• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thelonius

Reaction score
Completely agree.

As for Indian sourced leather and all that, I happen to know that's complete BS. They only have one line of shoes 'Barkers international' made in India. Everything else including barker black is made in their earls barton uk factory and the leathers are not indian.

The confusion arises from assumptions.

1) Barker is indian owned a bit like jaguar & range rover cars.
2) Some other Northampton makers like Grenson do outsource work to India for some of their lines.

Please enlighten us on how you "happen to know", it would be interesting to have some facts. Otherwise, all I have to rely on is my personal observations about poor quality leather (never seen anything like it in other Npton shoes), plus two bad experiences with sole structure. Why should they make shoes in India with European hides - come off it!

As far as confusion is concerned, there is none as far as I can see. Grenson do indeed make most of their shoes far from Nortahmptonshire, most possibly in India, and are equally poor quality, except for the G zero range made in Northamptonshire. As for Jaguar cars, you always need two, because one will always be at the garage.

Stirling

Reaction score

Please enlighten us on how you "happen to know", it would be interesting to have some facts. Otherwise, all I have to rely on is my personal observations about poor quality leather (never seen anything like it in other Npton shoes), plus two bad experiences with sole structure. Why should they make shoes in India with European hides - come off it!

As far as confusion is concerned, there is none as far as I can see. Grenson do indeed make most of their shoes far from Nortahmptonshire, most possibly in India, and are equally poor quality, except for the G zero range made in Northamptonshire. As for Jaguar cars, you always need two, because one will always be at the garage.

Enlightenment: I know and have known people who work at earls barton for many years.

Confusion: where did I say they make shoes in India with European hides? I said one line, the international line is made in India. You managed to assume/confuse/make up the rest. I call that bs.

Happy.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up these interesting Barkers at a good price. Thought they would make for interesting Spring/Summer shoes

Meurice

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Excellent shoes, indeed. In summer you can even wear them with black tie, as long as the actual bow tie matches the eggshell part of the shoes. Good day, Sir!

Stemo79

Reaction score
Enlightenment: I know and have known people who work at earls barton for many years.

Confusion: where did I say they make shoes in India with European hides? I said one line, the international line is made in India. You managed to assume/confuse/make up the rest. I call that bs.

Happy.
You are entirely correct Stirling apart from youre confusing the international range with the professional range. The range used to be known as the international handcrafted but it is just known as handcrafted now, these are made start to finish in Earls Barton and are at the top end of their lines along with the anniversary collection. These two ranges I would say exceed the Loake 1880's but the price point is higher so I would expect that anyway.

To my knowledge there are very few Barker styles that are entirely outsourced, the few that are, I believe are moccassins that are made in Italy.

Barker footwear is exceptional quality for the price point but of course like any shoes you have to evaluate and be realistic in your expectations. In the same way that a Loake L1 is no where near the quality of a Loake 1880, a Barker Professional shoe is not going to be anything like a pair from the Anniversary.

I have in my collection 2 x Grants (1 cedar, 1 blue), 1 x Jackson (cedar/blue tweed), 1 x Butcher (Cedar), 1x Edwards (Denim suede) 1 x Jarratt (Blue suede)

Currently eyeing a pair of McCleans but I cant decide whether I want the Burgundy suede, Blue suede or the Paisley etch. Being an owner of a few pair of 1880s for business wear I can certainly attest to the fact that the Barker Creative range is on par with Loake 1880.

spluto

Reaction score
Mozart
But duno why not in concealed sole stitching...

spluto

Reaction score
I feel a little bit large, I have baker Bourne slip on at uk7 fit well, so I order 0.5 size up for oxford, but find little but large if wear thin dress sock

Carl1955

Reaction score
Hi

Just ordered my first pair of Barkers, my last two pairs have been loake1880 Burford boots in Black and a pair of Grenson Archie brogues in Burgundy.

Kind of expecting similar quality

Nice design ( I think!! ) and got them at a very good price

Really getting into this shoe thing, I can see my bank balance will start to erode as my quality racks up

Cheers

Carl

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Just ordered my first pair of Barkers, my last two pairs have been loake1880 Burford boots in Black and a pair of Grenson Archie brogues in Burgundy. Kind of expecting similar quality Nice design ( I think!! ) and got them at a very good price Really getting into this shoe thing, I can see my bank balance will start to erode as my quality racks up Cheers Carl
Lovely good for spring & summer bud.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads