• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic Suit

Marbles29

Reaction score
I've been drooling over this suit for several weeks:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=664116

However, I'm not willing to pay the price tag, or nab it moderately reduced. It becomes quite expensive in proportion to its construction, when all 3-pieces are purchased. Do you feel I should take advantage of some 25-30 percent off sale or cross my fingers it'll hang around for the big sale?

Twisty

Reaction score
Hope it looks better on you than on that model.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
I'd wait for a big sale, they almost always have a sale going and their clearance sections get huge in some brick and mortar stores. At the same time, their Heritage line isn't as common to see in these clearance sections so it's definitely a personal judgment call...but my vote is wait and see.

JCachot

Reaction score
$375.00 is too much money? Why not go to Wall Mart or Sears ? If you want a quality suit it costs money to produce. The cost of this Banana Republic one is on the very low end of what a quality suit needs to cost.

glowell222

Reaction score
I doubt the model is overweight. Those pics show you exactly how not to buy a suit. Make sure you buy one that fits you correctly.

cnh121

Reaction score
$375.00 is too much money? Why not go to Wall Mart or Sears ? If you want a quality suit it costs money to produce. The cost of this Banana Republic one is on the very low end of what a quality suit needs to cost.
Most Banana Republic suits are not a "quality suit". And cost is not a very good way of judging quality.

BR suits go for $200 on sale.

But if you want to pay more for it because you feel like it cost BR so much money to produce the suit...go for it.

Marbles29

Reaction score
I realize this...I own a few things from BR: a coat, linen shirt and shorts - and the quality is subpar. This suit, however, if cut right is attractive looking in person - more so than any Macy's suit I've seen.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since when has anything decent come from any banana republic let alone Banana Republic?

Avoid.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd avoid...

Marbles29

Reaction score
Well I have known along this is not my dream suit...I just like the look when properly tailored. Make no bones about it, I don't confound BR and Oxxford. I'm hoping it'll become cheap on sale, but right now it's tremendously overpriced for the three-pieces.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense...but am I the only one who really, really hates this suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads