• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Awkward Denim Moment

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 days ago I was sitting by a girl in class whom I'm sure was wearing was wearing some raw denim. Thinking that she would have a likewise interest in denim because of this, I casually commented on her jeans and asked her if they were raw. Well, she didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and got sort of flustered by it. It was like she couldn't tell if I was approving or dissaproving of her clothes. After that she left pretty quickly.
confused.gif

Anyway, I'll be seeing her again tomorrow and want to apologize for making her uncomfortable and I also want to explain why I was interested in her jeans. The problem is that I'll probably seem like a total nut job if I start talking about why I like raw denim, etc.

How should I approach this...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
2 days ago I was sitting by a girl in class whom I'm sure was wearing was wearing some raw denim. Thinking that she would have a likewise interest in denim because of this, I casually commented on her jeans and asked her if they were raw. Well, she didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and got sort of flustered by it. It was like she couldn't tell if I was approving or dissaproving of her clothes. After that she left pretty quickly.
confused.gif

Anyway, I'll be seeing her again tomorrow and want to apologize for making her uncomfortable and I also want to explain why I was interested in her jeans. The problem is that I'll probably seem like a total nut job if I start talking about why I like raw denim, etc.

How should I approach this...

Heh, maybe a better approach should have been some sort of complimentary statement first, followed by more probing questions...

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hindsight is 20-20, I'm in damage control now...

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
umm... apologise about making her uncomfortable and then tell her youd love to take her out and explain your initial question over some drinks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
umm... apologise about making her uncomfortable and then tell her youd love to take her out and explain your initial question over some drinks.

You got your answer. Not go do it
smile.gif

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You got your answer. Not go do it
smile.gif

Yes, the simplicity of it is perfect. I was trying to think of how I could explain raw denim in as few words as possible, but realized that would probably just confuse her even more.

Thanks for the advice cheap

ninjapie

Reaction score
A lot of girls around here are prancing around in raw denim, totally unaware of what it means. Brands like Dr. Denim are pretty popular nowadays. I'm not sure whether they're raw/one-wash etc, but they are selvage according to their site.
Perhaps I should investigate.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
she probably sucks
teacha.gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Similarly, I was at the market today and noticed one of the produce stockers wearing jeans with Nudie stitching although the brand was called "Yes!" right when he turned around and caught me looking at him.

My question: How do I approach my produce stocker about checking out his jeans and not his ass?

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I've been in several similar situations. It's very awkward trying to check out a dude's jeans without making it appear you're looking at something else. On a similar note, it's difficult to make it appear your checking out girl's jeans when you are really checking out their ass.

King Salmon

Reaction score
You need more self-confidence. There's no need to be ashamed of lecherous ogling.

nastyandy

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but if you're interested in her, I would definitely not apologize; I think that just makes you look weak, and may bring back the 'awkwardness' of what happened.

She may not have understood WTF you were talking about, but every guy ***** up on his intentions to start a conversation from time to time, and the best thing to do when something like this happens is to make a joke out of it, or move past it and change the subject.

Maybe tomorrow, smile and ask her if her shirt is raw if you can pull off being silly in a friendly way that won't make her think you are being weird. Otherwise, just compliment her and be friendly, and smile. If you're confident and you an somehow make her laugh, it doesn't matter what the hell you say to her. Chicks like confidence and guys who can make them smile and laugh more than anything else.

progressiveminded

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Similarly, I was at the market today and noticed one of the produce stockers wearing jeans with Nudie stitching although the brand was called "Yes!" right when he turned around and caught me looking at him.

My question: How do I approach my produce stocker about checking out his jeans and not his ass?

Literally the same thing happened to me. I was in my university's cafeteria and I see a familiar back pocket stitching. I check them out, ask whether they're Nudies, and get an odd look and the apprehensive "I'm not sure" speech. There wasn't a Nudie tag on them though, so I'm guessing that they were these "Yes!" jeans as well.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Do you like it, the raw?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads