• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Average markup on the stuff on Buy & Sell

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know I'm kind of intersted in this stuff.

Frankly, unless I'm way off on what outlet stores charge, some of the stuff on ebay and B&S makes me wonder how a seller makes any sort of profit.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about exclusively NWT items?

Because I sold a suit I paid a pretty penny for -- and wore once -- recently at a loss of about 75%.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
Are you talking about exclusively NWT items?

Because I sold a suit I paid a pretty penny for -- and wore once -- recently at a loss of about 75%.

this is more the case for me. most of my stuff is worn once, sold for pennies on the dollar because of the stigma that comes with 'preowned' no matter how good it is or how it can pass for new.

lot of my stuff i sell bnwt, just stuff i bought on a whim and later down the road found something else or got disinterested. so i sell for less.

i lose more than i make more. but every once in awhile there are some jewels to pick up to sell for a small profit.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on the seller's revenue model. I think that most people just have a few items that were in their closet that they'd like to cut their losses on. In most of these cases, the seller is taking a loss, although, since they are stuck with the stupid item anyway, you could consider any money made to be salvage, and thus, 100% profit - minor expenses - time.

The second type of seller sees a good deal at a discount store or at a clearance sale, and decides that they might makes some money flipping stuff. As someone said, markup depends on what the market will bear. I've seen 10%-200%. When I used to do this, I think that I wouldn't buy to sell unless I thought that I could get keystone (2x my purchase price) for the item, since some items would not get sold, some items would have to be marked down a lot, etc... Since I figured that unless an item was highly sought after, that anything over 50% of retail was going to be thought of as a high asking price, I would only buy to sell things that were 75+% off retail. There were, of course, exceptions.

The third type of seller are the professional jobbers, who buy end of season overstock from regular resellers, or manufacturers' overstock. A big chain like TJ Maxx, when they are feeling generous, will give source retailers $0.08 on the retail dollar, but I imagine that in this economy, retailers would be lucky to get $0.05 n the retail dollar. Small jobbers probably need to pay a little more, but I'd imagine that $0.10 on the retail dollar is common these days. Again, the markup will be higher or lower depending on what the markup will bear. I imagine that someone with a pair of Mantellassi fatto a mano's could command a 200-300% markup, which that same person might have to sell some knit from a niche company at close to their own cost to get even a nibble.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I assume most sellers start out asking the most they think the market will bear, regardless of the percent markup.

+1. And the Incotex analogy is a good one. Daffy's price was $13, sold on B&S for $70, dropped to $60, dropped to $50 and every now and then for $40-45. So the original mark-up was about 500% and as B&S became saturated the prices went down. In the aftermath there were many of us who were lucky to recoup our original investments on pairs that didn't work out...so the "markup" was negative. I know most of the stuff I sell is hoping-to-break-even but, even with occasional losses, it's hella less expensive than walking down Michigan Ave.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You know, there are costs associated with buying a Banana Republic tie, carefully removing the label, and then hand-sewing a Kiton label in its place. I expect my customers to pay a premium for such parts and labor.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
You know, there are costs associated with buying a Banana Republic tie, carefully removing the label, and then hand-sewing a Kiton label in its place. I expect my customers to pay a premium for such parts and labor.
Don't bother sewing another tag, dude. Just indicate in your FS post that the Kiton tag fell off, that you must therefore sell it as NWOT and you will give an extra $10 discount to compensate - first come first serve! Works all the time.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
+1. And the Incotex analogy is a good one. Daffy's price was $13, sold on B&S for $70, dropped to $60, dropped to $50 and every now and then for $40-45. So the original mark-up was about 500% and as B&S became saturated the prices went down. In the aftermath there were many of us who were lucky to recoup our original investments on pairs that didn't work out...so the "markup" was negative. I know most of the stuff I sell is hoping-to-break-even but, even with occasional losses, it's hella less expensive than walking down Michigan Ave.

Daffy's price was $20+. A few cheaper ones only showed up later on.

phdude

Reaction score
not equal to, but approaching infinity as i continue to steal more items for resale here.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Don't bother sewing another tag, dude. Just indicate in your FS post that the Kiton tag fell off, that you must therefore sell it as NWOT and you will give an extra $10 discount to compensate - first come first serve! Works all the time.

Good thinking. I've got a huge shipment of no-label cheapos coming in from Hong Kong tomorrow morning, and not enough fake Kiton labels for all of them. I'll give your method a shot.

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Good thinking. I've got a huge shipment of no-label cheapos coming in from Hong Kong tomorrow morning, and not enough fake Kiton labels for all of them. I'll give your method a shot.

^^^^ small-timer.

They already have plenty of places to get fake stuff already with lables on it for you to resell on ebay.

laugh.gif

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s

That would have to be a hell of a lot of unsold pairs to go negative

Sellers don't need to tell sob stories here to justify their markup

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
That would have to be a hell of a lot of unsold pairs to go negative

Sellers don't need to tell sob stories here to justify their markup

I don't think it's a "sob story" but there's definitely a learning curve to finding out what sells and what won't

What I see all too often is prices being marked down hurriedly by sellers who would be better off boxing up their supply to sell again on B&S at a later date

On the other hand, I've sold a couple of items much faster than I ever thought possible given the color or pattern (which I wouldn't dream of wearing sometimes)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you guys thought of developing a cartel or some sort of price-fixing framework?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads