• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Average tailor prices in pounds £££ ???

Casanova White

Reaction score
Just wondering what prices I should be looking for when getting alterations.

Can people please tell me what they are paying for these alterations.

Shirts
Sleeves Shortened
Sleeves Slimmed down
Body taken in

Suits
Trousers shortened
Sleeves shortened
body taken in

There is a place called Stitches in Manchester who want

Shirts
Sleeves Shortened - £11
Sleeves Slimmed down
Body taken in - £12

Suits
Trousers shortened - £9
Sleeves shortened - £17 (with vent)
body taken in - £22 (side seams)
£15 (back seams)

Seems very steep to me!!

CW

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds cheaper than London

Casanova White

Reaction score
Really?

I haven't seen much mention of prices for tailoring in the UK mentioned here, but in the US it seems much cheaper.

It seems illogical for me to buy, for example, a £25 TM Lewin shirt if I then need to spend a similar amount again to get it altered so that it fits me properly.

It would appear Asian MtM may be the way to go.

CW

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casanova White
Really?

I haven't seen much mention of prices for tailoring in the UK mentioned here, but in the US it seems much cheaper.

It seems illogical for me to buy, for example, a £25 TM Lewin shirt if I then need to spend a similar amount again to get it altered so that it fits me properly.

It would appear Asian MtM may be the way to go.

CW

Did you just move from the US? I gave up converting years ago. It will just drive you nuts.

If you want to stick with £25 shirts, then yes the proportinal cost of tailoring will be high. Lewin does offer multipe sleeve lengths. Tyrwhitt offers a slim fit, and choice of sleeve lengths...

Or go MTM

K

Casanova White

Reaction score
Nah not moved from the US but I cant help comparing prices here and there especially as with the dollar being about 2 to the pound it's so straight forward to convert.

Lewin also do a slim fit but when I tried one on a while ago they didnt seem that slim.

Guess I shall start having to look into MtM.

CW

Reaction score
If you want a good alteration guy in Manchester try Vic Clement (near the Roadhouse). He's about the same price as you mentioned but also a full time tailor to boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads