwiches) and the downstairs delicatessen open. However, more recently, they re opened the main restaurant - I assume that the banquet business didn't take off.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manny's in Midway is even better.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Manny's in Midway is even better.

And Manny's Coffee Shop on South Jefferson is better still. Try the "Presidential Special" - corned beef on rye with a slice of cherry pie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads