• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Average markup on the stuff on Buy & Sell

yellman

Reaction score
I realize that this is a small sample size and the question is not perfect, but the results so far are interesting.

The two biggest groups are 80% plus and 11-20% markup

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Ask yourself: How much markup would it take to get you to buy an item, photograph it attractively, Photoshop and crop the pics, host them online, take measurements, post the item on SF, answer questions (many from non-buyers), package the item, give Paypal its share, go to the post office, pay for shipping/insurance and deal with any misc. headaches along the way? There you go. Bet it's not 15 percent on a $20 tie, while it might be on a $500 suit.

Exactly. I had someone say he wanted to buy a shirt recently, we made arrangements for international shipping, and I sent him my Paypal information. Then he requested more pictures. We're talking about a shirt I'd already marked down (I was going to get $20 total, including the international shipping) and the available picture was already quite good. I didn't even respond to his PM at that point. Another guy on a tie (again, already marked down) wanted me to take more pictures, this time knotted on a white shirt and a blue shirt. Good grief. I was asking around $15 for a tie that retails for 8-10x that.

So don't ask me what my markup is. If it's not selling, I'll mark it down. If you make me a reasonable offer, I may take it. If you start making excessive requests then don't be surprised if I decide my time is worth more than you're paying.

I assume most sellers start out asking the most they think the market will bear, regardless of the percent markup.
Exactly. 'Markup' is irrelevant.

Signed
Grumpy

PS Generally I'm quite easy to get along with.
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Signed
Grumpy

PS Generally I'm quite easy to get along with.
smile.gif

What if I were to say that fedoras should have narrow brims...or no brim at all.

What then?

- B

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
this is where i dont get this OP:

case in point, there was once a person here who found a BNIB John Lobb Prestige shoes in a popular size and color at the SALVATION ARMY.

was only 2 bux for him to purchase.

I saw the photos. absolutely brand new, non reject, first quality, dark brown (i think if i remember) Prestige shoes for basically free.

he was honest enough to even mention he got them for 2 dollars.

he turned them around and sold them for like 600-700 if i remember on ebay. basically turning a 3500% profit.

now:
if the op or any buyer figured that out, are they entitled to get it at the price he paid or near it? are they now not getting a good deal because the seller got it for free? were they gipped" taken advantage of in any way??

this has nothing to do with them.

your concern should only be 1) i got a deal yes or no 2) did i get what was described to me.

that is all.

are you entitled to steal that shoe from him for 20 bux or so? why?
why should he throw away his luck and fortune to someone who wants the shoe thinking they are entitled to same price perceived to have been paid for by seller?
that basically transfers the fortune to the buyer and the seller is left with nothing. why is the seller only a service man for the buyer? is the buyer always entitled and the seller has to take a sacrifice whenever he sells something?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Offering $50 cash money hos to the first dude who can lead me to this Salvation Army

I'll offer 10% more: $55.

- B

yellman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
this is where i dont get this OP:

I am not passing judgement on an individuals profit or loss, I am just merely curious.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yellman
I am not passing judgement on an individuals profit or loss, I am just merely curious.

6448.gif
6448.gif

6448.gif
6448.gif
6448.gif

6448.gif
6448.gif
6448.gif

6448.gif
6448.gif
6448.gif

6448.gif
6448.gif
6448.gif

6448.gif
6448.gif
6448.gif

6448.gif
6448.gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yellman

But not curious enough to have ever brought anything listed on B&S?

stirpot.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty

stirpot.gif

im not sure but i think yellman has bought an item from me once. sounds familiar.
it may have been a streetwear item from post april09 , in that case, he got a good deal, as i lose all money on all prices of streetwear jeans i sold after that date.

yellman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty

stirpot.gif

I have done business on the b&s

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"case in point, there was once a person here who found a BNIB John Lobb Prestige shoes in a popular size and color at the SALVATION ARMY.

was only 2 bux for him to purchase."

You really needed to post a warning for those with cardiac problems before posting this. Wow.
I am 99% a buyer and agree with your post %100 BTW. I have gotten great deals on B&S (including BNIB Lobb Prestige for $630) and have not agonized over what the seller paid.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i've said this before in another thread, but i'll repeat it. i'm both a buyer and a seller on B&S. many times i know exactly how much the seller paid for the item, but it matters not - if it is a good deal for me i will pull the trigger and not lose a moment's thought. i think the highest markup i've paid (that i've been able to confirm) is about 500%. i still got a great deal so i could care less. i have bought an item on B&S that i could have walked into a store and bought the same item for half the price. but the store didn't have my size and the B&S seller did. it was worth the asking price to me so i cheerfully paid it - i got an item i'd been looking for at a great deal, and a fellow member was compensated for finding it for me. smiles all around
smile.gif

Volkl

Reaction score
Only a buyer, not a seller, but I have been extremely pleased with every transaction I have had on B&S over the last several months. Everything has been fairly priced and quickly shipped. If those guys are making a bit of money, that seems more than fair to me.
Of course I'm hugely poorer in aggregate, but ah do my clothes look good!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads