• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Before you open-up that suit . . .

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Very true and this whole discussion has been a public service to the members. Although the news has not been kind to us Kiton fans, better to know the truth and improve our BS-filtering devices.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

JamesT

Reaction score
Who cares what is inside? If you like the suit and you feel that it is worth the price, why should it matter if 9 out of every 10 stitches is machine sewn? If one isn't able to have enough faith to trust their tailor or salesman's word regarding the construction, perhaps they should buy their suits somewhere else.

I just find this whole idea of ripping apart perfectly good suits just to see what is inside (I also wonder how many people on the forum actually know the reason behind most of the stitches inside the coat), to be completely absurd. If you don't want your clothing, instead of ripping it apart, I'm sure someone here would be happy to take it off your hands...

oldseed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
If you don't want your clothing, instead of ripping it apart, I'm sure someone here would be happy to take it off your hands...

or do whatever u want with it, like cut it up. OH YEAH

worship.gif

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
There are reason to care in the general knowledge sense that are very valid to some of us.

if you filter through the BS (sales) and noise (here in some posts) there is some really good stuff gong on at the moment.

Who cares what is inside? If you like the suit and you feel that it is worth the price, why should it matter if 9 out of every 10 stitches is machine sewn? If one isn't able to have enough faith to trust their tailor or salesman's word regarding the construction, perhaps they should buy their suits somewhere else.

I just find this whole idea of ripping apart perfectly good suits just to see what is inside (I also wonder how many people on the forum actually know the reason behind most of the stitches inside the coat), to be completely absurd. If you don't want your clothing, instead of ripping it apart, I'm sure someone here would be happy to take it off your hands...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares what is inside? If you like the suit and you feel that it is worth the price, why should it matter if 9 out of every 10 stitches is machine sewn?

we arent forcing you to care. threads like this are for people who do care and are interested in how it is made.

it's like coming into a discussion about brown vs black shoes and saying "who cares, just wear it!" does this really need further explanation???
frown.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not defending Oxxford's 'ungentlemanly' behavior, but one might understand their frustration at having competitors' garments widely believed to be, and promoted as being, handsewn when Oxxford knows the reality doesn't live up to the hype.
I can understand that feeling. It must be something like at the Louis Artisan Collective when I was forced to hear the Bontoni guys talking about their 'handmade shoes' for a couple of days (they were at the adjoining table.) It took much restraint to keep my mouth shut.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the man makes a point.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I just find this whole idea of ripping apart perfectly good suits

I can't speak for everyone, but in my case I did not cut open a perfectly good suit. It was an extremely well made suit, I will give it that. But it did not fit, and I don't think it would or could have fit anyone.

NOLA1

Reaction score
next person that decides to cut open a suit in a 42L feel free to email me first

m_wave

Reaction score
I'm going to pull the world povery card on this one!

I find it incredibly self indulgent that some of you can justify cutting up any wearable article of clothing for little more than idle curiosity on the most part. It's an utter wank.

I give all my clothes to either friends, charities so to ruin an article of clothing, particularly one that was made with such care to me is pretty disgusting.

Re-enforces my opinion that many of you have far too little taste and far too much money.

/end rant

edit: 38R here please :p

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
Re-enforces my opinion that many of you have far too little taste and far too much money.

What the hell does taste have anything to do with what's going on here? If anything, SF members suffer from too much taste and overindulgence on clothing quality.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
I think you have missed the entire point of this mission. Perhaps if you consider it along the lines of pouring out two ounces of milk to see if the rest of the jug has gone bad. I have given more to the poor than most could ever think of, you can not try and shame me into thinking that learning the ins and outs of this trade which consumes thousands and thousands of our dollars annually and is benefiting hundreds of forum members is not being well served by cutting a few items. the long term collective gain is too high, if you are open enough to digest it and learn.
Originally Posted by m_wave
I'm going to pull the world povery card on this one! I find it incredibly self indulgent that some of you can justify cutting up any wearable article of clothing for little more than idle curiosity on the most part. It's an utter wank. I give all my clothes to either friends, charities so to ruin an article of clothing, particularly one that was made with such care to me is pretty disgusting. Re-enforces my opinion that many of you have far too little taste and far too much money. /end rant edit: 38R here please :p

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
So who will be the first to deconstruct a signature Eric Glennie collar?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

"first to deconstruct"? In this case, I'd call it "devirginizing"!
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics