• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders spring/summer 2007

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
As far as I can tell, there are two basic cuts in BoO.

The button down collar shirts are usually much slimmer, as much as 3-4" in the chest than the non-button down collar shirts. I wear XL or XXL in the former, and L in the latter, for reference.

For clarification -

I believe the difference in fit is also related to the presence or absence of the box pleat on the shirt. If present, it's slim; if absent, it's regular.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Band of Outsiders shirt. It's not an oxford and is made of a pretty fine material, so I'll assume it is a dress shirt. Also, there is no "slim fit" indicator anywhere. That said, while it is a nice shirt, I feel like the fabric, buttons and construction of my Seize sur Vingt shirt is nicer. Especially around the button area, something abuot the BoO feels thin. But I like the patterns a lot, so I'm going to look for more from both labels.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
For clarification -

I believe the difference in fit is also related to the presence or absence of the box pleat on the shirt. If present, it's slim; if absent, it's regular.

that's correct. the box pleated shirt is cut much slimmer. Now if they'd add a 3rd neck button on their OCBDs it'd be the perfect shirt

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onesidekojax
Get Smart, you wear a sz M in the a-body shirts"”what size did you try on with the twill blazer? I'm considering buying it.

I'm a sz S and tried on the a sz 1 suit in January. It looked great, but a little too Thom Brown-ish (meh) and very restrictive. I opted instead to buy the donagal tweed blazer in a sz 2 which fits really well on me without being too shrunken and boyish, although I've yet to take it in to get it altered. I'm also thinking in the long term; when I get older and fatter it'll fit me even better.

my BoO fitted shirts are a Med....I tried on a size 2 jacket and it fit fine albeit on the tight "Thom Browne" side like you mentioned....a size 3 fit more normal, altho I could wear either depending on how I wanted it to fit. The thing that struck me the most is how skinny the sleeve opening is....on a size 2 I could probably just get away with wearing a long sleeve barrel cuff shirt....I doubt a french cuff shirt could work with those jackets. But then their style lends itself to a barrelcuff buttondown anyways, not a more formal FC.

onesidekojax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
For clarification -

yes, that and the pair of darts (or arrowettes?) that flank the box pleat on the back.

maybe as far as last year they referred to the the slim fits as "a-body" and the fuller fits "b-body." not sure if this categorization is still in effect, but you'll notice that the product codes for the slim fits have the letter "a" in them ("sa" last fall an simply "a" right now) and the fuller cuts something else ("sg" last fall and "f" this season).

Borky

Reaction score
Can someone offer some sizing advice for BOO shirts? I'm 6'1", 160lbs, and have a 37" chest. I'm not sure of my shoulders, but I know they're on the broad side. What would be appropriate?

onesidekojax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
my BoO fitted shirts are a Med....I tried on a size 2 jacket and it fit fine albeit on the tight "Thom Browne" side like you mentioned....a size 3 fit more normal, altho I could wear either depending on how I wanted it to fit. The thing that struck me the most is how skinny the sleeve opening is....on a size 2 I could probably just get away with wearing a long sleeve barrel cuff shirt....I doubt a french cuff shirt could work with those jackets. But then their style lends itself to a barrelcuff buttondown anyways, not a more formal FC.

that's exactly what i was thinking"”thanks for the verification. i really believe in this brand (it's all i really wear from the waist up) so i like the idea of the clothes growing old with me and being able to wear them then"”it truly is a timeless look. but if i'm going to spend $1500 (PLUS TAX!) on a blazer, it had better damn well fit me many years from now. (i'm 22 and i hear that the body stops growing at around 24.) if that means sizing up with the blazer for comfort (which still looks and fits magnificently) then so be it.

on another note, i've noticed that some suits and blazers are avail in a sz 0. i really can't imagine who would be able to pull that off aside from a 12 year old.

Coulomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borky
Can someone offer some sizing advice for BOO shirts? I'm 6'1", 160lbs, and have a 37" chest. I'm not sure of my shoulders, but I know they're on the broad side. What would be appropriate?

I think it depends on the cut. All of the BoO I own are Large because all of the cuts are slim.

I'm 5'10, 150lbs, and my chest is 39ish. The tightest parts of the shirt for me are in the arms.

Coulomb

Reaction score
what's your arm size?

i think anyone with arm measurement of 15.5in or greater taken at the bicep will have a very difficult time fitting in any of their box-pleated shirts sized less than Large.

DanTheLadiesMan

Reaction score
Just picked up a solid light blue L/S BoO shirt from fortyfive ten for $120.00 shipped. I think they said they had 1 L/S shirt in a medium left and possible some other styles and sizes left. I'd give them a call if your interested in picking up some BoO shirts at a great price.
smile.gif

atroopan

Reaction score
I ordered the large size and am cutting weight right now, so I should be okay - will post a fit when they arrive.

troop

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads