• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score

lol, you wear those things and call Tyrwhitt shirts poor.

talk about cognitive dissonance.

^^ a high quality all leather through sole and heal by my cobbler will sort out the defect in the Barkers: no such luck with a Tyrwhitt shirt ;)

You could rightly criticise my taste in socks.

katastrofa

Reaction score
Here's my Barker's Flex, with charcoal Armani pearl windowpane pants and Burlington socks.

Point is the shiny front and rear 'caps' and the connecting matt soft leather minimising creasing. They are a perfect fit and its not a bad concept in shoe design.

Is it just me, or do this shoes look a little big on your feet?

TomTom

Reaction score
In my humble oppinnion I always had good experiences with Barker shoes. The quality actually went up in the last couple of years (for standard models) but as a rule I stay away from fashion forward lines like Barkeflex so I can't comment on their quality...

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
I've a pair of Barkers which are also very well made indeed.

However, I've just had a pair of black Oxfords returned from the cobblers (Barkers) with the same problem, compressed cardboard in the heal. Both pairs are less than 6 months old, likely a very recent development.

A through sole and heal, with high quality German leather is £70 - 75 + £170 for the shoes = ~£250 per pair. Value?

Here's Flex with (slightly) more acceptable socks (Thomas Pink):

Here's the straight Oxfords for comparison:

Last edited:

kasakka

Reaction score
I have a pair. I had to get them resoled when I walked a hole in them (granted they had pretty hard environment - Japan during rainy season) but have been fine since. They fit me really well and I like the styling.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I posted a pic in the WAYWRN thread today, I might as well throw the same picture in here

These are the Barker Lincoln I talked about earlier in the thread. They are from the "Hand-grade" collection and as I said, cost about £220 when i bought them three years ago. They have held up well, the leather is perhaps not top notch, but definitely not corrected grain either. They take a shine spectacularly on the toe cap, but the vamp is rather creased (that's where the leather quality is most obvious, probably also because the are a little wide for me). Soles and heels have held up well, no re-soling yet despite rather frequent wear. Quality is on par with what I paid and I would recommend the shoes as a good entry level shoe for someone new to bench made shoes.

Last edited:

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
I have just been to Churches Reagents Street London and can now answer the question about the compressed cardboard heels: The sales rep said "TAKE THEM BACK!"

Top range Churches cost £365 and come in a variety of widths (which I need) AND for £90 you get a COMPLETE genuine Churches through sole and heel, stitched welt, precisely as an original shoe! Part of the inner support in Churches is metal and no wood.

For the vast difference in quality the difference in price is minor.

Last edited:

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
Here's the classic Oxfords, after a fair amount of wear. The construction is disappointing but the uppers seem okay and they certainly hold their shine.

[DuChamp 'Butterfly Plains' socks (I have garish taste) and Ralph Lauren BL chalk stripe flannel suit.]

Last edited:

thelonius

Reaction score
Anyone who has the chance to go to the Barker factory shop in Earls Barton will have their eyes opened as to the quality of the Indian-sourced leather that is used for a lot of the shoes. The "seconds" choice is very large, most of the faults being helpfully pointed out by marks made by the staff. Full of insect holes ! Shame, it used to be such a reliable name. I wouldn't bother looking at them anymore, after having had problems with the soles of two pairs bought over the last 4 years. Barker Black seem very good.

appoooh

Reaction score
I've owned two pairs of Barker shoes in the handgrade range, and quality wise, they are superior to Loake and compare very well to C&J benchgrade. They are a mass market brand, they try to please everyone but there is no question that they make the best value for money goodyear welted shoes in the UK.

Try them on before you buy though, their sizing is all over the shop and they (literally) have 100's of lasts.

Stirling

Reaction score

I've owned two pairs of Barker shoes in the handgrade range, and quality wise, they are superior to Loake and compare very well to C&J

Completely agree.

As for Indian sourced leather and all that, I happen to know that's complete BS. They only have one line of shoes 'Barkers international' made in India. Everything else including barker black is made in their earls barton uk factory and the leathers are not indian.

The confusion arises from assumptions.

1) Barker is indian owned a bit like jaguar & range rover cars.
2) Some other Northampton makers like Grenson do outsource work to India for some of their lines.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked Herring shoes about this and they confirmed most Barker shoes have the uppers clipped in India, albeit from European hides.

I also asked Barker direct about this and they were eerily silent.

You can believe what you want to believe but I don't see any reason why Herrings would lie and they probably know a bit more about it than you or I.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads